Author Topic: Will lowering the upper jaw change the nose?  (Read 3836 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Will lowering the upper jaw change the nose?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 05:52:48 PM »

I wonder if the projection is just due to normal growth. The description said he was 17. I'm wondering if the before pics were him at 15-16. I know my nose kept projecting at that age.

I don't know when the before photos were taken. It's common to have people wait till approx 18 for surgery when most of the growth is finished.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Framboise

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 12:46:05 AM »
https://imgur.com/LOBvSLz

This Individual had the maxilla moved down 9- 10 mms. Nose is more or less the same.

9-10 mm ?????? It's huge

Milli_Meters

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 12:50:43 AM »
The doc said "atleast 7mm" . 9 - 10 is what I guessed based on that. You can see there is a substantive difference. He had a scrunched up face before. So 8 - 10 mm sounds right imo.

Framboise

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 12:53:18 AM »
Maybe it's the lower jaw advancement that is giving you the impression of such a lowering.

Here's a guy who have just a lower jaw advancement. His face looks longer but have no upper jaw extrusion.

Coming back to the subject, I think that an extrusion limits the damages done to the nose after a Lefort 1.

Framboise

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 12:59:39 AM »
Sorry Mili I haven't seen your answer when I've post  :-[

.... I'm asking a lot of questions about upper jaw extrusion, because a vertical growth is not a good thing, so why doing it ?
I was told it restores vertical dimension but it happens under the nose.

Benjamin has the chance to have normal orbital rim but for a lot of people, I think the vertical dimension has to be restore under the eyes. Under the nose may worsen some people's face.

(I hope my english is comprehensible and my post relevant !!!!!)

Milli_Meters

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 01:02:29 AM »
His chin was moved down an additional 3 - 4 mms. But I am talking about the maxilla . It was moved down "atleast 7mm" according to the surgeon. Its not my "impression" . I asked him very specifically about this case because its a very impressive result.

Yes I share your feeling about extrusion being a mitigating force in terms of nasal impact with upper jaw advancement.

Here is a case where upper jaw was advanced 20 mm and moved down 14 mm - https://pocketdentistry.com/wp-content/uploads/285/B9781455726981000320_f032-021gi-9781455726981.jpg

Nose looks about the same....odd after such massive movement. Maybe something was done to the nose..idk . He had a lip lift also I think.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:17:43 AM by Milli_Meters »

Milli_Meters

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 01:06:17 AM »
Sorry Mili I haven't seen your answer when I've post  :-[

.... I'm asking a lot of questions about upper jaw extrusion, because a vertical growth is not a good thing, so why doing it ?
I was told it restores vertical dimension but it happens under the nose.

Benjamin has the chance to have normal orbital rim but for a lot of people, I think the vertical dimension has to be restore under the eyes. Under the nose may worsen some people's face.

(I hope my english is comprehensible and my post relevant !!!!!)

Well it is about balance. Extrusion is indicated if one's upper jaw is too short. Like when one smiles and teeth dont show etc It looks edentulous and aged.  Showing nice amount of teeth is so crucial aesthetically and how would that happen with vertically short maxilla. You do not want a long maxilla but also not too short. Balance is key.