Author Topic: Question for those who had surgery  (Read 3372 times)

Throwaway88

Question for those who had surgery
« on: August 04, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »
Hello I'm new. I wanted to ask people who have had jaw surgery and had time to settle in, was the jaw surgery worth it? Has the quality of your life improved? I dont mean functionally, but in terms of confidence and mental health? I have already consulted an oral max/facial surgeon and he said I am a candidate for double jaw surgery but functionally im fine. I just hate the way I look cause I have a gummy smile and long face. He said that the quality of life improves after jaw surgery and thats really what I want. I don't have much self confidence cause I dont like smiling. Please if experienced people (particularly with maxillary impaction) have any input or feedback it would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Bowie

Re: Question for those who had surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »
Yes quality of life improved, although the surgery made some pre existing functional problems worse.
You say you have a gummy smile, people with long maxillas will certainly look and feel better after impaction, no question.

People who's bites are ok but just want the jaws more forward ehh I don't know, I realized that jaw surgery doesn't do that much for aesthetics in that case and I have spoken to others that said the same.

Throwaway88

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »
Yes quality of life improved, although the surgery made some pre existing functional problems worse.
You say you have a gummy smile, people with long maxillas will certainly look and feel better after impaction, no question.

People who's bites are ok but just want the jaws more forward ehh I don't know, I realized that jaw surgery doesn't do that much for aesthetics in that case and I have spoken to others that said the same.
thanks so much for that

skullremodel

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »

This is my biggest concern. I have a good bite and actually only had orthodontics for a year back when I did have the work done. I'm worried the outcome will not be what i want and the aesthetic benefit marginal. However, getting it done and then another procedure on top may make it even better? Like a rhinoplasty on top of a bimax rather than the rhinoplasty alone.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »
There are obviously recessed folks who have normal bites.

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »
I think a lot of people on here are expecting drastic aesthetic changes and this is more of a beauty forum, than functional reasons. However in my case, I saw a DRASTIC change in function. I had a 10 mm overbite, I could stick my thumb in between my upper and lower teeth at rest, and it possibly went to 15mm sitting down. Food fell out my mouth, I was chewing on the wrong teeth thus wearing it down, trouble speaking. I can now chew food properly. I'm still waiting for the 2nd part of my surgery to happen, as the surgeon gave up on me and didn't finish the operation.
The more skeletal change that happens, the more pleasing the aesthetic result will be.

ppsk

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »
it fixed what bothered me about my face. In that sense it was worth it.

People who think they are going to have major aesthetic transformations and look like male models are in for a rude surprise. Thats not just true of jaw surgery specifically, its true of surgery in general.

Bowie

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 11:52:23 AM »

People who think they are going to have major aesthetic transformations and look like male models are in for a rude surprise. Thats not just true of jaw surgery specifically, its true of surgery in general.

This

Throwaway88

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »

yea i realize that but i feel like people who have vertical maxillary excess have the most changes right? anyone that has a gummy smile knows how self conscious it can make them feel

Milli_Meters

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
Also depends on one's starting point http://imgur.com/cZlCBO9 ie how bad it is.

katapult2

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »

Are that you?

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 02:51:36 PM »

I think this is part of the problem. I am sure that guy had good results but there are sooooo many confounding factors making his appearance on the right look better than the one on the left, not just the surgery. Before and afters like that give people unrealistic expectations imo.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »

Milli_Meters

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »
I think this is part of the problem. I am sure that guy had good results but there are sooooo many confounding factors making his appearance on the right look better than the one on the left, not just the surgery. Before and afters like that give people unrealistic expectations imo.

What factors? The tan and hair? I knew this guy. No tanning or hair could have done for him what Jaw surgery did.

Having said that , yeah that is a very good result and not the norm.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
What factors? The tan and hair? I knew this guy. No tanning or hair could have done for him what Jaw surgery did.

Having said that , yeah that is a very good result and not the norm.

tan, hair, glasses, angle, lighting, full face picture vs black bar, pose, shirt vs shirtless, background. Literally everything about the after photo is made to make him look as good as possible.