Author Topic: Bioesthetic dentistry  (Read 2032 times)

Mighty_Mouth

Bioesthetic dentistry
« on: May 20, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
Is anyone familiar with OBI and bioesthetic dentistry?  It seems that they use splint therapy to make a diagnosis and then dental restorations as a treatment, calling this type of treatment more conservative.

I have doubts about it, because the full mouth restorations they recommend often include damaging healthy tooth structures to adds crowns, veneers, bonding, etc.

The only stuff I can find online is from the OBI promoting themselves and a few isolated cases of lawsuits saying the whole thing is bunk.  But I haven't found anyone who has actually gone through this process themselves and have been successful.

Their theory seems logical, but there doesn't seem to be much research to support it.  One of the surgeons I consulted with is an OBI instructor, so he's in full support of the ideas and his whole team is also OBI, so there is very little objectivity since they seem to regard themselves as the only ones who "care" about the health of the jaw joint.  I find this pretty hard to believe, as I've seen plenty of evidence from other surgeons who obviously do care about the joint and aren't so concerned that their cosmetic dentist friends get some expensive referrals...

Does any one know if OBI is legit?  Is having a MAGO splint typical (or, would someone like A&G ever recommend splint therapy when indicated)?  I'm confused if this is really a proper treatment.