Author Topic: IMDO/ jaw surgery in adults ??? (Pics included)  (Read 10044 times)

ppsk

Re: IMDO/ jaw surgery in adults ??? (Pics included)
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 05:13:05 AM »
Coceancig pioneered IMDO, so i do not think it is fair to say he is not open minded or forward thinking..

we need to wind our necks in on this forum sometimes, these people are trained, we are amateurs. So on one hand while we can say oh if so and so doesnt do <x> procedure they're not very good, we need to step back and consider they might have very good reasons for not doing <x> and <y>. I'm guilty of doing this myself in regard to a certain plastic surgeon's opinion on the chin wing procedure....

Its not fair to label Coceancig as some backward stone age ortho, because clearly he is not - PEEK implants, pioneering a distraction technique, using full 3D imaging etc. These are not things most surgeons in Australia do. The local maxfac in my city didn't even know it was possible to do surgery first / no pre-op braces.

Brianna-95

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 07:05:05 AM »
Thanks for the input. I'm definitely looking forward to consulting with him asap

PloskoPlus

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 01:57:51 PM »
Very few people would benefit from Imdo. Most people just don't have the overjet to benefit from it. The other problem seems far more common - small overjet, yet a recessed profile due to a steep occlusal plane. The standard treatment is linear advancement of both jaws and a big ugly genioplasty. The results are always underwhelming. Only CCW helps.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »
In adults with no overjet it's a 3 stage process which moves both jaws. It's long, painful and hard. The overall outcome expands the jaw in all three dimensions and changes the occlusal plane.
The imdo is a big bsso at the end of the day. Good surgeons can now manage 20mm advancements without imdo.

If you have a steep occlusal plan, no matter how much you advance both jaws, you will still look recessed and the face will just look longer from the front. The internet is full of these poor results.

Wheatsnax

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 11:07:38 PM »
In adults with no overjet it's a 3 stage process which moves both jaws. It's long, painful and hard. The overall outcome expands the jaw in all three dimensions and changes the occlusal plane.

can you explain how the occlusal plane is changed if the IMDO follows the mandibular plane (should it be steep)? is it expanding and advancing the upper jaw enough for auto rotation?

Milli_Meters

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 11:40:25 PM »
The imdo is a big bsso at the end of the day. Good surgeons can now manage 20mm advancements without imdo.

If you have a steep occlusal plan, no matter how much you advance both jaws, you will still look recessed and the face will just look longer from the front. The internet is full of these poor results.

Hi Ploskoplus ,

Someone shared their bimax + Chin Wing results with me , with 6 mm bsso and 6 mm CW (not SW) and it kinda looked like CCW ...  Do you think its just my untrained eye?

Jol

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 11:51:15 PM »
1. AFAIK me and grey are the only guys who have actually consulted Coceancig on this forum, and the only thing i said on the matter was that he didn't seem keen on the movement, not that he doesn't do it.

Not quite, my daughter had IMDO with him.  http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=4475.0

ppsk

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 11:56:47 PM »
Not quite, my daughter had IMDO with him.  http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=4475.0

Ah yes sorry Jol I remember this thread but it skipped my mind, thanks.

Jol

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 12:01:29 AM »
I'm 21 years old, I have an overbite and a small chin and I'm having so much trouble deciding what the hell to do about it. I've never had braces before but I am very interested in getting them at some point.

I'd suggest the first thing you need to do is see a good orthodontist - and one who is familiar with referring patients for jaw surgery, if you think that's what you might need.

Brianna-95

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 03:32:43 AM »
I'd suggest the first thing you need to do is see a good orthodontist - and one who is familiar with referring patients for jaw surgery, if you think that's what you might need.

Thanks very much I appreciate it.  :)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 03:44:53 AM »
Thanks very much I appreciate it.  :)
I'm of a pretty low opinion of our surgeons... But consider seeing someone who does a lot of surgeries. All surgeons lie - "I do 200 a year!" Believe me, when they say this, they count everything - tooth implants, wisdom teeth... Maybe a dozen of those will be orthognathic surgery. See Lydia Lim. I think she's done the most ORTHOGNATHIC surgeries in Sidney. I'm pretty sure she doesn't do CCW (which you might need), but she will have the most experience of all Sydney surgeons.

Wheatsnax

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95c9fRxQ4Ec&list=PLjC4hIwmyQfjXgckxslgVI9BPkh6wcv-a

new imdo video, turn on the auto-translation - works okay

Chch

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
Bump.

I've had a consult with Dr. C. Can't comment on his skills as a surgeon, his website has great results on it, but two things put me off a little:

1. Everytime I google anything to do research, his practice seems to be the first thing that shows up as the Ad result. Which might imply he's not exactly inundated with patients.

2. He was really pushing his I MDO for me, which would cost way way more than BBSO, but with seemingly comparative results (although potentially less risk of nerve damage). I think distraction is a great option for growing teens but not sure it's that worth it for adults, just IMO.

Wheatsnax

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »
Bump.

I've had a consult with Dr. C. Can't comment on his skills as a surgeon, his website has great results on it, but two things put me off a little:

1. Everytime I google anything to do research, his practice seems to be the first thing that shows up as the Ad result. Which might imply he's not exactly inundated with patients.

2. He was really pushing his I MDO for me, which would cost way way more than BBSO, but with seemingly comparative results (although potentially less risk of nerve damage). I think distraction is a great option for growing teens but not sure it's that worth it for adults, just IMO.

Are you from Australia? He might be pushing IMDO due to insurance coverage for locals, not so much for foreigners.

Chch

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »
Are you from Australia? He might be pushing IMDO due to insurance coverage for locals, not so much for foreigners.

Yep I'm in Aus.