Author Topic: Hurting and desperate for relief - can anyone point me in the right direction?  (Read 689 times)

Anteriorcrossbite1

Hello. I'm a 17 year old male with an anterior cross-bite/underbite. This is quite honestly ruining my life. I can't stand to go outside anymore, allowing people to see me is unbearably humiliating. When I speak, my mouth looks crooked, my lips sit in an awkward position and the misalignment is clearly visible. It's not extreme, not even close. But it is obvious and aesthetically unappealing. All I want is to fix my jaws and teeth and move on to more cosmetic procedures. My mother never really took me to the dentist, i think I've only been once or twice. When I was 12 or 13, I became aware of my problem and begged my mother to help. I begged for three years. She finally took me early 2016. Nothing useful came out of it. I was told the medical term for my problem and  had my teeth cleaned. The receptionist told me to come back in 6 months. Surprise, my worthless mother never brought me back. Now here I am, battling the same problem that maybe could've been prevented, or at least lessened. Anyway, I'm just looking for direction now. I need help. My main concern is achieving a more aesthetically pleasing look. I'm terrified of having a botched surgery, or just looking worse. So I'm here just to seek advice, because I know some users here are veterans when it comes to this topic. If anyone could just give me some pointers, tell me the things that I absolutely must know, warn me, tell me how to choose a doctor, anything! It will all be greatly appreciated, I just really need guidance. I don't really know where to start...

Lefortitude

If you have a dental maloclusion the way youve described, i would go first to see an orthodontist, and then a maxilliofacial surgeon who does two-jaw surgery. 

Aurelius

I feel you man. The confusion and uncertainity can be really painful.

In the end though you have to realize, you are on your own and only you can help yourself. You need to visit an orthontodist/maxillofacial surgeon asap, as that will clear most of your confusion and enable you to act. He can answer all your questions 10x better than the forum, as he knows his s**t and can look you in the face. Stop researching for now, book your appointments and occupy yourself with other things. Nothing good will come from mental masturbation.

Where are you from?