Author Topic: Sliding genioplasty replacing my chin implant  (Read 1596 times)

Esperanza20

Sliding genioplasty replacing my chin implant
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:13:58 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/1KqPv
I currently have a chin implant and am about to get a sliding genioplasty to replace it and have it removed. I have visited two oral surgeons so far. The first told me that a genioplasty would get my the same results as my current chin implant. The surgeon that I'm currently seeing told me that he can add more horizontal length AND alleviate some of the mentolabial fold depth. I about to have this surgery done and am super worried that I'm doing it for nothing. Is it possible to alleviate mentolabial fold depth*without adding any vertical length added through the genioplasty? Did any of you undergo a sliding genioplasty procedure and have the mentolabial fold lessened as a result without adding any vertical length? I didn't want to add any vertical length and have my face looking longer. I can't afford jaw surgery if this isn't the case. This is so stressful. All I wanted was a nice chin dammit

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Sliding genioplasty replacing my chin implant
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »
It's smart to remove that implant, and in theory they can fill in the groove with bone graft or HA paste. I've never really seen that in action, though, so not sure how effective it is. If you do have it done, post the result so people can see if the groove gets filled.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:53:31 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/1KqPv
I currently have a chin implant and am about to get a sliding genioplasty to replace it and have it removed. I have visited two oral surgeons so far. The first told me that a genioplasty would get my the same results as my current chin implant. The surgeon that I'm currently seeing told me that he can add more horizontal length AND alleviate some of the mentolabial fold depth. I about to have this surgery done and am super worried that I'm doing it for nothing. Is it possible to alleviate mentolabial fold depth*without adding any vertical length added through the genioplasty? Did any of you undergo a sliding genioplasty procedure and have the mentolabial fold lessened as a result without adding any vertical length? I didn't want to add any vertical length and have my face looking longer. I can't afford jaw surgery if this isn't the case. This is so stressful. All I wanted was a nice chin dammit

How big is your current implant? What did your fold look like pre-implant? Is the implant riding high?  With genioplasty, they can do all sorts of stuff in regards to shape and movement. I had a displaced implant removed, genioplasty done. Mine was displaced high, so I had mine out asap. It was stressful for me, too, but super releaving once done. My surgeon was/is pretty skilled, so I went in to surgery quite confident. Might seem drastic, but it's relatively painless procedure; about like the implant. They should be able to take some images for you to predict various outcomes (movements). Be sure you're very specific when describing your outcome desires with the surgeons. Although they're are obviously limitations, you're in the pilot seat for the most part. It will also all depend on your/the chin anatomy you started with ,etc. I'm no surgeon, but your chin looks fairly decent, with respect to vertical. Or course I don't know what it looked like pre-implant.  I might think you need more forward movement, so that will do a little for the fold. Surgeon will most likely bring to surgery several sizing plates to be sure the outcome is best. Just be sure theyre experienced so you only do it once.
I had both vertical and horizontal movement, but in my case it was needed. I'm still healing, but yeah, if you need vertical, they would fill in the gap with HA paste (if needed) like my surgeon did. It's quite weird, bc...somehow it reforms nicely after a couple months. Mines still taking shape. Your fold should change some with just horizontal, but don't quote me. Looks as though you would greatly benefit from genioplasty. Again, I don't want to give the impression that it's a miracle procedure, but, next to an implant...there is absolutely no comparison to the outcome. Also, when genioplasty cuts and moves the bone...your soft tissue (lip,skin) will follow too. This is one of the major advantages over the implant's limitations. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Esperanza20

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:00:47 AM »
Thank you very much for this in-depth response. I've never heard of HA paste before you guys mentioned it. But yeah, if anything, I'll at least be happy to get this thing out of my face. My surgeon even said that it's starting to erode into the bone.  But thanks again, you've calmed my nerves a bit haha

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:02:38 AM »
Thank you very much for this in-depth response. I've never heard of HA paste before you guys mentioned it. But yeah, if anything, I'll at least be happy to get this thing out of my face. My surgeon even said that it's starting to erode into the bone.  But thanks again, you've calmed my nerves a bit haha
Mine was doing the same thing, causing major speaking issues and plus the nerve would never heal bc I guess it was retaining pressure. I actually have more feeling now 2 months out from Genioplasty than I did one year after the implant. It's normal to be nervous, but honestly, and not to cause anxiety for you...put your anxiety into the right surgeon as opposed to what can be done. That's one thing I've learned about all these processes; regardless of the surgery, just make sure you're in the right hands. Just like anyone can put an implant in, lots of maxfac docs can do this procedure. I visited with 3 before deciding. Thankfully the one I decided on had both best skill and bedside manner. I'm not sure for all the purposes which they utilize HA paste, but in my case, or when vertical lengthening over a certain amount is done, they fill the gap (between cut and new bone placement) with HA paste so the cut heals better and is more stable in it's mending.