Author Topic: what are the chances jaw surgery cured my high blood pressure/hypertension?  (Read 877 times)

dovidiostore

• Private
hey. so one of my hopeful health related benefits of the surgery pre-op was thinking the surgery would alleviate my hypertension. i'm only 27 and my systolic blood pressure used to always be about 150-160, sometimes 170 over 80 when i was in my early 20s. not only that, i could always tell too by the way my body felt that my pressure was high. was checked out by a heart doctor for concerns of heart palpitations and such, an abnormal ekg but the echo at the time was normal. medications also didn't help lower my pressure for some reason. i only had a lefort 1, so no double jaw surgery. the lower jaw swung up and forward as a result, giving me more of a chin, but am unsure if that helps in the airway in any way - however i do remember having sleep issues before - would always breathe through my mouth at night and during the day. it felt like i had UARS (upper airway resistance syndrome) which it felt like it was tough to nasal breathe primarily. never felt properly rested, would have huge dark circles under my eyes all the time, etc. i think it felt easier to mouth-breathe that way, or more practical for better airflow. or because i had an open bite and my mouth was always open. whichever the case, since the surgery i'm no longer a mouth breather and get better sleep now and don't mouth breathe/wake up in drool etc. it does feels easier to breathe through my nose. recently began monitoring my blood pressure again, and am realizing it's been normal. either 120-130 over 80 which is a huge improvement.

does this theory sound correct or plausible? i'm moreso looking to feel more positive about the surgery in terms of the health-related benefits. it really didn't make me happy to always have high blood pressure at a young age, and felt like it would catch up to me eventually

thanks for your time!

kjohnt

It is not unreasonable to me that jaw surgery led to larger airway, which in turn led to better ability to breathe, which in turn led to better quality of sleep, which in turn led to better blood pressure readings.

Lazlo

• Private
totally cause it would have made breathing during sleep that much better for you and that can do amazing things. Plus you'd be less stressed, more oxygenated blood. Even mental problems and cancer and especially cardiac arrest are associated with sleep apnea.

Jbird

I've noticed better blood pressure readings since using cpap for osa.  When I get my surgery hopefully will not need cpap and hope my BP stays down.  Better breathing equals better blood pressure for me.