Author Topic: IMDO/ jaw surgery in adults ??? (Pics included)  (Read 10041 times)

Brianna-95

IMDO/ jaw surgery in adults ??? (Pics included)
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
I'm 21 years old, I have an overbite and a small chin and I'm having so much trouble deciding what the hell to do about it. I've never had braces before but I am very interested in getting them at some point. I've looked into jaw surgery but the idea terrifies me. Lately ive been researching what I can about IMDO and I'm really interested in it but apparently it's no good for adults? I'm wondering if anybody could please tell me anything you know about it, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to pay for a consultation.

If anybody could offer some insight or tips or anything, even if it's not about IMDO specifically but if you have any ideas about what I should be looking into, it would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:57:58 PM by Brianna-95 »

Brianna-95

Re: IMDO surgery in adults
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »
I'm including some pictures in case anybody has some insight into what the hell I should be looking into, lol.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:09:00 PM by Brianna-95 »

ppsk

Re: IMDO/ jaw surgery in adults ??? (Pics included)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:23:19 AM »
you'd have to consult Coceancig and ask him. I know when I inquired about it for my case he said he wouldn't do it, in favor of traditional jaw surgery. I didnt press as to why, if I had to guess its probably because in my case the results wouldve been more easily and readily achieved with BSSO and LF1 whereas I think IMDO in adults is probably only indicated for people with such physically small mandibles that they BSSO is not possible until the jaw has been distracted for enough "space" to operate so to speak....

Brianna-95

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 05:12:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to have a consult with him just to rule it out but yeah... I get the impression that he doesn't really like to do it in adults unless there aren't many other options, since there is pretty much nothing I can find on the internet about it.  I'm seriously considering BSSO instead but the idea of surgery is so scary to me. I'll just have to get Over it I guess, lol. I think there's just so many things and procedures to consider that I'm finding it hard to narrow down the options. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I should look into so I can be cost effective.

ETA: is there any surgery you would recommend for me to achieve an ideal profile, based on the pictures?

ppsk

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to have a consult with him just to rule it out but yeah... I get the impression that he doesn't really like to do it in adults unless there aren't many other options, since there is pretty much nothing I can find on the internet about it.  I'm seriously considering BSSO instead but the idea of surgery is so scary to me. I'll just have to get Over it I guess, lol. I think there's just so many things and procedures to consider that I'm finding it hard to narrow down the options. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I should look into so I can be cost effective.

ETA: is there any surgery you would recommend for me to achieve an ideal profile, based on the pictures?

you look like a candidate for bimax and some type of lengthening genioplasty..

I dont think you will go wrong with Coceancig.... IIRC he's about 10k per jaw which is absolutely in the normal price range for this kind of surgery in the 1st world. If you have insurance they will probably cover it.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
you look like a candidate for bimax and some type of lengthening genioplasty..

I dont think you will go wrong with Coceancig.... IIRC he's about 10k per jaw which is absolutely in the normal price range for this kind of surgery in the 1st world. If you have insurance they will probably cover it.
He doesn't do CCW. Any surgeon like that in this day and age is welcome to operate on his friends and family only.

ppsk

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »
He doesn't do CCW. Any surgeon like that in this day and age is welcome to operate on his friends and family only.

1. AFAIK me and grey are the only guys who have actually consulted Coceancig on this forum, and the only thing i said on the matter was that he didn't seem keen on the movement, not that he doesn't do it.

2. When did this forum become the CCW forum? its not always indicated and honestly having now consulted with a surgeon who does almost exclusively CCW, the aesthetic difference is NOT what people on this forum make it out to be. Many of the best jaw surgery results ive seen have been purely linear (HTK for example)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 09:05:01 PM »
He doesn't do them period, even in cases where it's clearly indicated. Not everyone needs one, but there is no substitute where it's indicated. And of course a surgeon who doesn't do them will tell you that you don't need it.

ppsk

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 12:27:55 AM »
He doesn't do them period, even in cases where it's clearly indicated. Not everyone needs one, but there is no substitute where it's indicated. And of course a surgeon who doesn't do them will tell you that you don't need it.

What i mean is have you actually heard that from Coceancig?

this forum deals way too much in hearsay which leads to bulls**t "facts" being passed around. I remember some things I read about Triaca and Zarrinbal that turned out to be utterly false.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 01:13:49 AM »
What i mean is have you actually heard that from Coceancig?

this forum deals way too much in hearsay which leads to bulls**t "facts" being passed around. I remember some things I read about Triaca and Zarrinbal that turned out to be utterly false.
You don't realise what a backwater Australia is. No surgeon does CCW in Australia.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 03:01:52 AM »
Careful there jawjawbinks.  He might come after the forum for slighting him.

Brianna-95

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 04:26:09 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm still just as confused as I was before  ;D but I'm looking into Bimax at the moment

PloskoPlus

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 04:41:17 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm still just as confused as I was before  ;D but I'm looking into Bimax at the moment
Where do you live?

Brianna-95

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 04:46:01 AM »
Also I live about 20 minutes away from Coceancig's office so I am definitely having a consultation with him to see what he says. I also just went on his instagram and saw that somebody I went to school with had bimax surgery by him, which isn't really relevant, I just remember thinking that their results were amazing and i find it comforting to know someone who has Had jaw surgery  themselves when you're looking into it  :) this person would have been between  13-16 at the time.

Bowie

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 04:48:25 AM »
I think it really is a good indicitaor whether a surgeon does ccw or not as to their abilities and passion for the field. You want a surgeon who is foward thinking, not stuck in a rut of outdated medicine culture. By that I kind of mean doctors that just learn what they are taught in their diplomas and further studies but never keep up with new emerging procedures or techniques of even worse blankly dissaprove of them.

I heard *yes hearsay* that when students are in medical school and even when they go on to further specialize in surgery and maxillofacial surgery or plastic surgery, there is a culture that is encouraged by the teaching doctors and professors that seems to be very anti what is viewed as "cosmetic" surgery. In the U.K. at least, which would explain why doctors are body dysmorphia crazy in the UK, I sudspect it's the same in AU.

I'm rambling but my point is, if a surgeon has learnt ccw then it would seem that they could be an overall more dynamic and open-minded surgeon.