Author Topic: Alf appliance - experience  (Read 1412 times)

asphyxia

Alf appliance - experience
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
Hello

I got fitted with an upper Alf yesterday afternoon, to get extra mms of intercanince width and reopen somehow extraction spaces.
I'm not going to get into the debate upon whether it's "sound science of not", I just wanted do give it a try, and had my bare share of braces. If some are interested, I'll keep them updated about my experience.
So, until now, here's what I can say :

- I definitely feel a pressure in the maxilla and, a light pressure on the cheekbones
- Got headaches all day, to the point I'm going to take a painkiller before going to bed
- My upper jaw and teeth hurt a lot, just like the first days of braces (And I know this feeling all too well) and I cannot bite into anything, only got liquids and yogurt today
- I breathe much better (pretty incredible), and my nose is slithy red / burning (just like when you caught a cold, more blood flow)

All in all, I wasn't expecting that kind of feelings AT ALL, it's really significant . It's too soon to say if it really works, but I do feel it just like braces, like the bones in my face are "moving" somehow, it's really strange.

Let's wait and see

Lefortitude

Re: Alf appliance - experience
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
please continue to update us!

diculo

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »
Please keep us updated on your progress. Good luck.

asphyxia

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 03:13:22 AM »
Back from my third appointment :
I asked my dentist about the possibility of putting on a lower alf, he said we could do that later.
I'm definitely getting a bit of an open bite on the sides, which is worrying me a little, he said I've still got a some way to go, and not to worry about it.
Gaps are developing between my teeth, especially around the canines, and my arch is noticeably rounder while it was V shaped before.
The canines and incisives are really coming forward to align with the front teeth.
The alf has been adjusted yesterday, and it's a weird feeling. I'm feeling a radiating pressure, not so much on the teeth themselves, but on the whole maxilla, which is pretty amazing. It's not really painful, but really weird, just like when you're pushing your palate with your thumbs.
I'm also feeling some movement in my cheekbones (like I'm blushing) and at the back of my neck, and above the eyes.
I'm feeling pressure on the bridge of my nose, and got an ongoing headache.
Thing are really moving, it's kind of strange to feel your facial bones "moving", but rewarding as well.

Just realized I'm being really descriptive here, but wanted to be precise on "how it feels".