Author Topic: Dr Hernandez Alfaro  (Read 44799 times)

uj

Re: Dr Hernandez Alfaro
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2018, 03:34:51 AM »
ITALIA, thank you for sharing.

I was wondering how other people's experiences compared with mine.

My consultation pretty much lasted 2 minutes - He said there was nothing to be done and when I told him my concerns  he did give me a look of surprise so I didn't push him on it.

I didn't feel he spent much time with me either, but did he examine you? Take pictures or dental molds?

- Spanish surgeon (Alfaro). Had online consult and he agreed to send through his recommendations in writing based on what he'd seen, along with morphs etc. Never came through. Never responded to my e-mails. Again, my money was taken and nothing was gained.

I didn't get any of these things either, but he didn't offer, and I was too clueless to ask.

He examined me briefly (no measurements), dictating notes to a nurse in Spanish. Didn't volunteer much. I did get an itemized quote, and they sent me a set of pictures.

uj

« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »
Did anyone who consulted with him get a detailed treatment plan?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a different experience, but I do think

True, the doctor will not be operating on him. Which IMO is for the best if he is always in such a rush to get things finished as if he wants to make a world record attempt. TBH that speed factor "brag" serves a dual purpose. Firstly, it's transparent marketing directed towards his ideal customer base: people who aren't surgery vets and more likely to be "scared" of anesthesia/death vs. living with their natural face, which is what scares surgery vets more. And secondly, it's basically him trying to squeeze as much as possible into one day, i.e. he's money orientated or rates his skills very highly and thinks that speed is a measure of this.

This provides some insight into this doctor's disdain for those who dare to "ask questions" because he is targeting the uninformed and the complaint, which is what he usually gets I'd bet, given the Spanish aren't remotely as pedantic about aesthetics as the Americans/Northern Europeans are.

But about common practices and risks... those two are not mutually exclusive in the world of surgery, whereas time and money are intrinsically related.

One user was "refused treatment because [he] questioned whether it was sensible to also do a revision rhinoplasty at the same time as bimax."

It sounds like another didn't get a plan before or her records after, so even now, 3 years later, she doesn't know exactly what he did. Luckily for her, she had a positive experience.

Probably, unless you ask, they just won't offer. And even if you do ask, they might
  • Claim your records aren't ready yet,
  • Claim they've sent them to you already,
  • Try to give you just the parts that don't actually tell you anything, or
  • Ignore you entirely.
It's easier to lie to or gaslight people if they don't have information. (And you're in a position of authority. And they think you're "charming and honest.")

Hence
  • Not generating information (taking any measurements, doing any analyses) to begin with, which also happens to be less work
  • Volunteering little in the way of specifics
  • Not offering records
  • If asked, making access difficult

ditterbo

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »
One user was "refused treatment because [he] questioned whether it was sensible to also do a revision rhinoplasty at the same time as bimax."

Welp, that kills the deal with Alfaro, in my case. He wants almost as much as Gunson anyway, which is ridiculous considering how I understand he charges closer patients half what I was quoted. Without asking he incorporated the rhinoplasty cost into the surgical quote, which I now won't bother asking to remove and just consider it a total loss w/him.  In my video consult, he criticized my nose, but NOT the parts I actually need fixing. Specifically he wants to lower my dorsum even more after a massive reduction was already accomplished in my first rhino. I don't need my nose turning even more feminine to match my recessed eyes, tyvm. 

uj

« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2018, 04:27:18 AM »
Welp, that kills the deal with Alfaro, in my case. He wants almost as much as Gunson anyway, which is ridiculous considering how I understand he charges closer patients half what I was quoted. Without asking he incorporated the rhinoplasty cost into the surgical quote, which I now won't bother asking to remove and just consider it a total loss w/him.  In my video consult, he criticized my nose, but NOT the parts I actually need fixing.

ditterbo, did you get a treatment plan or the option to pay for a surgical workup?

Does he charge locals more like

I contacted a patient of Raffaini's who lives in Italy and just had the surgery a couple of months ago, he told me it cost around 10k.

which is less than half what Raffaini quoted me?

