Author Topic: Feeling crazy after jaw surgery  (Read 5705 times)

pandagetsbraces

Feeling crazy after jaw surgery
« on: July 27, 2017, 12:40:46 AM »
Hello all, I am new to this forum and found this site through Google. I had jaw surgery exactly 5 weeks ago and it's been a roller coaster of emotions since getting it done and i was hoping people who have been through could help bring some clarity. I shoud start by saying I've had braces for almost 3 years now. My initial projection was 18 months for braces. I was told straight from the get go that I would need surgery, I declined because i never wanted to do it. It honestly sounded awful and scary. I decided that I would see how far the braces could take me and my ortho agreed but as I continued I realized my bite truly would never correct with just braces and my issues could only be fixed by surgery. My ortho suggested doing a consult as it couldn't hurt to sit down and talk with a surgeon. I had a deep bite and over bite, talking with the surgeon I realized that this surgery could also help with my sleep issues. I never realized that my jaw was what was causing me to wake up gasping for air at night. Cosmetically I liked my face before, my profile was fine and I liked my really round face and the way I looked. My surgeon also told me id lose teeth later in life if I didn't correct my bite now. Anywho, I went through with the surgery even though I was apprehensive and now i regret it. My face just looks so weird to me now and I feel like I look off. I don't have my round face anymore and now my face is longer, I have less cheeks and my face looks gaunt. The crazy thing is my family says I look the same but I think they're just saying that to be nice. This was honestly an awful surgery and I never anticipated how horrible it was going to be. I'm just praying that in the very least i won't have those sleep issues anymore, I just need a positive in all this negative.

How much changes do you see after this point? Can I expect my mid face to fill out a bit more? I don't want to be stuck with this face anymore and I've even been googling cosmetic suregry options for the last little while. I wish I could have a proper bite and my own face back. :(

UKMaxfac

Re: Feeling crazy after jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:07:05 AM »
gaunt is f**king lit bruh f**k round face

maybe its a female

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 03:17:48 AM »
gaunt is f**king lit bruh f**k round face
Very supportive.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »
Millimeters are miles on the face.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:25:08 AM »
OP, usually by 6 weeks things are pretty close to how they'll wind up. Most major swelling is gone. You'll have some residual swelling for several more months. Wait until that's all gone and see how things are. Also, consider there's an adjustment period to your new face. If it's objectively bad (we'd need to see photos) then you might want to consider revision. The fact your face got longer and thinner suggests your surgeon did a clockwise movement, and it's hard to know if that was appropriate since we have no cephs, etc. You have to share more for us to say what's up. And also, sorry this happened to you.

pandagetsbraces

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
OP, usually by 6 weeks things are pretty close to how they'll wind up. Most major swelling is gone. You'll have some residual swelling for several more months. Wait until that's all gone and see how things are. Also, consider there's an adjustment period to your new face. If it's objectively bad (we'd need to see photos) then you might want to consider revision. The fact your face got longer and thinner suggests your surgeon did a clockwise movement, and it's hard to know if that was appropriate since we have no cephs, etc. You have to share more for us to say what's up. And also, sorry this happened to you.

I never want to do another jaw surgery like that again. If my bite is in the correct spot and heals fine I'd rather do something cosmetic with jaw shaving or fat grafting... something that isn't as horrible of a recovery. I'm not sure how to post pictures and even then I think a video would show it more. Do you know if having the splint out changes how the face looks after, someone mentioned to me weight loss and not chewing effects face shape too. I feel like I'm grasping to these things hoping they'll make a difference eventually.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 03:23:19 PM »
I never want to do another jaw surgery like that again. If my bite is in the correct spot and heals fine I'd rather do something cosmetic with jaw shaving or fat grafting... something that isn't as horrible of a recovery. I'm not sure how to post pictures and even then I think a video would show it more. Do you know if having the splint out changes how the face looks after, someone mentioned to me weight loss and not chewing effects face shape too. I feel like I'm grasping to these things hoping they'll make a difference eventually.

