Author Topic: 5-8mm maxillary recession, narrow arches. Is surgery my only option?  (Read 3704 times)

Lefortitude

Hi all,,

my bad extraction retraction orthodontist pulled a bicuspid in my maxilla and retracted it so now its about 5-8 mm retracted according to literature.

I have no jaw line or chin, my midface is sunken in, my tongue does not fit in the palate and im pretty sure im pre OSA from the recession. 

Theres a functional ortho in my area who works with myobrace, ALF and other functional devices and claims he can expand my jaws (even though im an adult) replace the extracted tooth.  im assuming since about 7 mm is required for a tooth implant, i would get about 5 mm of forward growth.

Do you think this is possible?  Ive herd of cases of maxillary expansion in adults but traditional orthodontic literature seems to disagree.

my other option is going ahead and starting the process for schedueling a consultation with Arnet/Gunson for CCW bimax

Am i wasting my time with the orthodontics?

any help would be appreciated

ExtractionsRuinFaces

Re: 5-8mm maxillary recession, narrow arches. Is surgery my only option?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 04:19:58 AM »
I've already been down that road with an ALF appliance, it didnt do s**t (I got some slight dental expansion like with damon braces but the underlying structure didnt change at all). I'm now looking into getting getting a LF1 + BSSO, IMO you should just go ahead and consult with surgeons.

zygotic

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »
I had orthodontic work to attempt expansion but it didn't work. It was around 1 year with an ALF appliance and 18 months train tracks. I think the whole thing was a ruse and another ortho could have achieved the same in a year.

If you go the surgery route, how would you expand your palate?

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 06:12:44 AM »
I had orthodontic work to attempt expansion but it didn't work. It was around 1 year with an ALF appliance and 18 months train tracks. I think the whole thing was a ruse and another ortho could have achieved the same in a year.

If you go the surgery route, how would you expand your palate?

Sounds like me except I only had 12 months in braces, lol. I think my bite is actually worse now which is very unfortunate. Since I have some small gaps where the extractions were done that might actually add treatment time to the surgery since they may have to close the gaps to decompensate the bite, total f**kery  >:(

Lefortitude

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 07:28:57 PM »
Ive seen so many before and afters of successful expansion in adults! Dr. William Hang in LA, Dr. Brad Lockhart in Tustin, and Dr. Kent Lauson in Colorado all claim this expansion is possible.  aswell as obviously the famous Prof. John Mew and Dr. Mike Mew. 

I felt that surely this was enough evidence that it worked.  Results like

https://www.dnaappliance.com/Gallery_pages/case-studies.html

convinced me that it was the right direction to go. 

Guess I shud give A&G a call

gymerus

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »
Any news about your investigation in expansion after extraction ?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »
Some notes:

Link to dna appliance does not work anymore.

IMO, expansion really works well when it's SARPE (Surgically Assisted Palate Expansion).

DNA appliance is in catagory of orthopedic appliances of which there are a variety of them. They are great for the 'finishing touch' when more expansion than you already have would look much better. But when 'MORE' is much LESS SARPE.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »
SARPE is your only option. Even surgical expansion doesn't do s**t.

Lefortitude

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 07:45:11 PM »
SARPE is your only option. Even surgical expansion doesn't do s**t.

I forgot i made this thread.  im going to ask the surgeons about a segmented LF to gain the transverse maxillary expansion.  i also have short midface (1 cm) and mandible (2 cm), with a steep mandible plane and short lower anterior facial height.  so the transverse expansion isnt a top priority.