Author Topic: 3d printed prosthetic tmj replacement  (Read 2972 times)

Fowler

3d printed prosthetic tmj replacement
« on: March 19, 2018, 05:51:43 AM »
Hello

Very unlikely but has anyone ever had a 3d printed prosthetic tmj replacement?  I had a bony spur in my tmj which was removed. This grew back and was removed again however it seems this time a condoylectomy was performed as I have been getting massive pain on the right tmj where it is taking the strain because of the lack of support on the left.

I only knew the NHS removed the condoyle after going privately looking to have bimax done.  This now can't be done due to a lack of support on the left side.

I now have to wait an age to see if the NHS will sort out this mess.  The guy I saw privately said I need a 3d printed prosthetic replacement, if the NHS will sort this out is another matter. I saw a chap in Australia had this done. Also, if it is done, I am unsure if I can have the bimax at a later date. I know it can be done in tandem but it is a huge operation lasting around 9 hours.

GJ

• Administrator
Re: 3d printed prosthetic tmj replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 01:24:11 PM »
I'm not sure, but 3D printing is going to solve a lot of problems. I've heard they're even beginning to 3D print homes.
Not sure the technology is quite there yet, but it seems close. You'd be a guinea pig if you decide to do it.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Fowler

Re: 3d printed prosthetic tmj replacement
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 02:37:36 PM »
I need something done as I'm missing part of the jaw, ie the condoyle and so the strain has given me the start of arthritis on the right hand side.

Guy in Oz had it done 2 years ago, be interesting to see if the NHS kick up a fuss or do it.

Really wanted bimax done. This can be done at the same time but the op would be ridiculously long.