Author Topic: infected again  (Read 21711 times)

ppsk

Re: infected again
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 03:59:52 AM »
But you got infected on both sides. Is it normal that the infection spreads from one side to the other?

I think 20% risk of infection is exaggerated. Did your surgeon tell you that?

yes. Another user on here told me a prominent maxfac also told them a similar number (>15%). This is specifically for medpor in the jaw angle region.

So I don't think its exaggerated. Rather, you are being shocked by the frank admission of clinical experience vs what is claimed in the literature, figures which are unreliable for various reasons.

Lestat

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 04:13:13 AM »
I got an huge and painfull infection post-op with chin wing so you're not safe with going with your own bone. fortunately it cleared up after going on heavy antibiotics. So will yours too i'm sure.

Yes but am i right that with using your own bone the infection at least didn't return whereas with medpor implants you have to remove the material?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 04:13:39 AM »
The thing with implants or any foreign body is that I suspect they produce low grade inflammation long term. And now it's almost official that that's the biggest contributor to poor cardiovascular health (not cholesterol - that's old hat).

Lestat

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 04:19:03 AM »
That's because medpor and all these foreign materials are not inert.

Bowie

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 04:21:14 AM »
The thing with implants or any foreign body is that I suspect they produce low grade inflammation long term. And now it's almost official that that's the biggest contributor to poor cardiovascular health (not cholesterol - that's old hat).
Crap that's scary and I can well believe it,  I have medpor in my nose, the screws and plates could also be causing inflammation.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 04:21:57 AM »
That's because medpor and all these foreign materials are not inert.
I hope that's not the case with metal plates.

Lestat

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 04:26:59 AM »
I hope that's not the case with metal plates.

No thats not the case with metal place. They are also very small. Also it isnt the case with ha f.e. since it is very natural and it is very unlikely that it will ever become infected. And if for some reason it were to get infected, it can be effectively treated with oral antibiotics.

Bowie

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2017, 04:31:15 AM »
No thats not the case with metal place. They are also very small. Also it isnt the case with ha f.e. since it is very natural and it is very unlikely that it will ever become infected. And if for some reason it were to get infected, it can be effectively treated with oral antibiotics.
How do we know plates aren't causing some kind of inflammation, why wouldn't they?

Lestat

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 04:34:11 AM »
How do we know plates aren't causing some kind of inflammation, why wouldn't they?

What i have heard is titanium is well tolerated by the body.

Bowie

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 04:36:41 AM »
What i have heard is titanium is well tolerated by the body.
Yeah but it wouldn't surprise me if they cause at least minute inflammation.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
 Bowie u drink like a fish and are concerned about minute inflammation from an implant.

Just f**kin LOL.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2017, 09:50:07 AM »
FWIW https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15220596

If implants cause auto immune issues the best bet imo may be to look at what silicone breast implants cause as they have been around for a while now and used extensively.

There was some issue I vaguely recall . Some kinda rare cancer but that was due to the surface of the implants having granules or something.

Bowie

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
Bowie u drink like a fish and are concerned about minute inflammation from an implant.

Just f**kin LOL.
😂 LOL  But for all I know inflammation is causing all the muscle issues in my face.

Bowie

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2017, 09:57:49 AM »
FWIW https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15220596

If implants cause auto immune issues the best bet imo may be to look at what silicone breast implants cause as they have been around for a while now and used extensively.

There was some issue I vaguely recall . Some kinda rare cancer but that was due to the surface of the implants having granules or something.
Really? So it was because the rough surface of the implant kept on abrasing against the (muscle?) and overtime caused cancer? HA could do the same.

earl25

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2017, 09:59:32 AM »
Someone on missj forum had an injected cheek implant, the doctor (who retired ) injected antobiotic right onto the implant.  He said it was painful but worked