Author Topic: Hyperelastic Printed Bone Developed By US Team  (Read 7061 times)

ptc

Hyperelastic Printed Bone Developed By US Team
« on: January 26, 2017, 03:09:36 AM »
A new material has been created by a team at Northwestern University in the US. It mixes hydroxyapatite (90%) with a synthetic material polycaprolactone. The resulting composite is hyperelastic and strong, and exhibits elastic mechanical properties (~32 to 67% strain to failure, ~4 to 11 MPa elastic modulus). It has been dubbed hyperelastic bone (HB).

I believe this new material can solve some of the problems associated with CT-Bone. CT-Bone may be brittle and prone to shattering, but HB is elastic and won't fail in the same way. The synthetic material used is also biodegradable, so will be replaced by bone over time. This new product may be exactly what people have been looking for in terms of creating bone augmenting implants.

I would love to see implants be developed from this stuff. Maybe someone can contact Xilloc about this, as they make the best. Hopefully it won't be too hard to switch from CT-Bone to HB.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/28/13094642/hyperelastic-bone-graft-substance-unveiled

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160929-synthetic-3d-printed-hyperelastic-bone-induces-bone-regeneration-could-mend-broken-bones.html

http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/8/358/358ra127

Cross-section of a 3-D printed adult human femur

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:32:22 PM by ptc »

Lestat

Re: Hyperelastic Printed Bone Developed By US Team
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »
And will it be available soon?

ptc

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
And will it be available soon?

It says in this article that they hope to begin testing it in humans within five years.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/28/13094642/hyperelastic-bone-graft-substance-unveiled

I hope it doesn't take as long as this. There is nothing actually new in the product, it's just they way they've mixed it that's new. It's 99.9% sure to be safe. The clinical trial process always takes forever though. I just hope they know that there are people whose faces need fixing NOW.

Lestat

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »
It's 99.9% sure to be safe.

I hope you are right. I am not that optimistic. :-\

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 09:05:10 PM »
Here's a video on HB...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/print-demand-bone-could-quickly-mend-major-injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-VdPeoVCAI

Wel I'm not optimistic because it's great for injuries i.e. breaks between bones where there should be bone and which would "guide" bone cells to rejoin, but what is the mechanism that would cause the surface of your zygomatic arch or your orbital rim to guide bone cells into an onlay of this material? That is, how would it work as an onlay implant that would cause bone to grow into it. So far it seems it is really just for grafting between osteotomies. As Dr. Sinn has said, there's nothing that can cause bone to grow into an onlay only between breaks. Also since it's biodegradable, it would just disappear over time if used as an onlay.

The only possible application here is that it "might" be used as a better grafting substitute to do father ostoetomies but you'd still need someone to actually do a lefort 3 etc. on you. And even if it's tested etc. don't expect it sooner than the 2030s.

I actually thought 2020s was going to be the decade all the crazy s**t in nano surgery and regenerative medicine was going to happen, but it's more likely gonna take place in the 2030s. I'm becoming more and more disenchanted by the idea of any "breakthrough" type thing happening before then.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
The big medical breakthroughs were facilitated by big wars - put the bodies back into action or some useful economic capacity ASAP. But the next big war will be fought with drones, so I don't think it will help as much.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 09:58:13 PM »
The big medical breakthroughs were facilitated by big wars - put the bodies back into action or some useful economic capacity ASAP. But the next big war will be fought with drones, so I don't think it will help as much.

True, but plastic surgery is becoming a growing business too.

Lestat

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »
I am not impressed.

Lestat

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
-"This year, Stryker Corporation developed a 3D printed Tritanium (the brand name of Stryker’s alloy material, used in their powder bed laser sintering process) Posterior Lumbar Cage Spinal Implant. The implant was showcased at the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) Annual Scientific Meeting. Using virtual reality technology, the presentation showed viewers the evolution of Stryker’s manufacturing before giving a virtual tour of the Stryker facility, including a close-up look at the implant. Expanding upon existing implant technology, and over a decade worth of research, the spinal implant is porous, and resembles bone tissue. Given its flexible, permeable state, early trials suggest that the implant may encourage natural bone growth, leading to a longer-lasting, more functional implant, that behaves like natural bone."

http://www.prweb.com/releases/lam2017/stryker/prweb14029853.htm

ptc

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »
I am not impressed.

What impresses you, magic?  This technology could be the biggest break through ever in the field of craniofacial surgery.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:51:16 AM by GJ »

ptc

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »

Wel I'm not optimistic because it's great for injuries i.e. breaks between bones where there should be bone and which would "guide" bone cells to rejoin, but what is the mechanism that would cause the surface of your zygomatic arch or your orbital rim to guide bone cells into an onlay of this material? That is, how would it work as an onlay implant that would cause bone to grow into it. So far it seems it is really just for grafting between osteotomies. As Dr. Sinn has said, there's nothing that can cause bone to grow into an onlay only between breaks. Also since it's biodegradable, it would just disappear over time if used as an onlay.

The only possible application here is that it "might" be used as a better grafting substitute to do father ostoetomies but you'd still need someone to actually do a lefort 3 etc. on you. And even if it's tested etc. don't expect it sooner than the 2030s.

I actually thought 2020s was going to be the decade all the crazy s**t in nano surgery and regenerative medicine was going to happen, but it's more likely gonna take place in the 2030s. I'm becoming more and more disenchanted by the idea of any "breakthrough" type thing happening before then.

If you bothered to read the articles I linked you would see that plastic surgery is one of the applications for this material. This material can do everything CT-Bone does but it is flexible. That means it has more potential applications. Surgeries using this material will be easier to perform because it is not rigid. That means easier recoveries too, and not complications because of brittleness.

ptc

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 12:35:18 PM »
For those people that don't get what HB is all about, here is what it will be able to do in terms of implants.

1. Chin implant. A chin implant that turns into bone, but is even easier to place than silicone.

2. Cheek bone implants. Implants that augment the whole zygomatic region and orbital rim. The flexibility of this material is especially useful for this application.

3. Full jaw implant. An implant that augments the whole jaw at once including rami, jaw angles and chin. This will be a superior replacement for chin wing procedures.

4. Brow ridge augmentation. The first real surgery to augment the brow ridge of patients that actually creates new bone.

5. Mid face augmentation. New mid face augmentation procedures that aren't possible today will be able to be developed using HB. It will be able to correct deformities that surgeons usually don't touch.

This is just a taste of what HB will be able to do. There are so many possible developments that can be made with this material that no one can predict right now what might be possible in 4-5 years, but it will certainly revolutionise craniofacial and cosmetic surgery.

Lestat

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
What impresses you, magic? Don't be stupid.

Lol.
You would be surprised.

ptc

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »
Lol.
You would be surprised.

I googled your name and you got it from a vampire film, or novel. Is that what you mean?