Author Topic: TADs can be good, but can negatively effect the airway in certain cases  (Read 839 times)

dovidiostore

• Private
I was doing a good amount of research on them recently as i am a high-anxious poster who had jaw surgery for an open-bite and was always concerned about if i the TADs would have worked etc and have learned a bit about other potential risks

It is thought that the goal of orthodontics and treatment planning is health-based, which is true, however there are treatments done where the orthodontists ignore how it could effect the airway such as removing teeth+retracting an overbite or overjet, or doing the same with TADs. While more patients will be able to be treated non-surgically with them, careful attention should be made to the implications they could have for the patient's airway. I learned that dental camouflage in certain cases can negatively effect the airway - which makes sense as there are people who had an elimination or improvement in sleep apnea from tooth movement alone, and vice versa. There are a lot of good things about TADs (obviously), not a lot of bad, but this is more-so serving as a reminder that certain movements using TADs could create breathing issues or sleep apnea

for example, this is a case where tads were used to retract the anterior incisors with success, but with noticeable narrowing of the patient's airway
https://imgur.com/a/Mqad2

zygotic

Re: TADs can be good, but can negatively effect the airway in certain cases
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »
Do you know if TADs can be used for protrusions, or is it only intrusions?

dovidiostore

• Private
Re: TADs can be good, but can negatively effect the airway in certain cases
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »
they can be used for both. i think if they push the teeth outward it could potentially have a positive effect on the airways too