In my experience,

I think he is super skilled but he wants autonomy in his plans and does not care much for the patient's input if it contradicts his designs.

Mixed bag.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:47:32 AM by uj »

Langpam

« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2018, 02:28:48 AM »
My user name is Langpam and I am the lady referred to in these posts.

It is now almost four years since my surgery ( I posted a video of my experience earlier this year and my husband spoke too) and I can only add that it has changed my life. No CPAP machine at night and a younger face. What’s not to like?

I still get questions from people on this site.

My advice to everyone reading this is to look at the facts and NOT to listen to one angry person who has not posted photos and who makes sweeping statements.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2018, 03:03:05 PM »
My user name is Langpam and I am the lady referred to in these posts.

It is now almost four years since my surgery ( I posted a video of my experience earlier this year and my husband spoke too) and I can only add that it has changed my life. No CPAP machine at night and a younger face. What’s not to like?

I still get questions from people on this site.

My advice to everyone reading this is to look at the facts and NOT to listen to one angry person who has not posted photos and who makes sweeping statements.

I think the person should illustrate with photos too as YOU DID to illustrate your experience. Also, not sure how 'fair' it was for you for him/her to ask you a bunch of questions, take your TIME and all and then use your text in quotes when the  'plan' all along was warn about the doctor.  When they first got on, it appeared that they were entertaining possibility of consulting with him. Like it was not so clear they had a complaint. I think he/she should have just started with the complaint and not called you into their 'stuff'.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Langpam

« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2018, 03:15:26 AM »
Kavan

Thank you so much for your post. You have hit the nail on the head. I was trying to be helpful by answering all the questions, only to find that some of my comments were taken out of context and used for the purpose of condemning the surgeon that to me is brilliant.

I believe that to be so underhanded is a reflection of this individual’s personality. Can anyone trust anything he/she says. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
Kavan

Thank you so much for your post. You have hit the nail on the head. I was trying to be helpful by answering all the questions, only to find that some of my comments were taken out of context and used for the purpose of condemning the surgeon that to me is brilliant.

I believe that to be so underhanded is a reflection of this individual’s personality. Can anyone trust anything he/she says. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I feel for you on this because the poster did not disclose his/her agenda from the get go that they had a complaint. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm kind of sure that IF you knew AHEAD of time, your efforts would be used in this way, you would not have bothered.

Langpam

« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2018, 11:09:40 AM »
Kavan, you are absolutely correct. If I had known this person’s agenda AHEAD of time, that I was being used,I would most certainly NOT have responded.

This calls into question this person’s (uj) criticism of Dr Hernandez Alfaro as not being “ transparent”.

Uj has been far from transparent but rather, I believe, manipulative. It makes me cross that one person can vent so much anger and attempt to destroy such an accomplished surgeon.

I would have more respect if uj made constructive criticism and was more honest from the start.

uj

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2018, 11:33:26 PM »
I had wanted to hear from other people without disposing them either way. Looking back, this may not have been the best approach, and I apologize, especially to Langpam.

"Maybe, unless you ask..." These things had happened to me, and I should have stated this clearly.

This was my experience. I should not have mentioned anyone else, and I am very sorry.

I have requested that my thread be deleted. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and/or respond, and I appreciate the feedback.

ditterbo

« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
Why don't you post in the private forum instead with blacked out features, x ray etc?

kellz

« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2018, 05:05:28 AM »
Just wanted to chime in with my experience with Dr.  Alfaro as I had surgery with him by the end of last year. I was a lurker on here before that but I feel it's time to give my 2 cents.

Just as Langpam, I had "Surgery First" (actually it was "Surgery Only" as I never had to wear any retainers or bracers, with my bite being perfect today) with him as my bite was fine pre-op. The reasons were a recessed jaw (aesthetics) and sleep apnea, and I am very happy I went ahead with this. Before booking with Dr. Alfaro, I had consulted with a couple other surgeons. I also consulted with Langpam on this forum to ask about her experience (thanks again!).

