Author Topic: Still feel chin recessed (weak) 3 weeks post-op, considering genioplasty  (Read 6876 times)

GJ

• Administrator
Dr. Relle is solid.
Waiting until you're recovered and not going for more than 6mm both sound like smart ideas.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

overbiteme

Recovery from SG (especially one that is a small movement) is a breeze. No pain, minimal swelling, and a few days downtime for me then back to pretty much normal. 6mm is quite small, though. I'd enquire about a larger movement.

May I know how much movement did you make for your chin? It's hard to get the sense that how many mm would affect the look in a significant way.

overbiteme

I had a 5mm genio. It was so small that nobody knew I had it done. Not even family or best friend who seen me a week after. I didn't even have much recession to begin with either. 5-6mm is a very small movement if someone has quite a recessive chin. I ended up getting a chin wing afterwards which finally created a more balanced profile.

In my case, I think less than 6mm would be negilible too. Did you get a chin wing impant or oeteotomy?

ditterbo

I had a 5mm genio. It was so small that nobody knew I had it done. Not even family or best friend who seen me a week after. I didn't even have much recession to begin with either. 5-6mm is a very small movement if someone has quite a recessive chin. I ended up getting a chin wing afterwards which finally created a more balanced profile.

Pshhh I went from recessive chin, up to 7mm then 12mm augmentation (chin implant).  Literally no one, outside of immediate family, knows anything happened, but it helped that I had a rhino at the same time as the 1st implant to distract. 6mm is not negligible. It's all about your chin's geometric relationship with the rest of your face, at the end of the day and whether 6mm gets you where the chin is 'supposed' to be or not.

overbiteme

Pshhh I went from recessive chin, up to 7mm then 12mm augmentation (chin implant).  Literally no one, outside of immediate family, knows anything happened, but it helped that I had a rhino at the same time as the 1st implant to distract. 6mm is not negligible. It's all about your chin's geometric relationship with the rest of your face, at the end of the day and whether 6mm gets you where the chin is 'supposed' to be or not.

Do you mind sharing your before and after photos? (only the chin part is appreciated) I'm considering getting a SG and plant togerther now.

overbiteme

Yes, my total movement was 12mm too, and it's still the case that I'm the only one who can notice the difference. I get what you mean about the chins relationship to the rest of the face, sure, but in her case do you think removing the implant and a 6mm genio would be enough? My own (unprofessional) opinion would be to possibly look at a little more.

Overbitme: yeah it was an osteotomy. Much harder recovery than standard genio and I personally think it can give too strong a look on women. By the way, I think you look great. I'm only saying that if you wanted to remove the implant for whatever reason and then go with the genio then I'd ask about a few mm more - but if you left it in then you'd still look fine.

Thanks!  My lower jaw advancement was 8.4mm and my implant I guess is 4-5mm. I totally agree with you that taking out the implant plus 6mm genio will not make too much difference. I'll talk to my surgeon to see what he says, he is relatively conservative though. I'm looking at 8mm+forward and 4mm+downward. Do you mind sharing your procedure? Did you only get 12mm genio? Does the advancement cause any indentation on your jaw line (that's why my surgeon warned me to keep the movement within 6mm)

needadvancement

No problem at all, I'll send you a detailed PM of my procedures tomorrow if that's okay. Though I should state that I'm no authority on this stuff at all, just someone who had it done. The genio was only 5mm ( I had two), but no indentation or numbness at all.

You had two genio's? One was 5mm and what about the other if you don't mind me asking.

whatdo

Who did you get a chin wing with? How were the results?

overbiteme

Dear all, I contacted a plastic surgeon yesterday. He did a morph for me like this. Also he mentioned my original impant was about 4mm. Based on the morph, 5mm further would be needed for SG. So in total he suggest me to get 9mm SG advacement. Do you guys think the advancement would be too much for me? It looks a bit pointy I feel.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:57:44 PM by overbiteme »

needadvancement

Is that your regular head posture? If your head is more upward then I think it would be a little bit too much for you, namely because the chin would be too far ahead of the lower lip.

overbiteme

Is that your regular head posture? If your head is more upward then I think it would be a little bit too much for you, namely because the chin would be too far ahead of the lower lip.

I took these photos by myself. So maybe the posture was not right.