Author Topic: infected again  (Read 22074 times)

Milli_Meters

Re: infected again
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »
Really? So it was because the rough surface of the implant kept on abrasing against the (muscle?) and overtime caused cancer? HA could do the same.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/14/health/breast-implants-cancer.html?mcubz=3

Tiny portion of millions of women , keep that in mind.

Bowie

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »
"Texturing may cause inflammation that leads to cancer. If detected early, the lymphoma is often curable."
F#*!k so the same will apply to medpor, cartilage, HA paste... Oh man  :-\

Milli_Meters

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »
Nearly all the cases have been linked to implants with a textured or slightly roughened surface, rather than a smooth covering. Texturing may cause inflammation that leads to cancer. If detected early, the lymphoma is often curable.

Just get s**t with smooth surfaces? But I guess HA granules are by definition "rough" ?

ditterbo

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2017, 12:27:51 PM »
"Texturing may cause inflammation that leads to cancer. If detected early, the lymphoma is often curable."
F#*!k so the same will apply to medpor, cartilage, HA paste... Oh man  :-\

But not silicone?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2017, 01:38:02 PM »
The risk of infection starts when a periodontal pathogen gets released (from the teeth) into the mouth cut. Risks are lowered with a good cleaning 3 months prior and meticulous dental hygeine prior to surgery and more so than 'normal'. So, decreasing risk, starts there.

On the day of surgery, a patient should be instructed to self clean the mouth (brush teeth and disinfect mouth wash) soon before it while at facility where surgery is to be performed. After that, right before the cut, the doctor should lavage the mouth with more anti-septics, like while one is on the table.

My readings/research on infection risks with porex implants is LESS than 5%. So, 10% chance seems pretty high to me. However, the 10% could reflect that observed in the clinical practice who cited that figure. Still seems high to me and enough so NOT to place implants in at the SAME time as a cut to the bone area because if there is infection to implant AND a cut bone area, risks of infection would tend to get higher to the bone cut areas .

Keep in mind that even if just bone cut and no implant, having no implant does not preclude infection. Although if infection and no implant, the chances are better of the infection clearing with no implant placed at same time as bone cut area.

Then there is factor of pore size of implant. I forget the micron size but it's like this. A phagocyte is LARGER than an unwanted bacteria. (Phagocytes are cells that protect the body by ingesting (phagocytosing) harmful foreign particles, bacteria, and dead or dying cells.) So, the pore size must not be that small so only the bad bacteria can get in but not the phagocytes to ingest (protect against infection).

Probably best to get them out ASAP to lower chances of infection spreading to bone.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
no, the infection rate is quite high relatively for medpor this particular area (20%), I'm just one of the unlucky ones.

If that's the infection rate, then he's putting you at risk to put in the implants at same time as bone cuts.

To the best of my knowledge 20% isn't the infection rate of the docs known for doing (off the shelf) jaw implants (porex). More like it, it's the rate of people not liking the look of them.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
Really? So it was because the rough surface of the implant kept on abrasing against the (muscle?) and overtime caused cancer? HA could do the same.
Well one max fac told me "muscle wants to be next to bone" and didn't elaborate any further except that he did implants only for trauma reconstruction when all other options were exhausted.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2017, 04:18:41 PM »
The risk of infection starts when a periodontal pathogen gets released (from the teeth) into the mouth cut. Risks are lowered with a good cleaning 3 months prior and meticulous dental hygeine prior to surgery and more so than 'normal'. So, decreasing risk, starts there.

On the day of surgery, a patient should be instructed to self clean the mouth (brush teeth and disinfect mouth wash) soon before it while at facility where surgery is to be performed. After that, right before the cut, the doctor should lavage the mouth with more anti-septics, like while one is on the table.

My readings/research on infection risks with porex implants is LESS than 5%. So, 10% chance seems pretty high to me. However, the 10% could reflect that observed in the clinical practice who cited that figure. Still seems high to me and enough so NOT to place implants in at the SAME time as a cut to the bone area because if there is infection to implant AND a cut bone area, risks of infection would tend to get higher to the bone cut areas .

Keep in mind that even if just bone cut and no implant, having no implant does not preclude infection. Although if infection and no implant, the chances are better of the infection clearing with no implant placed at same time as bone cut area.

Then there is factor of pore size of implant. I forget the micron size but it's like this. A phagocyte is LARGER than an unwanted bacteria. (Phagocytes are cells that protect the body by ingesting (phagocytosing) harmful foreign particles, bacteria, and dead or dying cells.) So, the pore size must not be that small so only the bad bacteria can get in but not the phagocytes to ingest (protect against infection).

Probably best to get them out ASAP to lower chances of infection spreading to bone.
Thanks for posting this.  FWIW, I've also been told that implants should not be done at the same time as orthognathic surgery due to higher infection risk.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  FWIW, I've also been told that implants should not be done at the same time as orthognathic surgery due to higher infection risk.

Glad to be of help. Best to wait up to a year after the jaw cuts for implant overlay.

ppsk

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2017, 11:22:55 PM »
If that's the infection rate, then he's putting you at risk to put in the implants at same time as bone cuts.

To the best of my knowledge 20% isn't the infection rate of the docs known for doing (off the shelf) jaw implants (porex). More like it, it's the rate of people not liking the look of them.

Thats his clinical experience - 20% for medpor in that specific region, 10% of which resolved with antibiotics, other 10% necessitated removal. Another user relayed to me a Canadian maxfac similarly warned of a relatively high rate of infection for jaw angle medpor in his experience - 15%. Nothing to do with revision due to aesthetic concerns.

I'm not sure why this region would have a higher incidence of infection, but I guess it has something to do with the anatomy of the area.

ppsk

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2017, 11:25:41 PM »
what I want to know is, is there any chance that a sufficiently strong AB course with a long enough duration could actually clear this infection up permanently, or am I just better off pursuing removal ASAP?

UKMaxfac

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »

Are any of your posts not doom and gloom, or ideas that are too late to implement because the person in question already got surgery?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »
Are any of your posts not doom and gloom, or ideas that are too late to implement because the person in question already got surgery?

Nothing 'too late' about giving people a heads up on infection risks associated with implants at the same time as jaw cuts.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »
Thats his clinical experience - 20% for medpor in that specific region, 10% of which resolved with antibiotics, other 10% necessitated removal. Another user relayed to me a Canadian maxfac similarly warned of a relatively high rate of infection for jaw angle medpor in his experience - 15%. Nothing to do with revision due to aesthetic concerns.

I'm not sure why this region would have a higher incidence of infection, but I guess it has something to do with the anatomy of the area.

If 20% infection rate for medpore is his clinical experience, then he has subjected you to a HIGH RISK of bone infection by doing bone cuts at same time as the implant. The US docs with more experience putting in those types of implants don't have those high rates which is why I thought the rate concerned people not liking the  'look' of the implants.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
what I want to know is, is there any chance that a sufficiently strong AB course with a long enough duration could actually clear this infection up permanently, or am I just better off pursuing removal ASAP?

It's probably more possible with direct lavage to the infected area. But you report your GP doesn't do that.  Does Marianetti have an associate in your geo local to assist and/or can he intercede for you by giving a directive to another doctor as to how to proceed?