Author Topic: Dental Floss vs. Waterpik  (Read 2421 times)

kjohnt

Dental Floss vs. Waterpik
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »
When I started with braces I was pretty diligent about continuing to floss my teeth after brushing before bed.  Then I told myself every other night was good enough.  Then it turned into every few, once a week, and so on.  I recently ran out of the floss with the threader on the end of each string so I've basically quit at this point.  It feels like too much trouble.

I've heard of the Waterpik and similar products as alternatives.  Do any of you use one, and if so, how do you like it?  Does it completely replace your need to floss?  Pros/cons?

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Dental Floss vs. Waterpik
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:24:47 PM »
The waterpik will get particles out, but it won't remove plaque. Floss, dude.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

anona_mz

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »
The Waterpik is WONDERFUL for braces! If you can, do both, but at the very least do either or. But still try to floss as often as possible.
Pros: Easier than flossing when your braced. Makes teeth feel much cleaner than brushing and flossing alone. Will get out most stubborn food particles that brushing or flossing can miss. Add Listerine for an even cleaner feeling. There are many different attachments and adjustable levels. IMO more hygienic than flossing because the water immediately washes particles and bacteria from the mouth, whereas flossing I feel leaves some of that nastiness behind to get swallowed and what have you.
Cons: Big and bulky. Not travel friendly and takes up valuable counter space. Needs to be cleaned often, at least one a week I'd say since mold will grow on it quickly if you don't take the time to wipe it down or dry it after every use.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 03:25:56 PM »
The Waterpik is WONDERFUL for braces! If you can, do both, but at the very least do either or. But still try to floss as often as possible.
Pros: Easier than flossing when your braced. Makes teeth feel much cleaner than brushing and flossing alone. Will get out most stubborn food particles that brushing or flossing can miss. Add Listerine for an even cleaner feeling. There are many different attachments and adjustable levels. IMO more hygienic than flossing because the water immediately washes particles and bacteria from the mouth, whereas flossing I feel leaves some of that nastiness behind to get swallowed and what have you.
Cons: Big and bulky. Not travel friendly and takes up valuable counter space. Needs to be cleaned often, at least one a week I'd say since mold will grow on it quickly if you don't take the time to wipe it down or dry it after every use.

While most of that is true, a waterpik won't remove plaque, which is the main reason to floss between teeth. Plaque is sticky, and a waterpik simply won't remove that. It's odd you feel cleaner after doing it since all the plague (on which bacteria grows and causes decay) is left behind. It makes me wonder if you floss properly. Tongue scraping is also essential. Without it, much of what is on the tongue gets deposited around the mouth, even after brushing and flossing. It's also good to use a waterpik on the lowest setting. My perio said higher settings can damage sensitive gum tissue.

anona_mz

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
Lol, I'm not sure if I floss properly either... which is why the Waterpik is wonderful to me. I read that if you don't floss properly than better to not floss at all. I use my Waterpik at the highest setting so it does clean my teeth really well like a pressure washer lol. And it gets all the gunk that's stuck in the braces that floss cannot get to. While I was using my Waterpik I received compliments from my dental hygienist, that my dental hygiene was really good. She couldn't stop raving. I did lie and told her I was flossing everyday as well, which was more like once a week. Now that I only floss and brush, my teeth do not feel as clean.
Also, when I do floss and brush and follow up with the Waterpik I did notice that sometimes there were still stuff stuck in my teeth that weren't removed by flossing and brushing.

I just googled it and research shows that the Waterpik is more effective at removing plaque than string flossing:

In 2005, the first clinical study comparing the Waterpik® Water Flosser to string floss found that water flossing provides enhanced plaque removal.

This finding was confirmed in a 2009 independent study at the University of Southern California Center for Dental Biofilms. Using scanning electron microscopy (SEM), researchers demonstrated that the Water Flosser removed up to 99.9% of plaque biofilm from the treated area.

A 2013 independent study added to the clinical evidence. Test subjects using a Waterpik® Water Flosser in conjunction with a manual toothbrush had up to 29% better reduction in plaque biofilm than people who used a manual toothbrush and string floss.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »
Lol, I'm not sure if I floss properly either... which is why the Waterpik is wonderful to me. I read that if you don't floss properly than better to not floss at all. I use my Waterpik at the highest setting so it does clean my teeth really well like a pressure washer lol. And it gets all the gunk that's stuck in the braces that floss cannot get to. While I was using my Waterpik I received compliments from my dental hygienist, that my dental hygiene was really good. She couldn't stop raving. I did lie and told her I was flossing everyday as well, which was more like once a week. Now that I only floss and brush, my teeth do not feel as clean.
Also, when I do floss and brush and follow up with the Waterpik I did notice that sometimes there were still stuff stuck in my teeth that weren't removed by flossing and brushing.

I just googled it and research shows that the Waterpik is more effective at removing plaque than string flossing:

In 2005, the first clinical study comparing the Waterpik® Water Flosser to string floss found that water flossing provides enhanced plaque removal.

This finding was confirmed in a 2009 independent study at the University of Southern California Center for Dental Biofilms. Using scanning electron microscopy (SEM), researchers demonstrated that the Water Flosser removed up to 99.9% of plaque biofilm from the treated area.

A 2013 independent study added to the clinical evidence. Test subjects using a Waterpik® Water Flosser in conjunction with a manual toothbrush had up to 29% better reduction in plaque biofilm than people who used a manual toothbrush and string floss.

Cool, good luck.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
Can't spare the 15 minutes it takes?

anona_mz

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »
For me it's not about the time it takes, but rather the convenience of the Waterpik and it's effectiveness. I didn't not floss, just didn't do it every night. I have a small mouth so to floss with braces was especially difficult for me. Plus it just doesn't feel as clean.

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 12:15:33 PM »
I seldom floss, when flossing you can't avoid the mirror  :'(
Harvest, Harvest, Wherever You May Be; I Am the Lord of the Cartilage, Said He.

kjohnt

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I've done some research and the mixed opinions within this thread seem to parallel those of the greater first world population. 

I just purchased this on Amazon: https://www.waterpik.com/oral-health/products/water-flosser-toothbrush/WP-862W/.

My plan is to use this nightly and then floss once or twice each week just in case.  I have a dental checkup in a few months so I'll be curious to hear what they have to say about the condition of my teeth and gums.  I'll try to remember to report back.

kjohnt

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 04:56:27 PM »
...Needs to be cleaned often, at least one a week I'd say since mold will grow on it quickly if you don't take the time to wipe it down or dry it after every use...

This is my biggest concern at this point - the still water sitting in there.  I have the same concern with my Keurig.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »
This is my biggest concern at this point - the still water sitting in there.  I have the same concern with my Keurig.
Floss.

anona_mz

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 10:49:09 PM »
Awesome! I'm sure you will like it. A couple tips: 1) start on the one of the lower levels first and work your way up. The highest setting is pretty strong so you don't wanna go right into it. 2) lean over your sink and put your head down towards the sink to prevent the water from splashing all over. It takes awhile to get used to, but don't give up! 3) lastly add some mouthwash in the well. It just makes it feel and taste better. I heard it may have some gingivitis prevention benefit but I just do it because it feels good. I'm glad you are at least taking a step towards better dental hygiene. I know flossing is most recommended, but it sucks. Most people I know don't do it everyday. Besides, it's exciting to see all the food particles that come out of your teeth when you use the water pick lol. Keep us posted on what you hygienist says! I'm sure you'll get a positive review if you are diligent and use it everyday.