Author Topic: Oral Surgeon in Toronto, Ontario  (Read 3024 times)

ShiraishiMichiyo1996

Oral Surgeon in Toronto, Ontario
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:07:59 AM »
Hello! I'm 21 years old and planning on getting jaw surgery done as soon as possible for severe jaw asymmetry and an open bite. My orthodontist said he can refer me to whoever I want from Toronto, and I'm either gonna go with Dr Marco Caminiti or Dr Claudio Tocchio. I've heard that they are the best in Toronto, and perhaps two of the most experienced in Canada. My orthodontist usually uses Dr Tocchio, and said that he hasn't heard of Dr Caminiti before, so that made me a bit uneasy about going with the latter. But looking at online reviews (like on ratemds), Dr Tocchio has quite a few negative reviews (not just a bit negative, they are quite bad); whereas Dr Caminiti has only positive reviews. Does anyone know anything or have any experience with either of these doctors? I need to decide soon so any help would be appreciated!  :D

Austinou88

Re: Oral Surgeon in Toronto, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:13:29 PM »
I live in the USA so I couldn't tell you exactly who's better.
But i'd say when you reach a tough/confusing choice like this, there's several things to help you narrow it down.

One important thing is patient reviews (like you mentioned).
Especially recent reviews, that way you're seeing the most recent feedback.

And just because your orthodontist hasn't heard of Dr. Caminiti doesn't mean he's some inexperienced/unknown surgeon.
Not every doctor is going to know each other, Toronto's a big place.

Many people I spoke too didn't know who my surgeon was when I had my rhinoplasty.
And he's one of the best surgeons around the world.

Another thing is years of experience, how long they've been in practice.
Also make sure they're not in any legal trouble. You can find almost anything on the internet, especially from local news.

Ultimately though you could always just consult with both.
Nothing better than an in-person consult.  :)

ShiraishiMichiyo1996

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:26 PM »
I live in the USA so I couldn't tell you exactly who's better.
But i'd say when you reach a tough/confusing choice like this, there's several things to help you narrow it down.

One important thing is patient reviews (like you mentioned).
Especially recent reviews, that way you're seeing the most recent feedback.

And just because your orthodontist hasn't heard of Dr. Caminiti doesn't mean he's some inexperienced/unknown surgeon.
Not every doctor is going to know each other, Toronto's a big place.

Many people I spoke too didn't know who my surgeon was when I had my rhinoplasty.
And he's one of the best surgeons around the world.

Another thing is years of experience, how long they've been in practice.
Also make sure they're not in any legal trouble. You can find almost anything on the internet, especially from local news.

Ultimately though you could always just consult with both.
Nothing better than an in-person consult.  :)

Thank you for your reply! The bad reviews on ratemds about Dr Tocchio did put me off, but I also heard that sites like that aren't that reliable, as the reviews are anonymous and competitors could write slanderous ones and doctors themselves could write positive ones. I wish that I could consult with both, but I don't think my orthodontist would be willing to send multiple referrals, and my mom probably wouldn't want to drive to Toronto twice for the consultations (we live four hours away). It seems that both surgeons have been practising for a very long time, and they used to be partners before going onto their own separate practises. From the internet, it seems they are almost equal in terms of skill and experience, but I really want to choose the right one, the one that can best deal with my case (which is more complicated than most jaw surgeries) and who is better with aesthetics - but I can't find that out from the internet. So yeah, I wish I could consult with both but I am too embarrassed to ask my orthodontist and my mom.

Austinou88

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 04:23:42 PM »
Thank you for your reply! The bad reviews on ratemds about Dr Tocchio did put me off, but I also heard that sites like that aren't that reliable, as the reviews are anonymous and competitors could write slanderous ones and doctors themselves could write positive ones.
I wouldn't say sites like those are unreliable, but I wouldn't solely base my decision off of 1 site.
It's best to check multiple review sites and form your opinion from there. Ex:
  • Health Grades
  • Realself
  • RateMDs
I wish that I could consult with both, but I don't think my orthodontist would be willing to send multiple referrals, and my mom probably wouldn't want to drive to Toronto twice for the consultations (we live four hours away). It seems that both surgeons have been practicing for a very long time, and they used to be partners before going onto their own separate practises. From the internet, it seems they are almost equal in terms of skill and experience, but I really want to choose the right one, the one that can best deal with my case (which is more complicated than most jaw surgeries) and who is better with aesthetics - but I can't find that out from the internet. So yeah, I wish I could consult with both but I am too embarrassed to ask my orthodontist and my mom.
You wouldn't have to drive to Toronto twice if you setup both consultations to be on the same day (different times of course).
You're not asking your Orthodontist for "multiple" referrals by asking for only 2.

It would be common sense to consult with both doctors, since you're going to have to go to Toronto eventually.
So politely explain this to your Orthodontist, ask him for the referrals, and he should have no problem with it.

It's better to do things right the first time to ensure a good result, rather than end up with a bad one because you were too embarrassed to ask or didn't want to make anyone mad.
If anyone would be mad, it would be because your family wasted there time doing this for you simply for you to have to get a revision done because of a bad outcome.

Jaw surgery isn't a typical procedure, and you should make sure you're seeing someone well versed in it.
So looks like you got a couple options here, either go with tocchio, or consult both, or wait till your older to do this so you can drive.

Ultimately the decision is yours.
Goodluck! :)

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
both tocchio and caminetti are good. I would go with dr. stephen ho, also in toronto.

ShiraishiMichiyo1996

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
I wouldn't say sites like those are unreliable, but I wouldn't solely base my decision off of 1 site.
It's best to check multiple review sites and form your opinion from there. Ex:
  • Health Grades
  • Realself
  • RateMDs
You wouldn't have to drive to Toronto twice if you setup both consultations to be on the same day (different times of course).
You're not asking your Orthodontist for "multiple" referrals by asking for only 2.

It would be common sense to consult with both doctors, since you're going to have to go to Toronto eventually.
So politely explain this to your Orthodontist, ask him for the referrals, and he should have no problem with it.

It's better to do things right the first time to ensure a good result, rather than end up with a bad one because you were too embarrassed to ask or didn't want to make anyone mad.
If anyone would be mad, it would be because your family wasted there time doing this for you simply for you to have to get a revision done because of a bad outcome.

Jaw surgery isn't a typical procedure, and you should make sure you're seeing someone well versed in it.
So looks like you got a couple options here, either go with tocchio, or consult both, or wait till your older to do this so you can drive.

Ultimately the decision is yours.
Goodluck! :)

Thanks for your advice! In Canada though, waiting times to get an appointment with a surgeon is much longer than it would be in the US. I could see both surgeons, but there is no way I could see them on the same day. Right now though, I'm leaning more towards Dr Tocchio - I can't go wrong with the surgeon who is supposed to have the most experience in Canada, right? He seems to be the most popular in Ontario, and does 7 surgeries a week.

I am already quite old, lol. I can't wait any longer for jaw surgery. Also, there are many other things I want to get done for my face eventually - like rhinoplasty, ptosis correction, etc (other surgeries will be in South Korea). But all those things have to come after jaw surgery.

ShiraishiMichiyo1996

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 03:24:28 PM »
both tocchio and caminetti are good. I would go with dr. stephen ho, also in toronto.

I think I might go with Dr Tocchio - he seems to be more popular and experienced.