Author Topic: DJS + Genio results Australia  (Read 6798 times)

petebite

DJS + Genio results Australia
« on: May 18, 2017, 10:46:20 PM »
Hi all,

I have been on this forum for a few years and finally had surgery last October here in Sydney. I did quite a lot of research and reading through this forum as well as textbooks and journals and felt quite prepared. I will say straight up - if you don't need this surgery (or any surgery), don't get it. There are so many points of failure, so many anxieties and uncertainties that in most cases I honestly do not think it is worth the cost or effort. I say this as someone who I think had a pretty good result. If I experienced any real complications I would be devastated.

My procedure was fairly straightforward, ~5mm lefort one and corresponding bsso setback to fix asymmetry as well as a genio to address chin asymmetry. I usually have a beard and only shaved for the surgery (see before photo), the after photo is seven months post-op, just days after debanding. I think my surgeon and ortho addressed the asymmetry extremely well, honestly much better than I could have really expected. I would still advise anyone to grow a beard if they can and just cope with it :)

I have a little numbness in my lower left lip and a few other areas feel slightly different but it's not a huge worry. It was surprising how much my braces were making the altered sensation worse - teeth are much smoother and don't disturb it as much.

The surgeon who operated on me is not currently working, and won't be for at least 12-18 months I believe, so I will leave their name off this forum. If you want details you can PM me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

petebite

Re: DJS + Genio results Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:06:33 PM »
Interested to know what you were worried about?

Permanent numbness, worse aesthetic result, infections, general anaesthetic, tooth decay, going broke, possibility of revision etc. I am fairly risk-averse in general so others might be more chill with it.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:53:34 AM »
Permanent numbness, worse aesthetic result, infections, general anaesthetic, tooth decay, going broke, possibility of revision etc. I am fairly risk-averse in general so others might be more chill with it.

Well congrats u look great. How old are you if u do not mind answering?

petebite

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 04:16:56 AM »
Well congrats u look great. How old are you if u do not mind answering?

Cheers! I just turned 30 a week ago

Milli_Meters

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 05:53:30 AM »
Cheers! I just turned 30 a week ago

Cheers! A quick follow up - do you recall during what stage(like which months) most sensation started returning ?

Thanks.

petebite

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:18 PM »
Cheers! A quick follow up - do you recall during what stage(like which months) most sensation started returning ?

Thanks.

I can't really recall, maybe 2-3? I think what happens is that you get used to the reduced sensation rather than it getting better. After a year people are probably just adjusted to what sensation they have left.

CCW

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 06:42:53 AM »
The eye area was the biggest improvement. Your face looks fuller and healthier now. Good result.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 07:16:19 AM »
I can't really recall, maybe 2-3? I think what happens is that you get used to the reduced sensation rather than it getting better. After a year people are probably just adjusted to what sensation they have left.

Thanks again. Yeah you are partially right but tbh if you had some glaring numb spot you would notice.  Good to see a happy ending . Enjoy your new smile/occlusion.

Jilkster

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
The eye area was the biggest improvement. Your face looks fuller and healthier now. Good result.

Sorry for being off topic, did you get my pms? The personal message system seems to be off.

CCW

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 04:01:06 AM »
Sorry for being off topic, did you get my pms? The personal message system seems to be off.
You don't have a recessed maxilla and you don't need any operations and should't get anything done.

petebite

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »

Thanks, I didn't really notice the eye area. I think my face does look fuller and healthier though.

margerinemango

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 10:40:52 PM »
Ah! Great result! Thanks for sharing!

slysurfz

• Private
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »
awesome! the results are great. Its just amazing how relaxed the face looks once the jaws and teeth are in right position.