Author Topic: What's the longterm success rate of a jaw surgery?  (Read 1174 times)

RedLips

What's the longterm success rate of a jaw surgery?
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:51:08 PM »
The one I'm potentially getting (maxillary impaction LeFort) will require me to have my upper jaw held together with metal clips that will sit behind my lip. What is the longterm success of this? Will I need revision surgery in the future? Will the metal fail?

baldguy83

Re: What's the longterm success rate of a jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »
That's some very heavy surgery you are suggesting (LeFort), typically only reserved for truly deformed people. Also has a high complication rate. Be careful.

whatdo

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »
You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Lefort I is just maxillary movement and is rather common for fixing occlusions....

I think lf3 is the one (typically) reserved for true deformity or trauma.

I've been trying to find good papers that show the long term success and % of relapse but I haven't searched around enough, and wouldn't your surgeon be able to provide some ballpark estimate as to the number of people he/she has worked on and seen relapse? Or would it not be reliable?

Milli_Meters

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »
That's some very heavy surgery you are suggesting (LeFort), typically only reserved for truly deformed people. Also has a high complication rate. Be careful.

Wut? Lefort 1 is part of the standard bimax. Yeah lf1 is no picnic but u seem to be talkin about lf3.