Author Topic: What are the risks with a BSSO?  (Read 901 times)

TheDancingQueen

What are the risks with a BSSO?
« on: July 15, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »
It's hard to find good information about BSSO. Is it significantly more risky than a sliding genioplasty? Is it something any maxillofacial surgeon can do or should I look for someone who specializes in it?

XXRyanXXL

Re: What are the risks with a BSSO?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:13:48 AM »
Any Oral Surgeon practicing in jaw surgeries should have the knowledge, capability, and expertise to know how to perform a BSSO.
They don't even have to be Board Certified to qualify to perform this operation, there qualification as Board Certified it's merely the icing on the cake.
Risks associated with BSSO:
screws become lose after surgery requiring removal of the titanium screw and plate and reapplying them.
You could be open to infection. 
The bones involved with any surgery are susceptible to some degree of relapse, even with the titanium screws and plates affixed.
The incision is on the inside of the mouth near the back molars, so there could be some initial scarring tissue there, but quickly goes away.
You could have some tingly sensations on the side of the mouth where the incision points are made.
I've only listed a subset of the complications I know of.
Genio is similar in practice, however the incision point is much larger, and more susceptible to some degree of loss of sensations around the chin area. This takes the longest time to heal from, as the regeneration of the nerve impulses diminishes in smaller degree concentric circles centered around the middle of the chin. If you read some of the opinions on this site, most people have experience even longer term paralysis right in the middle of the chin, the size of a eraser head.