Author Topic: Surgery planning - 3D planning and what should I have done.  (Read 548 times)

Salemare

Surgery planning - 3D planning and what should I have done.
« on: April 18, 2023, 12:34:03 PM »
Hi All,

I am a bit confused about surgical planning. I have a class II 1cm overbite which I started the process of being treated under the Italian national health. I have had 7 extractions (due to have one more total 8) and been wearing braces for about 3 years and according to my orthodontist will soon be ready for surgery. The process has been slow partly due to covid and personal reasons but also slow progress with my teeth moving.

I had mentioned this briefly in a previous post and the general consensus was that I need to look elsewhere due to the lack of planning. I have been looking at alternative options such as part private funding which we can do in Italy, but one thing I find confusing is the planning aspect.  I see both surgeons and orthodontists referring to 3d surgical planning,  3D CBCT scans, intraoral scanners, digital smile design and wondering what is the critical stuff that I should be getting done and what is a "nice to have".

How closely should the orthodontists and surgeons typically be working together in respect of this digital planning? I have seen posts with people referring to plans with various measurement tables as well as very specific details and terminology.

On my most recent visit to a private surgeon, he did not seem too impressed with position of my teeth saying my front teeth have gone from beingtoo far forward to too far back for him to carry out surgery, which concerns me that my orthodontist also doesnt know what he is doing.

I have mouth imprints, laternal ceph and a physical OPG x-ray.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:13:57 PM by Salemare »

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Surgery planning - 3D planning and what should I have done.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 01:26:37 PM »
That sounds like haphazard planning and communication. You might want to take a step back and even get another opinion. They should be in close communication and able to execute the pre-op movement of teeth.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Salemare

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 10:57:10 AM »
Hi Gj,

Thanks, I am indeed doing that at the moment.

To get some thoughts or opinions, is it worth me posting the limited x-rays and images I have?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 11:16:28 AM by Salemare »

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 01:15:12 PM »
To get some thoughts or opinions, is it worth me posting the limited x-rays and images I have?

It can't hurt. If we can't draw any opinions from them, we'll just say so.
Millimeters are miles on the face.