Author Topic: Sleep apnea move both jaw forward or just one?  (Read 2426 times)

Benjaminh

Sleep apnea move both jaw forward or just one?
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »
So I have sleep apnea and sometimes I feel like I have to breath harder then usual to get some air. I know that I really suck at blowing air out as well. The main reason for my surgery is my underbite/TMJ which will move my upper jaw forward forward 6MM and a 2mm Impaction. The thing is my airway is kinda narrow all around but my lower jaw is already pushing my lower lip out forward quite a bit so its hard to move it anymore then 2mm. Should I do this or will it not make a difference?

Thanks

JawKid7

Re: Sleep apnea move both jaw forward or just one?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 04:41:32 AM »
I also had upper jaw advancement with 2mm impaction. If you have an underbite I doubt they will want to move the lower jaw forward, probably backwards which isn't going to help sleep apnea. Get the upper jaw advancement with an impaction
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

mike888miller

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 02:35:48 PM »
if you really want to get an awnser and not something like what was written above which frankly makes my brain hurt, then you need to offer some more detail, for example before and after pics, your cts, etc. your question is so shockingly basic, i am not sure if you are trolling or what, but i cant believe someone is actually planning to undergo a life altering surgery and ask such a question about it.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »
Moving both jaws forward in a class iii is not unheard of.

JawKid7

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:42:50 AM »
if you really want to get an awnser and not something like what was written above which frankly makes my brain hurt, then you need to offer some more detail, for example before and after pics, your cts, etc. your question is so shockingly basic, i am not sure if you are trolling or what, but i cant believe someone is actually planning to undergo a life altering surgery and ask such a question about it.

I think you need to learn how to spell and if you have nothing to contribute then don't post at all
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
They might have to reduce your chin if forward advancement of jaw for airway would look 'off'.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 01:28:50 PM »
They might have to reduce your chin if forward advancement of jaw for airway would look 'off'.
Yeah OP's chin throat length looks good to me and the chin is solid.

Benjaminh

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
Here's an image. Could you guys help me understand this?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »
In both diagrams, you can see the underbite. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the color coding in those types of diagrams is constant such as green=good, yellow=OK, red=problem area.

So, in the first diagram, it is conveying that the red areas are the areas needing more space and are the problem areas. They show a line passing through the most narrow area of the airway which is minimal axial area of 102 square mm.

The second diagram is a transposition of the airway onto your '3d' jaw scan. On that diagram they note VOLUME of airway (mm cubed) and repeat the area measures.

So, what they are looking at is how much they would have to move your lower jaw forward to increase (red) airway for better breathing. To do so, they have to balance how much to move your upper jaw.

Since the second diagram is a single shot of a '3D' computer assisted planning software and refers to your 'NOW' status, they will be using the soft ware to try out different combos of movements. They will be using it to plan a surgery. That is to say, neither of the diagrams are in themselves, plans or proposals for what they are going to do. Instead they constitute information used in the planning.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.