I don't think any of that stuff affects it very much, if at all. What affects it is the position of the jaws. That's what you're seeing mostly (like 95%). The other stuff is all small. Of course, this is without any photos or records to truly see what's going on. And yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to go through another surgery. My advice: give it some time to fully heal, time to get used to it, then reassess. Try to be kind to yourself and your body during healing because it's been through a lot with this.

jawregret

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 07:43:07 PM »
Hey, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling this way. It's still a bit early to get too down on yourself about the results.

What sorts of movements did you have done?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
I don't think any of that stuff affects it very much, if at all. What affects it is the position of the jaws. That's what you're seeing mostly (like 95%). The other stuff is all small. Of course, this is without any photos or records to truly see what's going on. And yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to go through another surgery. My advice: give it some time to fully heal, time to get used to it, then reassess. Try to be kind to yourself and your body during healing because it's been through a lot with this.
I agree, surgeons like to tell you wait till the swelling comes down... In reality most of the result is pretty clear at 4 weeks.

A-V-P

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »
Hello all, I am new to this forum and found this site through Google. I had jaw surgery exactly 5 weeks ago and it's been a roller coaster of emotions since getting it done and i was hoping people who have been through could help bring some clarity. I shoud start by saying I've had braces for almost 3 years now. My initial projection was 18 months for braces. I was told straight from the get go that I would need surgery, I declined because i never wanted to do it. It honestly sounded awful and scary. I decided that I would see how far the braces could take me and my ortho agreed but as I continued I realized my bite truly would never correct with just braces and my issues could only be fixed by surgery. My ortho suggested doing a consult as it couldn't hurt to sit down and talk with a surgeon. I had a deep bite and over bite, talking with the surgeon I realized that this surgery could also help with my sleep issues. I never realized that my jaw was what was causing me to wake up gasping for air at night. Cosmetically I liked my face before, my profile was fine and I liked my really round face and the way I looked. My surgeon also told me id lose teeth later in life if I didn't correct my bite now. Anywho, I went through with the surgery even though I was apprehensive and now i regret it. My face just looks so weird to me now and I feel like I look off. I don't have my round face anymore and now my face is longer, I have less cheeks and my face looks gaunt. The crazy thing is my family says I look the same but I think they're just saying that to be nice. This was honestly an awful surgery and I never anticipated how horrible it was going to be. I'm just praying that in the very least i won't have those sleep issues anymore, I just need a positive in all this negative.

How much changes do you see after this point? Can I expect my mid face to fill out a bit more? I don't want to be stuck with this face anymore and I've even been googling cosmetic suregry options for the last little while. I wish I could have a proper bite and my own face back. :(

I'm very sorry for what you are going through.
I have no jaw surgery experience but other... I had my surgery last year and unfortunately my face has gotten flatter and flatter the whole year. My ps did many things without my consent and the situation is just terrible. I truly wish better times ahead for you and that you'll be happy or get used to how you look now.
I live in pain and anxiety and try to put information online that people can make informed choices while choosing their ps. My experience is that I unfortunately chose the devil. I feel disgusted to say so, but I have been going through hell eversince I met him and he just lies and ignores.

Take care. 5 weeks post is still early. I truly hope that your situation now is not permanent. No one deserves to suffer like this.
Here is what Dr Timothy J Marten MD of marten clinic of plastic surgery did to me and something more:
https://imgur.com/a/JdEFR

https://timothyjmartenplasticsurgeonbadexperience.wordpress.com/blog/

https://bad-experience-timothy-marten-md.tumblr.com/

pandagetsbraces

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 07:40:54 AM »

yeah I think I'm gonna wait at least a year before I decide on any plastic surgery either.

pandagetsbraces

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »
Hey, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling this way. It's still a bit early to get too down on yourself about the results.

What sorts of movements did you have done?

I have no idea, they never mentioned mm movements, I just know i had bsso.

pandagetsbraces

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 07:44:05 AM »
I'm very sorry for what you are going through.
I have no jaw surgery experience but other... I had my surgery last year and unfortunately my face has gotten flatter and flatter the whole year. My ps did many things without my consent and the situation is just terrible. I truly wish better times ahead for you and that you'll be happy or get used to how you look now.
I live in pain and anxiety and try to put information online that people can make informed choices while choosing their ps. My experience is that I unfortunately chose the devil. I feel disgusted to say so, but I have been going through hell eversince I met him and he just lies and ignores.

