Author Topic: My double jaw surgery experience  (Read 9884 times)

justme

My double jaw surgery experience
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:07:49 PM »
Hi,

soon it will be 5 years since I had my double jaw surgery. In addition to a double jaw surgery, I also underwent two sliding genioplasties.  I went ahead and created a dedicated website at http://myorthognathic.surgery which I hope will be helpful to those who are planning on undergoing a jaw surgery or have already undergone one.

PS: Surgeon who performed all the surgeries is considered one of the world's best orthognathic surgeons and was trained by dr. William Arnett (Santa Barbara, CA). Sometimes I wonder what on earth did dr. Arnett teach him... Note to self: do not trust big names and titles.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:50:54 PM by justme »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: My double jaw surgery experience
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »
Sadly your results are probably more the norm than is often thought. it would be helpful with a before pic though of what you looked like before any surgery.

justme

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »
Just click on "Photos" at the top menu ...there are several albums with befores and afters.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »
oh man, so i really need your help now. My upper lip is also too far out, i mean the whole upper part the philltrum etc. and part of it is cause i have like 4mm thick lip tissue which I remember Arnett saying he hadn't seen someone with so much lip tissue. Do you recommend this procedure to lessen it? I think that's rubbish.

Dr. Sinn says its the way the teeth are set also, which makes sense since my ortho is a f**king moron. My bite fits perfectly but it still looks like my lower jaw is too far back even though I've had jaw surgery and a very big genio (9mm). Honestly I feel like I need to see Dr. Gunson for the fix since the falt may be in my anatomy. What do you think has helped if anything? If I were to send you my pics you'd see the same thing, the lower chin/jaw is still behind the upper. even though the chin comes swooping out it doesn't look right.

justme

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
Sure, feel free to send me your pixs, will PM you my email.  May I ask when did dr. Arnett tell you about the lip tissue? The date is important here, trust me...

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Sure, feel free to send me your pixs, will PM you my email.  May I ask when did dr. Arnett tell you about the lip tissue? The date is important here, trust me...

well it was when i consulted with him which I think was 2013/2014, so a hell of a while ago.  Just to be clear, you actually had lip tissue removed so that the lip would not protrude as much? What about adding tissue or some graft or redoing the jaw surgery so the lower jaw or orthagnathic line was solid? I don't even know if its possible.

justme

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »
well it was when i consulted with him which I think was 2013/2014, so a hell of a while ago.  Just to be clear, you actually had lip tissue removed so that the lip would not protrude as much? What about adding tissue or some graft or redoing the jaw surgery so the lower jaw or orthagnathic line was solid? I don't even know if its possible.

Yes, I did think the lip would shift back a little. Unfortunately,  lip remained protruding, except now it was thinner. The reason I asked about the date was because dr. Arnett was present during my lip correction procedure (this was in the beginning of 2015); my surgeon performed it, but he was next to him - coaching... So it happened that he was visiting Grybauskas during that period. The day before surgery, when I met dr. Arnett for the first time and he had examined my upper lip, I could see he had no idea on what to do with it. But I insisted that something had to be done, cause it was very frustrating to see something like that.

I still don't know what is the cause of that tissue. Some say it's scarring, others say it's improperly stitched lip post-surgery. My own surgeon says it's just how my lip is (he is the only one who says so...).

It's been two years since the procedure, and I must say that some of the tissue that was removed - grew back (imagine that!). Basically, it still looking ugly.

Your situation may be different, but every surgeon I consulted with, told me that revision jaw surgery in my case (either double or only on the lower jaw) is not recommended so I have to simply get over it, which is very difficult, as lip protrusion was one of the main reasons for me starting the treatment. I have not really found a surgeon who would offer any treatment options (again, this applies to my case - your situation may be different). Most surgeons do agree that I have big spaces between lips and teeth (meaning teeth have no support - upper lip hanging in the air, lower lip - falling back into the mouth).

ppsk

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:32:20 AM »
so i noticed this immediately:

"Lower jaw advanced 22 mm"

This is a huge advancement, and according to some surgeons a lower jaw advancement beyond 10mm is almost guaranteed to be unstable long term and relapse is assured.

This is the work of Dr G, as in Simonas G? f**king hell.

justme

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:56:22 AM »
so i noticed this immediately:

"Lower jaw advanced 22 mm"

This is a huge advancement, and according to some surgeons a lower jaw advancement beyond 10mm is almost guaranteed to be unstable long term and relapse is assured.

This is the work of Dr G, as in Simonas G? f**king hell.

Yes, same doctor. You know him?

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »

DUDE I just looked at your blog and you look good in your after pics!!!   
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

justme

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 10:27:12 AM »
DUDE I just looked at your blog and you look good in your after pics!!!

If you are talking about the post-FIRST surgery photos, then - yes, things looked more or less tolerable. But if you are talking about post-SECOND surgery photos, then I have to disagree, cause everything looks messed up pretty badly. That is one of the reasons why I am really disappointed, cause he decided to do major changes and convinced me that those changes would be for the better. Second surgery just ruined whatever good was left from the first one.

ppsk

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »

Know of him simply because of the prestige associated with this name by way of being an Arnett disciple

justme

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »
Know of him simply because of the prestige associated with this name by way of being an Arnett disciple

Right. He is also member of royal something of Edinburgh + holder of all usual titles (md, phd, dds and hell knows what else). In addition, he is also the most arrogant person I've ever met, biggest lier and manipulator. Personally I also question his medical skills and treatment practices as he tends to hide details of what he really plans on doing during the surgery and also fails to inform of the potential consequences. To me he is a plain criminal.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:04:48 PM by justme »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »
Right. He is also member of royal something of Edinburgh + holder of all usual titles (md, phd, dds and hell knows what else). In addition, he is also the most arrogant person I've ever met, biggest lier and manipulator. Personally I also question his medical skills and treatment practices as he tends to hide details of what he really plans on doing during the surgery and also fails to inform of the potential consequences. To me he is a plain criminal.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/17/dr-bateman-why-the-field-of-medicine-attracts-so-many-psychos.html

justme

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/17/dr-bateman-why-the-field-of-medicine-attracts-so-many-psychos.html

So true. One thing that is not mentioned on my website, to not scare the s**t out of people, is that during last surgery with Grybauskas (august/2015), I woke up in the middle of the surgery and was kept conciuos till it was completed (for about an extra hour) while surgical manipulations went on. I never received an explanation on why it happened (I was supposed to be under general anesthesia) and I never received even a sligthest apology from Grybauskas himself - as if this is normal for a patient to wake up in the middle of surgery while the screws and plates are being removed from the jaws. I suspect this may had been done on purpose in response to me complaining (kind of like trying to teach me a lesson...) as he has connections and all and everyone is listening to him. I suspect he instructed anesthesiologist to wake me up like that (by the way - I never saw that anesthesiologist after surgery ever again). Ah, also it took like 20 attempts, for some unknown reason..., for the nurse to properly stick needle into my vein while I was already on operating table (how relaxing is that, right?).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:38:13 PM by justme »