Author Topic: BSSO profile before and after  (Read 7768 times)

Soreface88

BSSO profile before and after
« on: May 21, 2017, 04:14:50 AM »
Hello, here is a before and after of my profile 2 weeks following BSSO for mandibular advancement.  Obviously I'm still very swollen but would be interested to hear people's thoughts so far.

I obviously still have a very deep labiomental fold which I somehow thought would be gone after surgery (original plan when my braces went on back in 2013 had been bimax + genio but this was revised to BSSO only by the time I was having the surgery).  Is this something I should've wanted corrected? Does it matter? I obviously didn't go into this as well informed as I should've been - if only I'd discovered this forum sooner and not just as a result of my many sleepless postop nights!

I also somehow expected to have more jaw definition, I guess I'd better learn how to contour after all!

I should probably say that my treatment was carried out primarily for functional reasons but of course I was always concerned about what the aesthetic result would be (who isn't?)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:24:33 AM by Soreface88 »

ditterbo

Re: BSSO profile before and after
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:28:58 AM »
The labiomental fold did improve, but you probably have a strong chin bone. 

Milli_Meters

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »
You look good.It will improve as swelling goes down.

You were pretty before too.

How many mms were you advanced?

Soreface88

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »
Aw shucks :)

My discharge letter said I was advanced 6mm, but my overjet was at least 8mm (it was originally 11mm but was measured at 8mm after 3.5 years in braces) and my lower teeth now sit directly below if not 1 or 2mm in front of my top teeth so I'm not sure

Milli_Meters

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 05:39:12 AM »
Aw shucks :)

My discharge letter said I was advanced 6mm, but my overjet was at least 8mm (it was originally 11mm but was measured at 8mm after 3.5 years in braces) and my lower teeth now sit directly below if not 1 or 2mm in front of my top teeth so I'm not sure

I am sorry I am not super familiar with the british system so had just skimmed over NHS.  I now understand. It is a bit different when dealing with private sector surgeons and they are more apt to have follow ups to address aesthetic concerns. But even then they are 75% of the time in denial mode.Still if your bite seems unsettled I am sure you can go back to see your surgeon but the way you describe it probably your orthodontist can fix this.

Regarding the jaw line issue , even though you look like you are healing great there is swelling which is still to go down. 3 - 5 months from now things ought to be more settled.  You could consider a submental lipo to address the area if you want to.

Probably you should have been advanced slightly more but maybe because the surgeon elected to not move the upper jaw he felt constrained. But seriously you look beautiful and even before you were so , pixie like. Imho very forward jaw may be detrimental to that kind of feminine beauty.

Soreface88

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 04:49:25 AM »
8 weeks post op I thought I'd share another wee update - not quite fully in profile but it does show that the swelling has gone down a lot.  Not quite ready for a juicy steak but managing fish and pasta which is terribly exciting! Pain wise things have actually gotten a little worse in the last couple of weeks though I suspect that's party due to starting to chew a bit and also being back at work for about three weeks now where I've had to shout a bit haha!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Milli_Meters

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
Looking good.

Your jawline looks sharper.

ditterbo

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 08:34:28 PM »
Wow I missed this update, really impressive looking result I think, OP?