Take care. 5 weeks post is still early. I truly hope that your situation now is not permanent. No one deserves to suffer like this.

Thanks, it sucks because everyone sees your face. :( Do you have any plans for revision or plastic surgery to correct what you don't like ?

A-V-P

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »
Thanks, it sucks because everyone sees your face. :( Do you have any plans for revision or plastic surgery to correct what you don't like ?
I searched almost 5 years for the right doctor and  to get help for my skin on my face. Those were long 5 years. Luckily my skin healed that time a bit...
It was a huge decision for me to do plastic surgery. I never thought I would.
Now that the man did things without my consent I have been in very dark place. He took my life away.
I'm very angry for the system to be what it is. Surgery without consent is a crime.
I don't know what I can do. Last time I looked 5 years for the one who could help me with my face and I chose wrong. To be honest I am quite lost. I have no life and I don't know who can help me.
Almost everyday I wish to end my story. I don't like what I see in the mirror even some other person can think that that person looks ok. I don't want to live with this face. I don't want that doctors who do this sort of crimes can continue.

The industry is very sick when it is so very hard to find another doctor who will stand up for the harmed one and say that it is not ok for a colleague to treat patients like this and do things to them without their consent.
I used to be able to look like a feminine woman. Now I have gaunt flat boyish oval face. Only thing that is better is that in the middle of my forehead there is not so much stretched skin.

I don't know who could do a revision to a face that has lost most of it's structures. I really don't know especially I was fooled big time that this first doctor was one of the best...
I wish a miracle happened and I woke up and realised this was just a bad dream or that someone came to me and said they know how to fix what Marten did. Those won't ever happen. I have lost too much because of this horror and I do not know how long I can continue living like this... ~90% of me has given up.

I wish your situation will get better or someone can fix it. No one deserves mental pain like this.
Here is what Dr Timothy J Marten MD of marten clinic of plastic surgery did to me and something more:
https://imgur.com/a/JdEFR

https://timothyjmartenplasticsurgeonbadexperience.wordpress.com/blog/

https://bad-experience-timothy-marten-md.tumblr.com/

pandagetsbraces

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »
I searched almost 5 years for the right doctor and  to get help for my skin on my face. Those were long 5 years. Luckily my skin healed that time a bit...
It was a huge decision for me to do plastic surgery. I never thought I would.
Now that the man did things without my consent I have been in very dark place. He took my life away.
I'm very angry for the system to be what it is. Surgery without consent is a crime.
I don't know what I can do. Last time I looked 5 years for the one who could help me with my face and I chose wrong. To be honest I am quite lost. I have no life and I don't know who can help me.
Almost everyday I wish to end my story. I don't like what I see in the mirror even some other person can think that that person looks ok. I don't want to live with this face. I don't want that doctors who do this sort of crimes can continue.

The industry is very sick when it is so very hard to find another doctor who will stand up for the harmed one and say that it is not ok for a colleague to treat patients like this and do things to them without their consent.
I used to be able to look like a feminine woman. Now I have gaunt flat boyish oval face. Only thing that is better is that in the middle of my forehead there is not so much stretched skin.

I don't know who could do a revision to a face that has lost most of it's structures. I really don't know especially I was fooled big time that this first doctor was one of the best...
I wish a miracle happened and I woke up and realised this was just a bad dream or that someone came to me and said they know how to fix what Marten did. Those won't ever happen. I have lost too much because of this horror and I do not know how long I can continue living like this... ~90% of me has given up.

I wish your situation will get better or someone can fix it. No one deserves mental pain like this.

I know your pain. My face is so long and oval now too. My face sinks in where my cheeks used to be full. I look creepy, every time I happen to walk by a mirror or catch a glimpse of my face I hate it, especially in 3/4 view. I'm trying to be patient at this point but it's hard. The worst is I go back to work soon and I don't want to deal with everyone judging my face. I really miss looking in the mirror and liking my face :( What did your surgeon do that you didnt consent to?