Author Topic: 2nd jaw surgery? Anyone with experiences?  (Read 2645 times)

usedtobepretty

2nd jaw surgery? Anyone with experiences?
« on: March 04, 2017, 04:04:18 AM »
 I had double jaw surery for esthetic reasons (ortho + extractions ruined my face) All I wanted was my face back (lip support, getting rid of shortened profile)
My surgeon was cery conservative , I said I believe 8mm fwd is minimum he went with 5. + 5 mm downgraft.
3 months post op my lip is dropped I show no teeth at rest and they drop downwards (sad face) together w my cheeks. I am seriously devastated and dont know what to do. Terrified to even think of revision. Can anyone share some words of wisdom? Thank you

Vic

Re: 2nd jaw surgery? Anyone with experiences?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:39:59 AM »
I had double jaw surery for esthetic reasons (ortho + extractions ruined my face) All I wanted was my face back (lip support, getting rid of shortened profile)
My surgeon was cery conservative , I said I believe 8mm fwd is minimum he went with 5. + 5 mm downgraft.
3 months post op my lip is dropped I show no teeth at rest and they drop downwards (sad face) together w my cheeks. I am seriously devastated and dont know what to do. Terrified to even think of revision. Can anyone share some words of wisdom? Thank you

Just get a lip lift, it will sort out your issue straightaway with hardly any downtime or risk

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »

I've heard this a few times about the drop in mid-face support.  Were you impacted in the front? 

usedtobepretty

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
Just get a lip lift, it will sort out your issue straightaway with hardly any downtime or risk

Hi Vic, thank you, not an option umfortunatelly,  my lip os actually on a short side and plastic surgeon said it would not do me good. The problem is not too long lip bit lack of teeth support (proper angle) :(

usedtobepretty

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »
I've heard this a few times about the drop in mid-face support.  Were you impacted in the front?

Hi , yes, impacted 5mm and downgrafted 5mm.
I (now) am told downgraft less than 7mm is always going to produce lip drop ..before I  didnt have this problem as I was camouflaged (teeth were aligned outwards ) after de - masking- and 5mm impaction . I have a narrow teeth arch as I had ortho extractions so my surgery plan was just too conservative (dr didnt take that into account) I said O thought 5mm is not enough my orthodontist as well but he insisted overimpaction is the worse thing that can happen. He admits it is esthetivally a bad result but also saying he does not see it as a reason to re-operate..

ditterbo

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:22:09 PM »
Hi , yes, impacted 5mm and downgrafted 5mm.
I (now) am told downgraft less than 7mm is always going to produce lip drop ..before I  didnt have this problem as I was camouflaged (teeth were aligned outwards ) after de - masking- and 5mm impaction . I have a narrow teeth arch as I had ortho extractions so my surgery plan was just too conservative (dr didnt take that into account) I said O thought 5mm is not enough my orthodontist as well but he insisted overimpaction is the worse thing that can happen. He admits it is esthetivally a bad result but also saying he does not see it as a reason to re-operate..

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying you had a 5mm POSTERIOR downgraft and 5mm ANTERIOR impaction? 

This was hard to read, sorry.

Side note but related, I've been told by a local type max fac that for every 3mm maxilla forward movement, you gain 1mm in tooth show. Therefore, he thinks I should get anterior impaction despite a current 'perfect' amount of tooth show, because of his proposed ~5mm advancement to the maxilla.   But when you impact the front where there was literally facial soft tissue connected to those hidden gums you're impacting, I would think your your whole mid face and lips would naturally sag down before it reattaches to the bone - like what maybe happened to the OP.   It seems like a bad gamble to try to manage soft tissue, in the case of post op excessive tooth show, by adjusting the skeleton.  Tooth show is represented in like 1-4mm, and I'm pretty sure no doc has confidence in soft tissue movement within that range as a result of boney surgery.

I mean unless you're removing excessive gum show as part of bimax, isn't it a fools game to try to manage the post op tooth show with class 2 skeletal bimax corrective surgery?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:53:44 AM by ditterbo »

CCW

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »
Side note but related, I've been told by a local type max fac that for every 3mm maxilla forward movement, you gain 1mm in tooth show. Therefore, he thinks I should get anterior impaction despite a current 'perfect' amount of tooth show, because of his proposed ~5mm advancement to the maxilla.   But when you impact the front where there was literally facial soft tissue connected to those hidden gums you're impacting, I would think your your whole mid face and lips would naturally sag down before it reattaches to the bone - like what maybe happened to the OP.   It seems like a bad gamble to try to manage soft tissue, in the case of post op excessive tooth show, by adjusting the skeleton.  Tooth show is represented in like 1-4mm, and I'm pretty sure no doc has confidence in soft tissue movement within that range as a result of boney surgery.
Bulls**t. Don't mess with the anterior maxilla if you don't have to. That's a recipe for an aesthetic disaster.

usedtobepretty

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »
This seems pretty legit. My jaw os narrow due to extraxtions so I was just not impacted (foreard mi ement) enoug. 3 mm would have made a difference. A dufference berween a great result from devastating one.

CCW

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »
This seems pretty legit. My jaw os narrow due to extraxtions so I was just not impacted (foreard mi ement) enoug. 3 mm would have made a difference. A dufference berween a great result from devastating one.
Didn't you say you show no teeth at rest?

usedtobepretty

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »
Yes. 3mm movement further would lift the lip and let me show 2-3mm which Id be fine with. Now its 0-1 mm. But thats not the only issue. Lip has no proper support when its dropping ober the teeth.