Author Topic: Jaw surgery a possibility after radiotherapy or chemotherapy?  (Read 905 times)

ExtractionsRuinFaces

Radiotherapy site would be near the neck, close to the back of the jaw bone (ramus)

Can't really find much information on this as the likelihood of wanting/getting jaw surgery and also having cancer is rather low. Does anyone here have any experience with this? I should really be asking surgeons but I'm quite nervous to do that.

Main concern is the area of treatment would be my lymph nodes which are very close to the carotid artery which supplies blood to the bone and tissue in the face and also the brain. Proposed treatment plan at the moment is radiotherapy, I doubt chemo would be a problem with surgery, at least long term.

Radiation doses for lymphoma are typically lower than treatment for actual throat and mouth cancers but this is still highly worrying as jaw surgery is something that I really want (and IMO, need)

Milli_Meters

Re: Jaw surgery a possibility after radiotherapy or chemotherapy?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
I am sorry you are going through this.

This question will be best answered by Medical professionals though.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »
you are a great guy, and i admire your strenght and your good character.
i am sorry if sometimes i don't reply, i have a s**tty busy life.

however, you do not need jaw surgery because your face looks extremely attractive. unfortunately your attractiveness is hindered by the fact that you are malnourished and weigh 30 kg less than what is considered to be normal for a  skinny short dude

Bowie

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that, my father has mantle cell lymphoma which is very aggressive but has been kept alive for 7 years so far on a drug that this doctor was offering for a clinical trial, if you are in the UK then it would be worth seeing him

https://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk/rule-s

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 04:49:37 AM »
I finally have a proposed treatment plan. It will be 3 weeks of radiotherapy to my whole neck (as far as I am understanding) at a dose of 30GY with IMRT radiotherapy. Very easy as far as treamtent goes but the radiologist and haematologist both think I cannot postpone treatment for jaw surgery (I have a slow growing type of lymphoma so I thought this might've been an option, probably not as surgeons wouldn't be comfortable operating on me despite normal blood markers) and my only option for a cure is radiotherapy as chemo doesn't work particularly well at fully killing slow growing types of lymphoma, chemo will still leave behind a few microscopic cells that will then grow back over a number of years.

Really pissed off that this s**t has to be on my neck of all places. Would much rather have it above my groin or in my armpit. Neck complicates ALL procedures done to the face.

They didn't rule out surgery completely but tbh I don't think they know since radiation technology has advanced a lot over the last decade and like I said in my original post the likelihood of needing radiotherapy to the neck and requiring or wanting jaw surgery is very slim.