Author Topic: Under bite + crossbite  (Read 4277 times)

Ticketed Slime

Under bite + crossbite
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:22:15 AM »
Hi all, pleased to have joined this forum. Just got a few questions about surgery. I currently have a cross-bite, as well as an under-bite, and have chosen a private route to get it fixed (i.e. the braces) as the waiting list for surgery is absolutely ridiculous. Anyway i'm 21 years old, and have had the under-bite and cross-bite for as long as i can remember but, it's really taken it's shape in a protruding form these last few years, so i put off having any type of work done previously and was advised to do so, as there would have been a possibility of me still growing, because i'm already quite a tall fella! I've had my braces for exactly a year now, and i'd say I've got about another year or maybe 3/4 of a year left until my surgery (obviously no date, but this was an estimate from my private orthodontist). Generally how long would i have to wait until the surgery for an under-bite and cross-bite? As the time can vary a lot even though i was told it might be two years. Also have any of you fellow patients had any sinus troubles along with your bite? and if so, has it been corrected with surgery? And during my first evaluation of when they were scanning my jaw profile, one of the doctor's said that my nose is slightly slanted. At the time, i didn't question it, but my suspicions were aroused afterwards, when i had a look for myself, and this could be due to the cross-bite or under-bite, or even both. Just wanted to know if any of guys had this problem and if it that was also corrected when you had surgery as well?

CCW

Re: Under bite + crossbite
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »
Yeah, sinus troubles are pretty common with Class III patients due to decreased nasal cavity and sinus cavity space, which causes improper airflow and drainage. It should improve with maxillary advancement since the space increases.

Ticketed Slime

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:35:16 AM »
Oh brilliant! i honestly wake up every morning with a stuffy nose, it just brings on a whole load of other problems, black circles under my eyes to name a few. Hopefully this will be sorted out with the surgery then when they sort out the alignment and what not. Any idea on how long i still have to go untill my surgery? like i said it's been a year now, and they've given me an estimate, but i know it will probably be longer than that.

Ben30

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 03:42:47 AM »
Op you sound pretty fresh, no offense intended. Make sure you research as much as possible before your surgery, this is a big deal and you get one shoot. I invested years of saving then 2 years in braces for a forward movement of only 2mm on my maxilla. It wasn't enough to do much. I needed more like 8mm of advancement.
Get busy researching!

Ticketed Slime

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:58 AM »
None taken mate. I have infact done a lot of research, and it was a calculated one at that. Obviously went with the private route, and the ortho who's in charge of my braces seemed to put a lot of queries and second thoughts at ease. He seems to do very well at his job from what I've gathered and my encounters with him and also made a thorough effort with the doctor who's carrying out my surgery with the preliminary scanning of the jaw. Everything seems to be in order to be honest with you, but please do let me know of any signs that might jeopardize it. which hospital was your surgery carried out? And where did things go wrong for you, if you don't mind me asking?

CCW

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:24:30 AM »
Oh brilliant! i honestly wake up every morning with a stuffy nose, it just brings on a whole load of other problems, black circles under my eyes to name a few. Hopefully this will be sorted out with the surgery then when they sort out the alignment and what not. Any idea on how long i still have to go untill my surgery? like i said it's been a year now, and they've given me an estimate, but i know it will probably be longer than that.
Presurgical orthodontic treatment usually takes two years.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:58:29 AM »
Presurgical orthodontic treatment usually takes two years.
IMO that's max time.