Author Topic: Iliac crest/hipbone graft scar (after chinwing)  (Read 2563 times)

hadmysurgery

Iliac crest/hipbone graft scar (after chinwing)
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:54:15 AM »
I'd like to know if more people here had a graft taken from the iliac crest, and what their scar looks like.

I had a graft taken for the chingwing and I'm heading for the 5th month after surgery and the scar looks unsightly to me. I understand the redness should turn white ultimately, but I'm concerned about how wide the scar is.
Perhaps 3,5-4 weeks after surgery I contacted the surgeon since they put in an absorbable suture and the suture did not absorb: not in the slightest bit. So my body spit out part of it after 3,5-4 weeks and about 4(?) weeks after surgery I still had to pull the rest of this absorbable suture out completely (my surgeon advised me to do so). Because of the inflammation the suture caused, the scar looked raw, red, bumpy. And now it looks very wide. I'm disappointed as I went to one of the top docs, paid heaps of money, and I don't understand the problems I've been running into.

Would anyone that had a graft from the iliac crest want to perhaps post a picture of it? I can do the same thing but I'd want to compare what it looks like.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:18:35 AM by hadmysurgery »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Iliac crest/hipbone graft scar (after chinwing)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:31:37 AM »
I'd like to know if more people here had a graft taken from the iliac crest, and what their scar looks like.

I had a graft taken for the chingwing and I'm heading for the 5th month after surgery and the scar looks unsightly to me. I understand the redness should turn white ultimately, but I'm concerned about how wide the scar is.
Perhaps 3,5-4 weeks after surgery I contacted the surgeon since they put in an absorbable suture and the suture did not absorb: not in the slightest bit. So my body spit out part of it after 3,5-4 weeks and about 4(?) weeks after surgery I still had to pull the rest of this absorbable suture out completely (my surgeon advised me to do so). Because of the inflammation the suture caused, the scar looked raw, red, bumpy. And now it looks very wide. I'm disappointed as I went to one of the top docs, paid heaps of money, and I don't understand the problems I've been running into.

Would anyone that had a graft from the iliac crest want to perhaps post a picture of it? I can do the same thing but I'd want to compare what it looks like.

almost certain many many more people have these complications. its very helpful youre detailing this stuff to help people know the risks. i'm almost certain all these swiss and german doctors are complete f**king criminals. i mean most suck in america too, but because of litigiousness and the predominance of their online reputations their a bit more careful.

as I said before, this is a medieval f**king science. nowhere near any level of sophistication. in twenty years surgery as it is practiced now will be f**king uncrecognizable.

hadmysurgery

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 02:46:22 AM »
It's funny that each time I make a post to ask a question about a concern I have after chinwing surgery (and believe me: after paying all I did this is disappointing and not fun), I get a downvote.
What is this about??

ppsk

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 02:50:42 AM »

I imagine the scarring is normal although yours is probably more pronounced due to the inflammation you have suffered.

ppsk

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:52:01 AM »
It's funny that each time I make a post to ask a question about a concern I have after chinwing surgery (and believe me: after paying all I did this is disappointing and not fun), I get a downvote.
What is this about??

I didnt even realize there was a voting/downvoting system tbh. I wouldnt worry about it, but we do have a few posters/quite a few lurkers here who only want to hear about surgical miracles, they never want to hear about complications or surgery delivering poor results.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 02:52:49 AM »
What is this about??
Just upvoted you.  You really have my sympathy.  I can't say "I know what you're going through" because I've not had a chin wing, but I had complications myself from another kind of surgery and this stuff sucks.  My surgeon too gave me the run-around.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:55:38 AM »
I didnt even realize there was a voting/downvoting system tbh. I wouldnt worry about it, but we do have a few posters/quite a few lurkers here who only want to hear about surgical miracles, they never want to hear about complications or surgery delivering poor results.
There are some guys (girls too... maybe), who are just complete and utter fantasists.  They've never had surgery and probably never will.  They sure do have opinions.

ppsk

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:58:43 AM »
Thumbs up, thank you PPSK! Great that you posted a picture! I will do the same thing.

How long after surgery are you? I'm really a bit worried about my scar now. I will post a picture but need to take it first.

oh thats not my picture, its just one i pulled from googling iliac crest graft scar

Milli_Meters

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 04:15:27 AM »

So I have been upvoting you in vain? :P

I am sorry too OP.  But in all fairness I personally have doubts about your "best surgeon" for CW. Also I know currently 4 users here who all had chin wing (none with your surgeon) and they seem to be content/complication free thus far. One hasnt responded to me in a while I hope hes still good.

Freeways

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 05:31:39 AM »
Mine 3 months post-op: http://imgur.com/Jx8mVYd

I don't care about it all, having a weak chin is a million times worse. The pain after surgery, however, that was bad...

David_D

• Private
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »
Just thought I'd add that I think silicone sheeting can be effective at improving the appearance of scars: https://www.rejuveness.com

hadmysurgery

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 05:55:21 AM »
Thanks for posting that Freeway.

Perhaps I'm worried about nothing and this is just how it normally looks? I would have hoped it would look a bit better but perhaps I was hoping for too much. As said I'm heading for the 5th month.

http://imgur.com/d7JlIoE

http://imgur.com/a/LSOUw

I think though that Freeways scar will just heal as a fine line with some normal stitch marks. If you look at my second pic you can see that in my case the skin is not on the same level anymore. There was just complete inflammation and the 'absorbable' suture was spit out. I'm also more than 1-1,5 months out of surgery than Freeway is, so 1-1,5 months further in healing.
But perhaps this is as good as you can expect such a scar to be?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:27:01 AM by hadmysurgery »

hadmysurgery

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 05:56:21 AM »
Just thought I'd add that I think silicone sheeting can be effective at improving the appearance of scars: https://www.rejuveness.com

Thanks for that!

boyo

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »
I do have a far uglier hip scar then you after CW so i think yours turning out pretty good.