Author Topic: infected again  (Read 21692 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: infected again
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 03:11:14 AM »
oh yeah, no I wont bother flying back just for removal, I'll try to find someone locally. If anyone has any recommendations on that front, I'd appreciate it.
Australian surgeons typically tell you "go back to your surgeon".  Time is of the essence.  It may take as long as 4 weeks to get an appointment with one, and the best surgeon to remove them is the one who put them in. 

ppsk

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
so an update

I got prescribed Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid which is the same thing i had post-op (augmentin), but not as strong as the antibiotics Dr M put me on when i got infected at week 5... anyway, infection cleared up within a few days... few weeks later, I'm infected AGAIN, but on the opposite side this time.

I was just starting to really like the results too, I had underestimated the residual swelling from the bimax in the cheeks which was "blurring" the results for lack of a better description. I did a lot of reading about infected facial implants, the literature suggests that if medpor gets infected early post-op, removal is really the only treatment that works.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 11:00:50 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that. Although I don't know if this is possible, but is there any way they can inject the ABs directly into the infected area? I suspect a dental (periodontal) pathogen may have been released to infect the area. The other ABs for those types of pathogens is clindamycin.

There are a number of 'red zone' (bad) periodontal pathogens that can be released during dental work and of course surgery through the mouth. Some of them get killed by some ABs. Others to different ABs.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ppsk

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that. Although I don't know if this is possible, but is there any way they can inject the ABs directly into the infected area? I suspect a dental (periodontal) pathogen may have been released to infect the area. The other ABs for those types of pathogens is clindamycin.

There are a number of 'red zone' (bad) periodontal pathogens that can be released during dental work and of course surgery through the mouth. Some of them get killed by some ABs. Others to different ABs.

I imagine you could but I dare say my GP won't do that. I'll ask him to put me on a stronger AB (which is what i wanted in the first place, but he insisted on trying out this ab first).

Bowie

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
Oh man that really sucks now that you are liking the result. A guy's jaw implants got infected from Sailer and he injected whatever antibiotic it was into the implant area I think. Are you in UK? Maybe try and see a plastic surgeon or maxillofacial surgeon here and ask if they can do that.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
I'm not a doctor, so this is strictly IMO... Cycling antibiotics long term is a bad idea. You will wreck your stomach.

ppsk

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 11:14:52 PM »
I'm not a doctor, so this is strictly IMO... Cycling antibiotics long term is a bad idea. You will wreck your stomach.

It is, but I don't have much choice at the moment.

Lestat

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 11:54:13 PM »
It is, but I don't have much choice at the moment.

And the infection then disappears? And later she reappears?? Or is she completely cured?

ppsk

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 01:32:18 AM »
And the infection then disappears? And later she reappears?? Or is she completely cured?

infection seems to respond to antibiotics but always comes back eventually after antibiotics are ceased.

The initial infection i had was on the left side and the same spot again a few weeks later, now this time its on the right side.

Lestat

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 01:56:31 AM »
infection seems to respond to antibiotics but always comes back eventually after antibiotics are ceased.

The initial infection i had was on the left side and the same spot again a few weeks later, now this time its on the right side.

Omg that sucks. But if the infection is on both sides, it means that the surgeon has been sloppy, or what do you think?

ppsk

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 01:58:38 AM »
Omg that sucks. But if the infection is on both sides, it means that the surgeon has been sloppy, or what do you think?

no, the infection rate is quite high relatively for medpor this particular area (20%), I'm just one of the unlucky ones.

Lestat

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 02:13:46 AM »
no, the infection rate is quite high relatively for medpor this particular area (20%), I'm just one of the unlucky ones.

But you got infected on both sides. Is it normal that the infection spreads from one side to the other?

I think 20% risk of infection is exaggerated. Did your surgeon tell you that?

Lestat

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 02:25:27 AM »
If I hate something then it is an infection. >:(
I am really very sorry for you.
Precisely for this reason i prefer chin wing over medpor implants!

At least it seems that you concentrate on the essential things and stay even in stressful situations calm which is priceless for the surgical business.

I cant express myself verbally in english. I think thats why i got banned two times.

boyo

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 03:41:22 AM »
I got an huge and painfull infection post-op with chin wing so you're not safe with going with your own bone. fortunately it cleared up after going on heavy antibiotics. So will yours too i'm sure.

MyTimeIsNow

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 03:56:31 AM »
I got an huge and painfull infection post-op with chin wing so you're not safe with going with your own bone. fortunately it cleared up after going on heavy antibiotics. So will yours too i'm sure.

Were you otherwise happy with chin wing?