Altogether my experience with Dr. Alfaro, from the consultation to the months post-op, was very positive and if I had to do it again I wouldn't hesitate. Not only did my sleep improve, but my breathing overall did, which is really a huge plus for me as I train MMA and weightlift. As for aesthetics, my jaw looks a lot sharper from the front but the biggest improvement was in my profile - to the point where I am no longer conscious about my recession. The Dr. was very straightforward and I felt honest too, and he obviously showed me the planned movements the days before the surgery. Everything went according to plan, and I believe I had 11 mm maxillary advancement and around 17-18 mm advancement of the mandible due to CCW rotation (haven't asked for the surgery report as I felt I had no need for it tbh). The surgery took around 2 hours I believe.

I was a bit hesitant to go ahead with the surgery in the months before, but I decided spontaneously to e-mail the clinic while I was on vacation in Barcelona in hopes of perhaps being able to see Dr. Alfaro to ask some questions/discuss some thoughts I had. They replied the same day and were able to arrange for a meeting with the Dr. the next day. We had a sit down, he answered all my questions and we discussed my thoughts and any fears I might've had, feeling no time pressure whatsoever. Seeing that he took his time for me like this, unplanned, on a day's notice sealed the deal for me.

So my experience with Dr. Alfaro, the nurses and the international staff (I am from Scandinavia) was overwhelmlingly positive, and I'd highly recommend him to anyone planning to have jaw surgery.

For privacy reasons however I do not wish to post any pictures of my outcome. If I change my mind later, on I will maybe post some. For now, you'll just have to take my word for it!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:14:51 AM by kellz »

dardok

« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2018, 02:40:35 PM »
I have some questions about this paper he wrote.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/U-shaped-osteotomy-in-management-of-paranasal-H%C3%A9rnandez-Alfaro-Garc%C3%ADa/a470963ed660acea1ec721dcbba927dae217ebd4

This surgery seems to be able to solve my facial problems but there is no mention of it at all past this individual paper.

Is there a reason it is not done more?

andyb

« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2018, 01:55:09 AM »
Hello everyone,

I used Dr Hernandez Alfaro and his team in Barcelona nearly a month ago now.  (procedure on 5th July) I can assure you that he is one of the best surgeons in Europe and he knows what he is doing, very professional, and has an amazing team of other surgeons, nurses, staff that make the whole team work very efficiently and professionally. 
I had first consultation in May 2018 and then went back for the medical procedure for pre op tests 2nd July 2018.
They are very good with the first consultation, scans, tests takes a couple of hours and everything is prepared all in the same day with full detailed document for you to take away, and think about it. I got more done in 2 hours with them than 3 months wasting my time in the UK.

All my life i had a problem breathing and he fixed this problem all at the same time and the jaw surgery by sorting out the septum and its normal that he will correct the nose structure when doing class III operation, and i think in most cases some sort of adjustment is necessery.

Within 2 weeks of the operation i was able to swim in the ocean (salt water only) and this Sat just gone (just after 3 weeks after operation) i was back to rock climbing. i think its important before the procedure that you are fit and healthy (best shape of your life) helps the recovery.

I fully recommend people to go to Barcelona and have a consultation and see what its about, the hospital is clean, nice, and best one i have been to in my life.  the staff are very friendly and knowledgable, very professional and helpfull (especially Pertra) and the nurses.

To me and my experience Dr Hernandez Alfaro is the best sureon in Europe ( that's just my experience and opinion) highly recommend.  oh and make sure you ask questions and tell him what you think is wrong with your face and what you want, and he will do an exelant job.

Andrew

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:02 PM »
OK, you've got 6 posts up here as of TODAY and 5 of them are recommending Alfaro. Please be mindful not to make almost every post on here a recommendation for Alfaro lest you give yourself the appearance you are promoting/advertising for him.

I'm not saying you are doing that. I'm saying if a new poster comes to the venue and in almost every post they rec. a doctor, it gives the appearance you are promo/advertising for him which incidentally, works against a doctor because people might think you are shilling.