Author Topic: infected again  (Read 21690 times)

ppsk

infected again
« on: August 16, 2017, 01:16:26 AM »
my infection is back, exact same spot, same beginnings.

Sucks, really thought i was out of the woods. Looks like it might be the medpor that is infected after all. I'll go to the GP tomorrow and get a course of antibiotics, start scheduling to consult a surgeon about removal. I do know there are people who have done multiple courses of antibiotics and sometimes never have another infection, but personally I'm at a point where I feel like the aesthetic contribution the medpor makes isnt that significant and I'd rather not have to live with the risk factor.

The surgeon I'm going to consult with does PEEK customs, so I'll have a look, but unless I feel like he can deliver on something that is actually a significant improvement, i wont bother and will just get removal alone.

Bowie

Re: infected again
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:26:59 AM »
Was it jaw implants? What symptoms did you have that made you know it was infected?

ppsk

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:57:50 AM »
Was it jaw implants? What symptoms did you have that made you know it was infected?

yes medpor jaw angle implants

starts off with a strange sensation in the area, when pressed on almost feels like a numb nerve, then within 24 hours progresses to swelling and light pain when touched.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:15:08 AM »
Sorry to hear this. From what I know about medpor, you may have to move fast before it becomes too hard to remove.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 03:28:08 AM »
Really sucks :(

I hope the removal goes smoothly.

ppsk

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:33:30 AM »
does anyone know whats the minimum time that plates can be safely removed?

I figure i might as well get them removed at the same time

CCW

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:52:58 AM »
does anyone know whats the minimum time that plates can be safely removed?

I figure i might as well get them removed at the same time
One year.

ditterbo

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
One year.

I've definitely heard less than that. Maybe Lazlo or one of the other guys who've had them removed can speak up. If I had to try from memory, I'd say about 3 months. That's really too bad to hear about the jaw implants.  Off the shelf designs for jaw angles typically don't seem to help people much.  The doc's show great before/after's but many times it doesn't work out that way.  My skin's fairly thin and I'm thin, whereas someone with a chubbier looking jaw/neck area maybe won't see as much.  Then there's the angle of the implants, the bone, etc.. clusterf of things to account for that most docs just don't. 

Milli_Meters

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 04:18:37 PM »
I know someone who is having plates removed after 7 months.

ppsk

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:00:17 AM »
actually taking a look at my xrays... it looks like it could be a screw that is infected. The swelling is in that area but the pain isnt when i press on the implant its a little bit forward of it and underneath....

man i dont know.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:23:57 AM »
I would not remove the plates until at least 6 months - you risk non union and relapse otherwise.

UKMaxfac

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 04:20:04 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Would you go back to Marianetti?

ppsk

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 05:29:30 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Would you go back to Marianetti?

of course, he didn't do anything wrong, i'm just one of the unlucky 10% it looks like.

UKMaxfac

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 06:26:30 AM »
of course, he didn't do anything wrong, i'm just one of the unlucky 10% it looks like.

I meant to remove them. But I guess you live in Aus so it's a pain in the ass flying back and forth!

ppsk

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 06:31:21 AM »
I meant to remove them. But I guess you live in Aus so it's a pain in the ass flying back and forth!

oh yeah, no I wont bother flying back just for removal, I'll try to find someone locally. If anyone has any recommendations on that front, I'd appreciate it.