Author Topic: Will lowering the upper jaw change the nose?  (Read 3831 times)

Ezra

Will lowering the upper jaw change the nose?
« on: September 20, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »
Will lowering the upper jaw a few mm have an aesthetic change to the nose? My orthodontist said I have nothing to worry about. The nose can change when you move the upper jaw forward, but  lowering it straight down, vertically isn't a problem. Thoughts?

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Will lowering the upper jaw change the nose?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »
Will lowering the upper jaw a few mm have an aesthetic change to the nose? My orthodontist said I have nothing to worry about. The nose can change when you move the upper jaw forward, but  lowering it straight down, vertically isn't a problem. Thoughts?

Probably not. But it might elongate the philtrum.
If the nose did change it would widen slightly from the muscles detaching. Since they're detached for all procedures, that's possible no matter the movement. Make sure to ask for the Alar stitch.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Ezra

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
Probably not. But it might elongate the philtrum.
If the nose did change it would widen slightly from the muscles detaching. Since they're detached for all procedures, that's possible no matter the movement. Make sure to ask for the Alar stitch.

Okay, I will ask for the Alar Stitch. Thank you! I'm down to widen my nose, tbh. I just don't want it turned upwards, at all, as it is already teetering towards feminine.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
https://imgur.com/LOBvSLz

This Individual had the maxilla moved down 9- 10 mms. Nose is more or less the same.

Ezra

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »

This Individual had the maxilla moved down 9- 10 mms. Nose is more or less the same.

Wow, he looks great. The nose front view looks possibly less upturned, which is an improvement for him. Hard to say though, it does look the same, which is good.

edit- probably just the angle of his head.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »

I'm not getting this stuff of putting the doc's photo on a photo site. Why not just link directly to the site where the photo is found. Here's the link where it shows the profile nose change. http://www.facialsculptureclinic.com/en/case/jaw-surgery/-lower-jaw-too-short-overbite-deep-bite/169/
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 02:46:03 PM »
I have these pics uploaded on imgur. Searching through different sites takes a while.

But even in profile his nose looks the same.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:58:17 PM by Milli_Meters »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »
I have these pics uploaded on imgur. Searching through different sites takes a while.

Buy even in profile his nose looks the same.

The nose doesn't look the 'same'. It's clearly longer from root to sub-nasa and has more projection to it.
Plus just sticking the doctor's photo (one of them) on the Imgur site, and when the same doctor has OTHER photos and an EXPLANATION of what was done and why, the person you are showing it to that way, might not realize there are other shots and explanations to look at.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »
Well to me his nose looks more or less the same in all shots and certainly not different in a detrimental way to the point where it exceeds all that the guy gained cosmetically.

Yeah fair enough will try to post original links in future but ofcourse interested parties can reverse search the images. It just takes a while to find stuff sometimes and Dr DF removes/shuffles his B n A s so I was not sure if I would find the original.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
Well to me his nose looks more or less the same in all shots and certainly not different in a detrimental way to the point where it exceeds all that the guy gained cosmetically.

Yeah fair enough will try to post original links in future but ofcourse interested parties can reverse search the images. It just takes a while to find stuff sometimes and Dr DF removes/shuffles his B n A s so I was not sure if I would find the original.

Well, it looks different (longer and more projected) but better given the specific situation of the guy in the photo. I did reverse search to find it but not sure if everyone knows to do that.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 03:11:29 PM »

Have you also asked your rhino surgeon the same question?

Milli_Meters

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
Well, it looks different (longer and more projected) but better given the specific situation of the guy in the photo. I did reverse search to find it but not sure if everyone knows to do that.

Ya maybe its a tad longer but goes well with his over all more vertical face. FWIW I did inquire Dr DF himself on how much this guy's upper jaw was moved down. And he said "atleast 7mms". So added some info thats not on the source page.  His chin was also vertically lengthened 4 - 5mms.

Ezra

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 04:42:42 PM »
Have you also asked your rhino surgeon the same question?

No but I see him next week. I'll share on here what he says.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 04:46:51 PM »
No but I see him next week. I'll share on here what he says.

Thanks. Good luck. I also need a downgraft so feel free to PM me. I have some info regarding the dynamics that u might find useful.

Ezra

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 05:41:48 PM »

I wonder if the projection is just due to normal growth. The description said he was 17. I'm wondering if the before pics were him at 15-16. I know my nose kept projecting at that age.