Author Topic: Soft Tissue Changes following just lower Jaw surgery ?  (Read 1158 times)

whyamihere

Soft Tissue Changes following just lower Jaw surgery ?
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
Hi all,

Im currently pursuing the idea of getting my facial asymmetry corrected. Ive had one meeting with a surgeon who is supposed to be the better option of the very few well known surgeons here in the UK. Ive been told i can fix my jaw asymmetry with just a 'sagittal split osteomoty' which will rotate my jaw over towards the right  :o . In doing so i will also be correcting my slight cross bite i have. My dental midline is about a tooth width out but my 3/4 appearances is where you can really notice a difference.

Ive read how jaw surgery can dramatically effect the appearance of soft tissue and wanted to clarify how truthful this is ? I can understand how upper jaw surgery can result in a greater change, but can someone chime in on any positive / negative  changes (if any) i would see as a result of getting a SSO to correct my jaw asymmetry ?

Any other red flags to this surgery would be much welcomed as well as id like to collect a series of questions before my next meeting with the surgeon.

Thanks

Tiny

• Private
Re: Soft Tissue Changes following just lower Jaw surgery ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »
It depends what you're doing with the lower jaw and the overall bite.

For example, when there is an overbite and a deep bite, all the soft tissue is pushed together, the lips are exerted etc. In this case you would expect quite a lot of change in the soft issue

If you're just correcting and asymmetry there won't be as much change

Rico

Re: Soft Tissue Changes following just lower Jaw surgery ?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »
look at this what may happen when you move any bone too much

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=6746.msg56774#msg56774