Author Topic: New with Asymmetric Face  (Read 10046 times)

1991ng

New with Asymmetric Face
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm 21 years old and currently in college. I am planning to have this surgery once I graduate or earlier if possible. I do not have any severe under-bite or overbite. But I do have a shift of my chin and lips to one side of my face. In addition, I did have my jaw lock a few times when I was much younger (around the age of 11-12). Today instead of having jaw lock I can hear a crackling noise on my right side whenever I open my mouth wide.

So here are a few pics and would love to hear your opinions/feedback.

Thank You

(I will add more pictures in my next post)

[attachment deleted by admin]

1991ng

Re: New with Asymmetric Face
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »
Here are some more pics...

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:10:56 AM »
there certainly is an asymmetry, but i don't know if it's "enough" to get a bimax!

it's a long way and it's a complicated surgery!

1991ng

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
Thanks for your reply stupidjaws!

Since you agree that there is asymmetry, are recommending that I only get jaw surgery on my lower jaw? Or are you suggesting that I dont get jaw surgery at all?

Thanks

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
if the maxilla is rotated and the mandible is laterodeviated, your only chance is bimax!

i was telling you to not consider surgery at all!

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »
God, you're hot  :o

1991ng

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »
Haha thanks for your reply Modigliani  :)

@Modigliani, just wondering if you think I should get jaw surgery to fix my asymmetry?

Sorry to bug you stupidjaws, but I have two questions.

1) Is the reason why you believe I should not get jaw surgery is because there just isn't "enough" asymmetry; and that the cost/risk of surgery isn't worth it? How much of a difference would I see if I did get a surgery done? I feel like my lower half of my jaw is at least a 4-6 mm's off, not to mention the cant that I have.

I've seen cases where people have had less asymmetry and still gotten jaw surgery. And I understand at the end of the day it is my choice/life, but I seriously believe my face would look a lot more balanced if I did get the surgery done.

2) I guess this is the more pressing question, if I were to consult a surgeon, would they be willing to operate on me for mere aesthetics?

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »
Haha thanks for your reply Modigliani  :)

@Modigliani, just wondering if you think I should get jaw surgery to fix my asymmetry?

Sorry to bug you stupidjaws, but I have two questions.

1) Is the reason why you believe I should not get jaw surgery is because there just isn't "enough" asymmetry; and that the cost/risk of surgery isn't worth it? How much of a difference would I see if I did get a surgery done? I feel like my lower half of my jaw is at least a 4-6 mm's off, not to mention the cant that I have.

I've seen cases where people have had less asymmetry and still gotten jaw surgery. And I understand at the end of the day it is my choice/life, but I seriously believe my face would look a lot more balanced if I did get the surgery done.

2) I guess this is the more pressing question, if I were to consult a surgeon, would they be willing to operate on me for mere aesthetics?

1) yes, you may benefit from surgery. But not very much as your starting point is not very off, and risks are not indifferent!
Furthermore, imagine the orthodontic treatment, the costs, the pain....all factors you must consider

2) yes.

3) you don't bug me absolutely, i'm glad i can help

CK

• Private
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
i definitely think your chin could be centered if that is what ur looking for. but left/right over/underdevelopment cannot be treated in a meaningful way.

surgery may not correct the noise, in fact it might make it worse.

1991ng

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply CK.

@CK...If I went to a surgeon and WANTED to get both jaws done...would he/she operate on me?

I wish there was some type of 3d imaging program where I could see the results IF I were to get surgery...guess I just have to consult a surgeon

CK

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
Thanks for your reply CK.

@CK...If I went to a surgeon and WANTED to get both jaws done...would he/she operate on me?

I wish there was some type of 3d imaging program where I could see the results IF I were to get surgery...guess I just have to consult a surgeon

yea, definitely. people with no problems get jaw surgery. of course, it depends where you live. if you live in europe/aus then it would probably be covered under uhc, but you probably would have to wait a bit. and they would exhaust non-surgical treatments first.

USA, insurance may cover it. youd have to consult first. if not, the cost can be prohibitive, especially if you decide to see a well-known surgeon.

3d imaging blows, profile imaging is always an exaggeration, often times it looks worse than the real result.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »
I had nearly an identical problem before my surgery.  My asymmetry has largely been corrected. 

1991ng

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
Thanks for your replies marisama and cmonster...greatly appreciated.

I think for right now, all I can do is research and finish school and hopefully get a high enough salary where I can undergo this surgery.

But thanks guys.

Anymore input/opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

viin0

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 11:54:58 PM »
Hey,
I had a very similar problem to yours, only mine was so much worse! I got lower jaw surgery 4 days ago so my face is still as big as a hot air balloon so it's still too early to judge the final results.
My jaw bone grew longer on my left side when I was young which caused some serious asymmetry in my face. I'll show you a before photo in a moment.
Not sure where you are from but I got all my orthodontic and surgery treatment for free as it was covered by medicare and the healthcare system in Australia. It was an extremely long wait though but it's finally all done and so worth it! :D
At one point they were planning to do top jaw as well as bottom jaw but they decided my top jaw's alignment wasn't so bad. They were also going to perform genioplasty surgery to align my chin but just like the top jaw surgery they decided the alignment wasn't so bad either.
I'm 21 also, I began treatment through a private ortho. when i was 11 but then changed to the public ortho. when I was 15-16.

1991ng

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
Hey viin0! Thanks for your reply!

Yes definitely your asymmetry is more than mine.

And I'm in the US. So I'm pretty sure that insurance will not cover me, so I'm going to have to pay out of pocket :/

But I greatly appreciate the fact that your first post was on my thread :) (thanks!)