Author Topic: Opinion on Paul Johnson?  (Read 5038 times)

chickenchin

Opinion on Paul Johnson?
« on: August 02, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »
Thinking of having a simple genioplasty with him, i've done some reason on him and he seems to be very professional and knowledgeable however there is some controversial opinion about him on this forum as he messed up someones revision?

Fowler

Re: Opinion on Paul Johnson?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »
There have been some bad reviews on here but I have found some people have unrealistic goals and some people may actually have physiological problems.  Always have to take what people say on the internet with a pinch of salt.

He's one of the top surgeons at the Royal Surrey, Guildford and I'm sure you'd be happy with his work. I had to have 2 operations on my jaw on the NHS to remove bony growths from my jaw joint. He didn't perform the surgery but speaking with the surgeon that did, Mr Johnson is a very skilled surgeon.
Be worth having an appointment with him.

girl

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
Why are you "sure" people would be happy with his work when there are evidently people who aren't?

You have never had surgery with him so don't run before you can walk.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:12:42 AM »
I too had surgery by the "local best guy" - all the docs showered him with praise.  I copped massive nerve damage and a very ho-hum result overall.  All that matters is results (AFAIK, he shows none) and testimony and the few I've heard (and seen) point to him being a butcher.

girl

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 12:57:16 AM »
Yes. Doctors' interactions with their peers are very limited and usually take place within a specific context (brief departmental meeting or social convention).

It's possible for someone to be generally subpar yet give an impressive Powerpoint presentation from time to time, showing only their best outcomes and most erudite observations.

ollien18

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »
Yes there are bad reviews with Mr Johnson but unfortunately with the internet the really good results don't feel the need to go and make an account on jaw surgery forums and post their results, and so you get a very one sided picture.

Im booked to have lower jaw surgery with Mr Johnson next summer to correct a crooked jaw and skewed bite (7mm). My decision to use him wasn't just based on the 2 bad results i found here (One i believe a revision, and the other a maxillary impaction that resulted in a lack of tooth being shown due to being overly impacted), but really because i actually know a girl from university who had double jaw surgery with him for a severely crooked underbite, and her results were the best results i've actually seen.

I must admit though if i had needed upper and lower done i would probably have just left the surgery and lived with it as from what i can see upper jaw surgery is really where things can go wrong.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »
You're quite right - maxillary surgery is where things so often go wrong aesthetically even as it's the safest surgery in terms of nerve damage.  WRT happy patients just moving on... Have a look at the Facebook group.  It's full of results.  Many happy people, yet so many look off - cants, misaligned midlines, tooth show, asymmetry, teeth not quite coming together, yet they are happy.  (I do think the Stockholm effect wears off after some time for many.)  Maybe the surgeon doesn't matter all that much and jaw surgery is just a crap shoot.

girl

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 03:27:36 AM »
I've also noticed that Stockholm effect. Which Facebook group is this?

Also interested in why maxilliary surgery tends to be riskier aesthetically.

If you know a person with a good result who has a very similar case to you, then the 2 bad reviews are less relevant. But underbite surgery is generally the most gratifying esp if it's severe. If you just have a crooked jaw/crossbite then you might not benefit from what that same surgeon can offer.

ollien18

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »

Also interested in why maxilliary surgery tends to be riskier aesthetically.

My understanding is that the maxilla is essentially the foundation for the facial structure where as the mandible is more the outline. Facial proportions (such as facial height) cant really be changed without change being made to the maxilla which leaves more margin for error aesthetically .

I've also seen how advancement of the maxilla can really change the way appearance of the soft tissue on the face - i saw one case where by an individual advanced the maxilla slightly too far and by doing so pretty much lost the appearance of her cheekbones   :o

girl

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
Thanks for your answer, makes a lot of sense.