Author Topic: What are the aesthetic effects of SARPE?  (Read 4347 times)

dervyx

What are the aesthetic effects of SARPE?
« on: September 03, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
I need to put myself through surgical palate expansion to fix my slight overbite and I'm wondering how would 8mm expansion affect my face?

My cheeks are quite hollow at the moment due to low submalar fat storage. Could widening of the upper jaw possibly make my hollow cheeks look fuller and less visible due to wider palate pushing up against soft tissue?

My surgeon said the only difference would be the area underneath the nose looking fuller and possibly some nose widening but some people mention their cheekbones become more prominent which doesn't really make sense as the cut is made on the lower part of the maxilla.

Anyone had a SARPE and can comment on how the surgery changed their overall appearance?

MyTimeIsNow

Re: What are the aesthetic effects of SARPE?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:27:04 PM »
I've seen SARPE results and they were very impressive. Narrow mouth quite frankly is a disgusting trait to have.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:23:33 AM »
SARPE can widen the cheekbones a small amount. It won't be very perceptible in adults though. It is more perceptible in children which is where most of the studies are done . Likewise with the slight clockwise rotation of the maxilla that SARPE can cause.

Yes it can lead to unwanted fullness in the lower cheek area. You should inquire as to whether your lower palate is wider than the upper. If it isn't, SARPE can throw off the balance. SARPE can also throw off the harmony of the face if the upper and central midface aren't wide. I've seen this multiple times. Also, SARPE won't widen the mouth itself to any appreciable degree (if at all). Obviously the width of the mouth is important because it signals the width of that part of the face. If you're going through with SARPE you should be willing to seriously consider widening the mouth. If not, again, the net benefit will be very limited.

Whether a narrow palate is unattractive depends on how narrow it is. Once you've hit a threshold level, it decreases dramatically in relative importance (just like most other maxillofacial strands of beauty). If your palate is very narrow, SARPE is worth it despite all of the above. That is because a very narrow mouth is very unattractive

Milli_Meters

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
I've seen SARPE results and they were very impressive. Narrow mouth quite frankly is a disgusting trait to have.

Based on B n As you saw do you feel my case would benefit from SARPE?

-

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 07:26:42 AM by Milli_Meters »

ppsk

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
I havent seen many SARPE results but the one I did was absolute garbage. I think it was a brazilian guy and it aged his face horribly.

Bowie

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 05:53:16 PM »
SARPE can widen the cheekbones a small amount. It won't be very perceptible in adults though. It is more perceptible in children which is where most of the studies are done . Likewise with the slight clockwise rotation of the maxilla that SARPE can cause.

Yes it can lead to unwanted fullness in the lower cheek area. You should inquire as to whether your lower palate is wider than the upper. If it isn't, SARPE can throw off the balance. SARPE can also throw off the harmony of the face if the upper and central midface aren't wide. I've seen this multiple times. Also, SARPE won't widen the mouth itself to any appreciable degree (if at all). Obviously the width of the mouth is important because it signals the width of that part of the face. If you're going through with SARPE you should be willing to seriously consider widening the mouth. If not, again, the net benefit will be very limited.

Whether a narrow palate is unattractive depends on how narrow it is. Once you've hit a threshold level, it decreases dramatically in relative importance (just like most other maxillofacial strands of beauty). If your palate is very narrow, SARPE is worth it despite all of the above. That is because a very narrow mouth is very unattractive

The only surgery to widen the mouth leaves a risk of food and drink coming out from the extended parts of the mouth / lips

jawsurgeryadvice

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 06:55:52 AM »
I had sarpe done, i like that my smile is wider now (more teeth showing), but it definately made my buccal fat area more 'chubby', so there is less definition in that area (and I already didnt have much definition there).

MyTimeIsNow

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 07:21:39 AM »
Based on B n As you saw do you feel my case would benefit from SARPE?

-
https://imgur.com/Kbfxrou
https://imgur.com/Cn9LIBP

I can't give medical advice. My guess, based on first pic, yes.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 07:26:11 AM »
Ofc , I will discuss it with surgeons. Thanks.