Author Topic: Is it my jaw or chin?  (Read 9939 times)

Austinou88

Is it my jaw or chin?
« on: May 29, 2017, 07:34:57 PM »
Hi,

I'm a 21 year old guy and my chin is real short, and weak. I'm also thinking my jaw might be recessed. 

What things would improve my appearance?

http://imgur.com/a/YzLWX
https://imgur.com/a/l2eQo

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:37:03 PM by Austinou88 »

Milli_Meters

Re: Is it my jaw or chin?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »
imho you have a case for bimax.

CCW

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 02:15:22 AM »
imho you have a case for bimax.
Yeah. If you got CCW bimax, you probably wouldn't even need a genio. An isolated genio would make your chin look too pointy and you'd still look recessed.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 02:33:40 AM »
Jaw.

Austinou88

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:10 AM »
So go visit a Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:37:44 PM by Austinou88 »

kjohnt

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 01:28:43 AM »
It's your jaw, see a surgeon.  You need bimax advancement, probable ccw rotation, likely no genioplasty is necessary.

Lefortitude

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 07:17:17 AM »
Ya bimax ccw is crutial in your case

MyTimeIsNow

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 07:46:04 AM »
I'll not sugar coat anything and I'll be very frank. You're miles away from being good looking and if you want to improve your looks, you need multiple surgeries/procedures.

Main issues:
* Recessed jaws
* Subpar mouth area.
* Bad eye area. Nice eye colour, but significant upper eyelid exposure. Eye position itself looks off to me.
* Ugly nose.
* Bad colouring and eyebrows that appear to be non-existent.
* Hairline seems high. You might be balding.

To improve:
* Jaw surgery
* Eye area surgeries
* Rhinoplasty
* Tanning
* Darkening your hair, dyeing eyebrows
* Anti hair loss medications if you are balding (RU, dut/fin, minoxidil, nizoral)
* Hair transplant for hairline - optional - you're not that bad.

Irregardless of what people might say to you in real life or here, in terms of looks you've got dealt pretty bad hand and you have multiple bad features. I do think that you can improve significantly, but it's going to be a costly and lengthy journey.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:36:48 AM by MyTimeIsNow »

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »
I honestly hate when people say you need 15 operations to just achieve excellent balance and MMC perfection.
This is BS. The ONLY reason someone needs to undergo surgery on both jaws is to correct a deficiency and not for looks alone.
The least operation possible is the solution here. When you mess with nature, you become "plastic", and when you age, and bones settle overtime and shift, collagen in the skin breaks down, it can make you look downright ugly. I think we all agree on this, thank you.
I think a nose contouring (rhino) and ONLY genio. Do only bimax if you have underdeveloped upper and lower jaw.

To the poster above, he's not balding.

ditterbo

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
I honestly hate when people say you need 15 operations to just achieve excellent balance and MMC perfection.
This is BS. The ONLY reason someone needs to undergo surgery on both jaws is to correct a deficiency and not for looks alone.
The least operation possible is the solution here. When you mess with nature, you become "plastic", and when you age, and bones settle overtime and shift, collagen in the skin breaks down, it can make you look downright ugly. I think we all agree on this, thank you.
I think a nose contouring (rhino) and ONLY genio. Do only bimax if you have underdeveloped upper and lower jaw.

To the poster above, he's not balding.

I see balding by the corner of his temples in the side profile, but who knows that's just an observation for OP to figure out. Easy fix and optional in the grand scheme of things.
Look at his forward head posture.  Medical "deficiencies" (if that's what you meant by deficiency) aside, he's probably got an orthognathic skeletal imbalance that's been treated with braces years ago. He's got a really strong chin bone masking a retrognathic jaw. But I bet he's got nothing medically aside from possibly mild OSA, but stands to benefit, albeit purely aesthetically, from an aesthetically minded bimax surgery. How much I have no clue, bimax doesn't seem to fix much in the grand scheme of things unless you've got a much more obvious jaw deformity.   

His eyes are fine, since I presume his lids are lowered a bit from looking slightly down to the camera. Don't need a tan, don't need to darken your hair.  Your aesthetic problems are your nose and jaw. It's OP's call whether he wants full aesthetic correction with bimax or a possible compromise with an SG. That's the grey zone no one knows which is 'worth it' over the other unless you're literally deformed and/or have medical issues with your jaws.

Curious how that all sounds to you, ryan?

On 2nd thought, see a salon and ask if you should darken your eyebrows a little. Might be a terrible idea, I dono.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:05:55 PM by ditterbo »

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
Ditter
What is your definition of "normal" and how does this relate to OP?
It would only be fair to make an evaluation based on records submitted to the forums, as in the cephs and xrays from his youth to his current age. I would like to see any conditions that developed as a child into adulthood. Without them, we are just speculating.

ditterbo

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
Ditter
What is your definition of "normal" and how does this relate to OP?
It would only be fair to make an evaluation based on records submitted to the forums, as in the cephs and xrays from his youth to his current age. I would like to see any conditions that developed as a child into adulthood. Without them, we are just speculating.

Normal is skeletal balance and harmonious facial features, in a nutshell.  Skeletal balance isn't an art but straight measurements when it comes to the upper and lower jaw. The aesthetic abnormality 'tells' here are the bulbosity of the nose tip, taking attention away from his eyes. Uneven lips (lower lip behind upper), yet a sharp labiomental fold (strong chin - I think).  So the genio may actually make that fold even worse and give him the look of a 'deep bite' with an unnaturally protruding chin. I could be totally wrong on all this, I'm not a doc or even well read on this stuff.

We're in the aesthetic subforum, so while many people with his looks may not even think of surgery, this guy apparently is and is looking for info. I agree, in principle, avoid surgery as much as possible.  That's OP's choice as he collects info and ruminates.

He hasn't shared cephs so there's no information to offer him here in that area.  Not sure how childhood conditions vs now matter.

EDIT - bottom line, is it your jaw or chin? It's your jaw. Don't augment your chin as a standalone procedure.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:40:16 PM by ditterbo »

David_D

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 09:51:34 AM »
I think that a good first step might be for you to identify what it is that you might not like.  If the answer is "nothing," then I don't see that there's a problem for you to solve.  If you identify something or some things, then you'll know if this is something that might be addressed by a maxillofacial surgeon, a plastic surgeon, or both.  If you identify the need for soft tissue procedures, I recommend getting a few consultations with good plastic surgeons.  If you identify the need for soft jaw/bone procedures, I recommend getting a few consultations with good maxillofacial surgeons.  After you determine which, if either, applies, it might be good to ask for opinions from people about how is a good surgeon to consult with as a second step.

Austinou88

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 12:43:04 AM »
I've noticed everyone mentions "Bimax CCW".
Is that basically having a full-scale jaw surgery, both jaws and everything?

Also are braces optional?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:49:30 PM by Austinou88 »

Austinou88

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 12:51:23 AM »
I'll not sugar coat anything and I'll be very frank. You're miles away from being good looking and if you want to improve your looks, you need multiple surgeries/procedures.

Was a bit hard for me to read that, but I appreciate your honesty.
As for balding, have never lost any hair. Just have a high hairline I guess?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:38:01 PM by Austinou88 »