Author Topic: Before and After Underbite  (Read 6221 times)

chynee

Before and After Underbite
« on: April 12, 2017, 01:49:26 PM »
I know when I was going through the process of this, it brought me great comfort whenever I saw someone’s before and afters! I had BSSO and LeFort 1. 5 plates and 20-someting screws later, here I am! I am officially 10 months post-op. Still have some numbness in my chin and parts of my gums, but my nerve was not severed, so they are hopeful that I’ll feel fully again. It gets a little better ever month!

Darker red-hair before is about 6 weeks before my surgery in June 2016 and the one in the hospital is right before they wheeled me back.

Black dress was 6.5 months post-op. Blue dress outside was 8 months post-op.

[attachment deleted by admin]

chynee

Re: Before and After Underbite
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »
Week 0-6

chynee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »
Week 7-12

chynee

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
side profile and nose changes (this was only a few months post-op. surgeon decided once I was under to perform septoplasty on my deviated septum).

chynee

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
Day before surgery and 6 months post-op.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 03:16:48 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  The surgeon made the right call on double jaw surgery.  (Single jaw surgeries are almost always suboptimal).

ditterbo

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
I saw one of your earlier posts, you said you didn't think numbness would matter much to you but also b/c you just haven't really experienced it.  What are your thoughts on it now that you're on the other side with some residual?

Ticketed Slime

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
Hey Chynee, your results look staggering! Just a question about the deviated septum you had. Were the surgeons happy to correct your deviated septum? As in did you have to pay extra? etc.? I'm only asking, because I also have a deviated septum and my ortho and surgeon commented on this in the preliminary stages of my treatment when they were taking my photos of my jaw profile etc. and I also would like to get that sorted too, but I always thought you'd have to get a separate surgery to fix that issue. However, almost every before and after pictures of under bites that I've stumbled across on the internet have nose changes (for the better) so I was just wondering if the surgery itself fixes the issue or it has to be done separately?

chynee

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 05:25:12 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  The surgeon made the right call on double jaw surgery.  (Single jaw surgeries are almost always suboptimal).
you have a good memory! yeah, in the last month before surgery while doing the manipulations, he told me that double was definitely the only option for me after all.

chynee

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 05:37:58 AM »
I saw one of your earlier posts, you said you didn't think numbness would matter much to you but also b/c you just haven't really experienced it.  What are your thoughts on it now that you're on the other side with some residual?
Totally valid question! I think if I was completely numb, it would be annoying. Thankfully, my residual chin numbness isn’t totally numb. I can still feel things, just less than before surgery. If something touches my chin with very little pressure, I may not notice (like a drop of food). The weirdest part is when I get pressure applied to my bottom lip, some nerves fire off in my chin, so I almost get a tickling sensation. That is the feeling I don’t care for because I feel like I should itch it, but it’s not itchy? The surgeon said the nerves doing that is actually a good sign, and it’s them “waking up.” The rest of my initial numbness (upper lip area, nose, cheeks) all has come back which is great.

The smallest front part of the roof of my mouth is still numb right behind my two front teeth. This is so silly, but I like it because it cuts down on brain freezes when eating frozen foods. lol My top front section of gums is still numb, right below where 2 of my plates are. My gums on my bottom have complete feeling as of about 2 months ago, but back in November, they were still numb. I actually used that to my advantage and got a couple cavities filled without having to get a shot because I couldn’t feel the drill! It’s encouraging to know feeling is still returning this late in the game.

TL;DR Bottom line - if I could have tried out my “numbness” in advance, I would 110% still get the surgery. Even if my numbness stays where it is now, it’s enough for my chewing and mouth control to function at a normal level, and I love being able to chew and breathe.

chynee

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 07:05:30 AM »
Hey Chynee, your results look staggering! Just a question about the deviated septum you had. Were the surgeons happy to correct your deviated septum? As in did you have to pay extra? etc.? I'm only asking, because I also have a deviated septum and my ortho and surgeon commented on this in the preliminary stages of my treatment when they were taking my photos of my jaw profile etc. and I also would like to get that sorted too, but I always thought you'd have to get a separate surgery to fix that issue. However, almost every before and after pictures of under bites that I've stumbled across on the internet have nose changes (for the better) so I was just wondering if the surgery itself fixes the issue or it has to be done separately?

Thanks, So I knew I had the deviated septum from an injury I sustained as a baby, but I always thought that would be a separate surgery as well. To be honest, I never even brought this sup to my surgeon I only asked how much by nose would change, and he said slightly at the base. My maxilla was moved forward 4mm, and my jaw was moved back 3mm.

When I awoke from surgery, my surgeon told me that once he had pulled back my upper lip, he realized how deviated my septum was. Before putting me back together, he decided to correct my deviated septum. He told me that I would notice a few more changes to my nose than we discussed, but that they would be aesthetically and functionally positive. I asked him if that was cosmetic or I would pay extra, etc. (my insurance covered my surgery 100%), and he said he wasn’t going to bill the insurance for me since he decided to do it on the spot. He stated that it seemed silly to make me go though another surgery for something he could easily take care of while he was already in there and to consider it a BOGO surgery (buy one, get one). lol :D

All in all, I’m pleased he did it because my nose is definitely straighter (which I don’t think the jaw surgery alone would have done), and I breathe so much better through my nose now (both from surgery and the septoplasty). Recovering was weird because I had nose stuff to tend to as well, and I wasn’t allowed to blow my nose for what seemed like forever....it was either 8 or 12 weeks post op that I was allowed to blow my nose again.

adeiber

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 10:41:59 AM »
Thank you so much for posting your whole detailed journey!  My daughter needs surgery and I'm so nervous about it - your posts, and how great you look, make me feel much better.