Author Topic: ANYONE TRY THE DNA APPLIANCE??? CAN IT BE WORN AFTER BRACES TAKEN OFF?  (Read 1229 times)

Lazlo

• Private

Lefortitude

The dudes claims seemed wild and turned me off.  I think maxillary expansion in adults is a difficult bet overall. 

Have you herd of micro implant assisted maxillary expansion? Its being done at UCLA Ortho.  Seems very promising!

tjarrr

Yeah, I think the DNA appliance is dubious without any research or trials backing it up.

Actually a lot has been written since at least the 80s about how significant maxillary expansion is possible in adults even after age 25, but this is only because degree of suture fusion varies more than was once thought. So if your sutures haven't fused then you can achieve expansion. However other orthodontists have written extensively about how the suture can re-open under pressure from a palatal expander  so there's that possibility too. It should re-open after a week and this can be determined using X-rays; however if it does not open after a week the appliance is removed and you are thought to not be able to achieve any further maxillary expansion without surgery. Even though the goal with palatal expansion is width, it has been observed that palatal expansion causes the maxilla to advance forward as well. No one has an explanation for that phenomenon other than chalking it up to force. I don't have the articles on hand but message me if you might like them and I can try to scrounge them up for you; they were heavily cited so they shouldn't be too hard to find. However I don't think most orthodontists will even attempt palatal expansion on an adult so you'd have to go to a doctor who really believes in it.

Thanks, Lefortitude, for your info as well!

earl25

i have  used the dna and alf. in terms of looks improvement i dont see any. they did help my sleep tremendously. keep in mind tho that i have plates from surgery so that "might be" why i didnt get an looks improvement from them

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
Re: ANYONE TRY THE DNA APPLIANCE??? CAN IT BE WORN AFTER BRACES TAKEN OFF?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:12:11 AM »
i have  used the dna and alf. in terms of looks improvement i dont see any. they did help my sleep tremendously. keep in mind tho that i have plates from surgery so that "might be" why i didnt get an looks improvement from them

When you say it helped your sleep what do you mean?  Does the DNA & ALF help with sleep apena?   
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

earl25

Re: ANYONE TRY THE DNA APPLIANCE??? CAN IT BE WORN AFTER BRACES TAKEN OFF?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
Yes borh devices are meant to help with apnea