Author Topic: Poor aestethic results from double jaw surgery  (Read 36616 times)

Snackan1986

Re: Poor aestethic results from double jaw surgery
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
I am going through with surgery. I've met with the orthodontic team once. I was supposed to meet the surgeon as well, but he was busy. I just meant that I want a big movement but maybe the surgeon will say 'oh, you only need 8mm' or something like that. In reality I think I need about 25mm or so to look normal. That's why I'm jealous of you, you have a surgeon who is willing to do that.

Okey, so that?s like my first surgery. Pretty much no advancement, bad bite and no improvement in aestethics. Even if the surgery was free of charge, the cost in reality is actually worse (redoing the surgery) I hope your surgeon is good and will do what is best for you. Have you put any pictures/x-rays/cephs on the site? - could be interesting to see :)

Just want to add that I have not yet decided for sure yet that i will go through with surgery but I think I want to do it, but I will take my decision during December. I will need braces again, hopefully not to long though

Snackan1986

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
Which guy was this, do you have a link? I agree with you about the movements. I think Arnett and Gunson underrate the importance of a strong chin. Strong chins really help define the features of a face better. Maybe they think 6-8mm genios look unnatural, but in my opinion they don't on the right patient. Sometimes it is exactly what is required.

Anybody who has seen an x-ray of genioplasty years after surgery when the bones is fully healed? - I mean will there be step-offs and what will it look like? Big advancement of the chin should result in pretty big step offs?

I might ask that next time I email them. I know one reason is because the muscles tend to get a lot thinner if you do to big genios. And also I guess Arnett/Gunson follow some kind of aesthetic "model", hence no need for bigger genios since they do counterclockwise rotation.

Snackan1986

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »
Just want to add that there probably are several suitable surgeons, Arnett is probably one of them at least in my case. I am not saying he is the best because I have not even had surgery with him and can?t know what result I would get

If I decide to go on with surgery I will see a couple of more surgeons, but it?s not that easy when you have to go abroad to see them.

overbiter

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »

Okey, so that?s like my first surgery. Pretty much no advancement, bad bite and no improvement in aestethics. Even if the surgery was free of charge, the cost in reality is actually worse (redoing the surgery) I hope your surgeon is good and will do what is best for you. Have you put any pictures/x-rays/cephs on the site? - could be interesting to see :)

Just want to add that I have not yet decided for sure yet that i will go through with surgery but I think I want to do it, but I will take my decision during December. I will need braces again, hopefully not to long though

I don't have any x-rays/cephs, I'm not even sure what a ceph is really. I think I had one taken but I'm not sure. I saw the x-ray results when I was sitting in the dentists chair having moulds redone. No mention was made of me getting my own copies or anything. I could ask I suppose but I'm not sure I will bother. I have no idea what the surgical plan will be.

Avra68

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »
Greetings to all! Luckily I found recently this forum. I underwent 9 months ago under a double jaw surgery and a revision surgery. My first question, if anyone can help me, is related to a fact that a recently discovered  after I got my CBCT scans from the surgeon's offices: during my first double jaw surgery they fractured my right mandible ramus. I am attaching a photo so you can see. I never knew about this fracture. But also important is how they were able to fracture my mandible's ramus like this during my surgery? Any thoughts?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Snackan1986

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »
Greetings to all! Luckily I found recently this forum. I underwent 9 months ago under a double jaw surgery and a revision surgery. My first question, if anyone can help me, is related to a fact that a recently discovered  after I got my CBCT scans from the surgeon's offices: during my first double jaw surgery they fractured my right mandible ramus. I am attaching a photo so you can see. I never knew about this fracture. But also important is how they were able to fracture my mandible's ramus like this during my surgery? Any thoughts?

Strange it´s not possible to see the cut below the plate. I am just guessing now, but it could not be a massive amount of grafting material? - I don´t think I am right but if I am there is no fracture on your ramus. Did you have problems with your joints before the surgery? Was Gunson your surgeon?

Seems like you had a great result, perfect bite and seem to look really good - would be interesting to see before pics/x-rays/CBCT scans

Avra68

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
"Strange it´s not possible to see the cut below the plate. I am just guessing now, but it could not be a massive amount of grafting material? - I don´t think I am right but if I am there is no fracture on your ramus. Did you have problems with your joints before the surgery? Was Gunson your surgeon?

