Author Topic: Questions Regarding Bans  (Read 6128 times)

GJ

• Administrator
Questions Regarding Bans
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »
I've received some questions on the forum and via pm lately about bans.

First off, the easy explanation on bans: I have more information than users, and I have the responsibility of running a site.

More nuanced discussion of the issue: in the early years of this forum, we'd have very normal people dropping by daily and sharing their results. That was great, because it lead to information (the surgeon, a verifiable result, etc), and healthy discussion. View a thread from 2012 vs one from 2017 and it's night and day. We don't get those healthy people anymore, and I think it's because of the influx of psychos from the usual channels. It's especially true with females: I haven't seen a female reveal results here in like 3 years. They're probably terrified to get ripped apart.

And people ask why I ban Lestat. Well, it was the possible SJ association, but he was creepy, and people like that create a negative atmosphere that scares others off. The atmosphere here has turned too negative, and it was because I used to have a no-ban policy, which lead to a large influx of toxic personalities.

Now our "reveals" are all pre-surgical and young boys/men who have class 1 bites and jaws and yet still want jaw surgery (and head transplants). They also want all the answers about their case via posting a photo. We used to get pre-surgerial people with severe jaw issues who had cephs to share. You guys should ask yourselves why this is. I know why it is. It's the negative atmosphere. Many of the people I "ban for no reason" contribute to that. So our definition of "no reason" is different. I want a welcoming atmosphere where people feel safe sharing their results.

When I/we see normal people sharing their results again and all the knowledgeable people still sticking around and helping, then I'll know the forum is back to being good. Right now it's meh because of too many lookism types who are still involved. So, they might disappear "for no reason" as we go along.

I encourage normal people reading this to join the forum and share your story, and if people harass you just write me. I encourage the lookism types who I have let hang around to act that way over there and refrain from it here -- get all your rage out somewhere else. Then come here and discuss surgery and respect the other members. That's the gist of it, and hope it explains my thinking so I don't have to keep answering PMs about this. The short of it is I want a positive and highly informative/intellectual environment so people can make decisions, and anything in the way of that must go.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:16:20 PM by GJ »
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Questions Regarding Bans
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 03:03:49 PM »
Wow! Great explanation.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

needadvancement

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
Precisely why I haven't browsed this forum much this year. This new policy is good to hear, now I feel like coming back.

Bobbit

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »
Well said.  Thank you.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:28:10 PM »
What if there's a serial killer on this forum who's hunting down jaw surgery patients?

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »
As somebody who used to be more active(and underwent double jaw surgery a month ago for a pretty serious openbite deformity) I have to agree with most of this. Im hesitant to post anything, let alone pictures because I dont want anything to end up on puahate or whatever the popular forum is these days for those types, until the end of the internet. I remembered I actually reversed image searched a pic I saw on here because I remember seeing it on a blog and I wanted to find the blog and I found a whole discussion on one of those forums. I do not want to be the subject of one of those discussions. The other aspect is that I dont begrudge anybody for the decisions they make relating to what they do to their bodies but I do feel like forums like this and the oral surgery section of archwired should be for people with actual jaw deformities not people who are trying to become models. When the discussion is all centered around people that have no clinical skeletal deformity I dont even know how to contribute so I dont. That all being said I dont know if banning those people will really make a difference as they can still view the forum and save whatever pictures that get posted.

Bowie

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »
As somebody who used to be more active(and underwent double jaw surgery a month ago for a pretty serious openbite deformity) I have to agree with most of this. Im hesitant to post anything, let alone pictures because I dont want anything to end up on puahate or whatever the popular forum is these days for those types, until the end of the internet. I remembered I actually reversed image searched a pic I saw on here because I remember seeing it on a blog and I wanted to find the blog and I found a whole discussion on one of those forums. I do not want to be the subject of one of those discussions. The other aspect is that I dont begrudge anybody for the decisions they make relating to what they do to their bodies but I do feel like forums like this and the oral surgery section of archwired should be for people with actual jaw deformities not people who are trying to become models. When the discussion is all centered around people that have no clinical skeletal deformity I dont even know how to contribute so I dont. That all being said I dont know if banning those people will really make a difference as they can still view the forum and save whatever pictures that get posted.
Completely agree, everyone is terrified to post any pictures exactly because of this and what can we do?
I do think, however, that it's a good thing other procedures are discussed on here. When someone has recessed jaws usually other parts of the face will be recessed so discussing holistic solutions is good IMO.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »
Completely agree, everyone is terrified to post any pictures exactly because of this and what can we do?
I do think, however, that it's a good thing other procedures are discussed on here. When someone has recessed jaws usually other parts of the face will be recessed so discussing holistic solutions is good IMO.

Ya form and function are related also.  Nothing wrong with discussing cosmetic aspect of surgery , after all there is a section called "aesthetics".Most active section too. As long as the discussion is relevant and civil.

Bowie

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
I would support GJ in taking an even more hardline approach to these "deplorables", the adjective is actually justified here.
I mean we have a member here called "boyo" FFS we know that term was widely used on lookism.

In 2012 / 13, when I was searching for the guy who turned out to be my surgeon, it lead me to some puahate threads and I can tell you the user "extractionsruinsfaces" is also from there. Don't tolerate them GJ even if they are acting civil, we all know that a sick ideology has been burnt into their minds.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »
Well , I do not think its fair to judge everyone on lookism.net as the same.

I just interacted with Boyo. He seems like a helpful chap and his posts here are relevant. Maybe he assumed the name in a subversive/sarcastic way?

Without encroaching on privacy , extractionsruinsfaces is going through some very harsh stuff in his life. Again , his posts here are relevant.

Lookism is a symptom of the human condition not some independent evil. While I totally get why GJ is circumspect of the overlap between the 2 forums , I do not think there should a blanket prejudice against lookism posters here.

Bowie

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:31 AM »
Well , I do not think its fair to judge everyone on lookism.net as the same.

I just interacted with Boyo. He seems like a helpful chap and his posts here are relevant. Maybe he assumed the name in a subversive/sarcastic way?

Without encroaching on privacy , extractionsruinsfaces is going through some very harsh stuff in his life. Again , his posts here are relevant.

Lookism is a symptom of the human condition not some independent evil. While I totally get why GJ is circumspect of the overlap between the 2 forums , I do not think there should a blanket prejudice against lookism posters here.
Oh I know extractionsruinsfaces is going through awful circumstances, I gave him some very good advice as my father suffers from the same illness but he didn't thank or even acknowledge me for that. Boyo has acted like a decent chap but you know most people are intelligent enough to act in accordance to their surroundings.

I am usually very open minded but sorry that site should be shut down and we can't trust anyone who comes from there IMO

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 10:28:45 AM »

This is why the private forum was created. Only the most trusted people get access.
Another option is to close the public forum from view unless you have an approved login (I now view every registration attempt, whereas in the past I left that up to the user). That might slow down traffic a lot, but guests wouldn't be able to read it.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Lestat

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
Private forum??

Milli_Meters

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »
Yes there is a private forum , where the magic happens.

Bowie

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 10:39:54 AM »
Private forum??
Not for the likes of you and me