Author Topic: Bone graft recovery  (Read 1303 times)

Freeways

Bone graft recovery
« on: May 05, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
Hi guys. I'm three days out of chin surgery with hip graft, and the iliac crest recovery has been surprisingly tough. My mobility is very restricted and any little movement is painful, but I am slowly getting better.

Do any of you have any experience with iliac crest graft recovery? When were you able to walk normally, and did the hip recover completely? Any difficulties with running or playing sports?

I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Lefortitude

Re: Bone graft recovery
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:25:38 PM »
Where did you have the surgery done? 

From my understanding, there's a number of ways to approach the bone harvesting from the hip.  The old techniques had a rather high morbidity rate, lots of patients with lifelong pain, causing them to not be able to walk or run properly, sleep on one side, and generally just a big problem for many years.  A lot of them are outdated now, and there is a new technique with very very low morbidity rate. 

However, only top surgeons in developed countries perform the harvesting with the new methods.  MOST surgeons are stuck in their old ways, and not ready to embrace the change in their practice. 

If you had the surgery preformed by a world class surgeon he likely used the new technique, which means you should be 100% in a few weeks.  Otherwise its hard to say.

Freeways

Re: Bone graft recovery
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
Hey guys, I'm now 6 months post-op. My initial hip pain/discomfort went away after 4 weeks, but I'm now having problems again. For the past 6-7 weeks I've been hiking a lot (maybe too soon - my body is still recovering?), which caused the hip pain to return in the past week. If I were to describe the pain/discomfort, it's as if I had a small knock playing sports: You get a bruise and can walk, but with some discomfort.

I've been careful the past week, walked very little (only for mandatory things), and today I don't feel anything again, thankfully. However, I'm a bit concerned about this problem. Has anyone here had similar issues related to the iliac crest graft surgery? Is it likely that I could have a permanent problem and need to be very careful with hiking/sports/etc?