Seems like you had a great result, perfect bite and seem to look really good - would be interesting to see before pics/x-rays/CBCT scans"

Sorry to disappoint you, but that crack that you see on the ramus (vertical part of the mandible) is a fracture and it was confirmed by other doctors. My only surprise was how one can fracture that bone since it needs a lot of power applied. Also, from profile, the results might look good but frontal view and in real life, the surgery was a disaster (mouth twisted, no tooth show, no occlusion etc.) and I need another surgery to correct all these and to achieve the initial objectives that were never achieved. A CT/CBCT scan look doesn't necessarily match the real appearance that you get after surgery, so be careful if you will try to assess your future results based on how the CT scan looks like.  You might get negatively surprised, as I was.

However, I never had TMJ problems prior to surgery. I do not know who Gunson is. Is he a surgeon? Could you tell me about him? Unfortunately I cannot give you on a public forum the name of my surgeon, but if I knew what he will do on me I was never submitting myself to his "skills". And I would not recommend him either.

overbiter

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 02:55:44 PM »
"Strange it´s not possible to see the cut below the plate. I am just guessing now, but it could not be a massive amount of grafting material? - I don´t think I am right but if I am there is no fracture on your ramus. Did you have problems with your joints before the surgery? Was Gunson your surgeon?

Seems like you had a great result, perfect bite and seem to look really good - would be interesting to see before pics/x-rays/CBCT scans"

Sorry to disappoint you, but that crack that you see on the ramus (vertical part of the mandible) is a fracture and it was confirmed by other doctors. My only surprise was how one can fracture that bone since it needs a lot of power applied. Also, from profile, the results might look good but frontal view and in real life, the surgery was a disaster (mouth twisted, no tooth show, no occlusion etc.) and I need another surgery to correct all these and to achieve the initial objectives that were never achieved. A CT/CBCT scan look doesn't necessarily match the real appearance that you get after surgery, so be careful if you will try to assess your future results based on how the CT scan looks like.  You might get negatively surprised, as I was.

However, I never had TMJ problems prior to surgery. I do not know who Gunson is. Is he a surgeon? Could you tell me about him? Unfortunately I cannot give you on a public forum the name of my surgeon, but if I knew what he will do on me I was never submitting myself to his "skills". And I would not recommend him either.

Was your surgeon belgian by any chance?

Avra68

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »
"Was your surgeon belgian by any chance?"

Hi! My surgeon was not Belgian. It is a "great" NYU surgeon and Professor...blabla bla...Recently I found out from other doctors that what I couldn't see on CBCT scan is indeed MISSING! After he fractured my ramus during the first surgery, during the second surgery he removed the part that cannot be seen on the CBCT scan. I thought I was fainting when I heard what happened to me without knowing. This is mutilation. No occlusion, facial asymmetries acquired and now, the missing part of my jaw and my right condyle ou of its fossa . "Great job" at NYU Langone. All they care is the money. Extremely disappointed. I do not know who can fix me now. My surgeon at NYU Langone was Dr. Eduardo DeJesus Rodriguez. For more information you can visit my newly start webpage:
 http://failedorthognathicsurgeries.weebly.com/

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:36:25 AM by Avra68 »

Avra68

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 01:37:20 AM »
My original plan was LeFort I 3-piece for widening my maxillary, BSSO and genioplasty. Instead I got LeFort 1-piece; I found out this from my treating orthodontist in April. I did not need IVRO. My TMJs were healthy and well positioned. I never expected such "results" and now I am in constant pain in the roof of my mouth, on the right side of my skull and sometimes in my left ear, and I connot chew properly due to the acquired malocclusion. In fact, I found out about the missing bone too late, this summer, whereas my surgery took place last year. I cannot finish my orthodotia because I need another double jaw surgery. I hoped that I would find some advice on this forum and see how people dealt with such issues, or people who had my kind experience. I am looking for a medical solution. To the other questions that you posed: No one from the hospital wants to answer to me to my medical questions anymore. Pure silence. So, if anybody can help, I will be very glad. At this point, personal photos I cannot post for privacy reasons  but I can post pre-op CBCT scan image.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:09:51 AM by Avra68 »

chinnychinchin

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 02:32:07 PM »
You should really make a separate thread to bring attention to this and not piggyback on a thread whose subject line has nothing to do with your case. Just trying to be helpful :)

Dr. Gunson is Dr. Arnett's partner and they have a facial reconstruction/jaw surgery practice together in Santa Barbara and are pretty well known on this forum. This was also my surgeon as well. If there's any issues you're dealing with, I'm confident one of them will be able to help you out.

Avra68

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 04:27:19 AM »
Thanks for the good advise!

Avra68

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 04:38:40 AM »
UPDATES: My surgeon at NYU Langone was Dr. Eduardo DeJesus Rodriguez. For more information you can visit my newly start webpage:
 http://failedorthognathicsurgeries.weebly.com/