Author Topic: In Korea weighing up 2 jaw surgery / Advice much needed / Caucasian Patient /  (Read 5994 times)

krizzobizzle

Hi.

My name is Chris. I'm 29 and I would really appreciate anyones help on my issue as I'm so confused, and a bit lonely over here.

Since I was 18 I have a had pretty deep bite and large overjet. I wore braces for one year in prep for BSSO surgery with the NHS.

So traditionally I have a short lower third but my chin is surprisingly in an ok position, but with a deep labiomental fold of course.

Very similar to most of these cases in face:

http://pocketdentistry.com/23-short-face-growth-patterns-maxillomandibular-deficiency/

I backed out of the NHS surgery because I wasn't happy with my treatment plan. When i postured my lower jaw forward it made my chin more pronounced and wider, but sliding genio was not part of the surgical plan, or any other detailed adjustments. It all felt too standard to be honest and I felt I could look worse because there was a level of control I did not have.

So fast forward two years and I am here in South Korea doing consults for 2 jaw surgery, for which they are very well know over here. The only issue is I am not wearing braces anymore :(

I consulted with a good surgeon at The Face Dental in Korea, in Dr Lee, who has come up with a treatment plan after a couple of days he got back to me with some models. He suggested:

Two Jaw Surgery

Le fort 1: with midpalatal split ( to widen my upper palate ) No adjustments in vertical or horizontal positioning,..only widening

Lower : mandibular BSSRO with genioplasty and some chin narrowing. He also wants to lower my bottom 5 teeth to improve deep bite and lower teeth show.

Heres some images with my models. Please note the YELLOW is post treatment, and the WHITE is how my teeth are now. I'll send some pics of me in a day or so.

http://imgur.com/a/V9TQA

Of course I would need to wear braces after for about 1.5 years back home, and I'll have a huge gap in my teeth

The problem is I am terrified of the recovery and the possibility of sagging and numbness from the amount of surgery involved. I am also alone here.

It would be great to hear anyones opinion on this who is knowledgable to give me some hope or reassurance, or the opposite :)

This is a big commitment for me so I really appreciate anyones help.

Chris:)

slysurfz

• Private
I have pretty similar case as yours. currently in braces, doing braces first. I am about to consult with Dr. Posnick who  wrote the article you posted. I will let you know what I find out

krizzobizzle

Would really appreciate anyones advice.

Images of teeth, x-rays, and models all in this album :)

http://imgur.com/a/V9TQA

Here is the proposed treatment plan.

le fort 1 with midpalatal split to widen upper jaw.

Advancement of upper jaw by 2-3mm

BSSO advancement and rotation to correct lower yaw + subapical osteotomy to correct deep bite

genioplasty to bring chin back.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:27:35 AM by krizzobizzle »

Ben30

How come your missing your lower 2nd bicuspid teeth?

krizzobizzle

I had to get that removed for treatment :(((

Ben30

Seems crazy to me but then i don't know enough to comment.

Wheatsnax

Can you ask them the about the aesthetic implication of the lower supapical osteonomy? I've also been recommended this due to my deep bite from premolar extractions.

It is to remove residual jaw space due to the removed teeth, seems like it would make the lower arch and mandible prominence even smaller?

Sanj87

Do ou have xray analysis?