Author Topic: Can I get braces to align and my teeth, and years latter get jaw surgery?  (Read 2162 times)

skulpt

I would like to correct my crooked teeth, it's nothing serious, just your average crooked teeth problem:

So yeah, the idea is, even if I can't afford jaw surgery for the next 5 years, I would like to at least get my teeth aligned and whitened until I can finally get jaw movement.

My question is: Will I have to go under braces again after aligning the teeth because the teeth need to be aligned on a specific way in combination with the surgery, or aligning the teeth is always the same and i will not need to get my teeth moved ever again and go straight to jaw surgery?

Hope my question makes sense.

Having said that: What would be the best method? Braces, invisalign, or...??

PS: Anyone knows a place I can trust to get this done in spain?

Framboise

Re: Can I get braces to align and my teeth, and years latter get jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »
Hi Skulpt,

you will need to have braces again, unfortunately..

CCW

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:36:23 AM »
Surgical orthodontics is completely different from regular orthodontics, so in most cases you'll still need braces even if your teeth are straight. However, there are surgeons who can surgery first if the teeth are straight and there no major dental compensations present. In Spain, Alfaro does this.

http://www.institutomaxilofacial.com/en/

Sanj87

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 07:03:08 AM »
Did you have a posterior open bite?

skulpt

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
Did you have a posterior open bite?

Im not sure, when I google medical terms i see gruesome s**t, my case might be very mild. From my intuition, I think the surgeries I need are:

Rotating the maxilla countercock wise, and im not sure advancing it
Lower jaw must then be adjusted to match new rotation, however, im not sure if if I had the space I need freed up by CCW rotation of maxilla, my upper front teeth wouldn't get in the way and I would be able to have a good bite, then add in a genio to increase jawline definition

I need to get some pics taken and upload them in here, however im not sure if I can trust people or should I send them to qualified forum posters that can be trusted and know about aesthetics??

In any case, even if I needed to get braces again down the lane... can I just fix my sightle crocked teeth in the meanwhile to improve aesthetics, or could this be a problem down the lane? im 29 so any development is already done.

To illustrate, this is how it looks like.

I would really like to get this aligned already, I haven't done it yet because im lazy but also because im worried that if I get jaw surgery in a couple of years it will be a problem. I just hate having crooked teeth. I can't properly wash it because one is overlapping the other. I have tartar forming there most likely because I can't properly clean. I need to align it, get it nicely cleaned, and do teeth withening too.

So what braces would you recommend, invisalign, classic braces? please help, I must improve.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:57:14 PM »
getting braces to align the overlapping lower incisors won't affect getting surgery later on.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.