Author Topic: Question about new users / private messages  (Read 1530 times)

Ezra

Question about new users / private messages
« on: September 20, 2017, 01:38:21 PM »
I'm trying to message a couple users privately about their experience. I can receive messages from others, if they initiate the conversation. However, when I try to send a message to someone first, it doesn't show up in my sent items. They don't respond. I don't think they are getting my PM's. Is this a thing? Do I not have enough posts to send a PM?

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Question about new users / private messages
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »
I'm trying to message a couple users privately about their experience. I can receive messages from others, if they initiate the conversation. However, when I try to send a message to someone first, it doesn't show up in my sent items. They don't respond. I don't think they are getting my PM's. Is this a thing? Do I not have enough posts to send a PM?

We don't use a "sent" folder. It keeps overhead down. I could look into adding one, but it shouldn't be necessary since if you hit send it goes to the user.

I checked permissions, and you certainly have the user rights to send PMs. So if they're not responding then it's because they're not responding; it's nothing to do with the message system.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Ezra

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »
We don't use a "sent" folder. It keeps overhead down. I could look into adding one, but it shouldn't be necessary since if you hit send it goes to the user.

I checked permissions, and you certainly have the user rights to send PMs. So if they're not responding then it's because they're not responding; it's nothing to do with the message system.

Oh crap. I must be really annoying then, because I have sent them multiple PMs. Sorry guys, if you happen to read this...

Also, you do have a "sent" folder, which is misleading because nothing ever shows up in the folder and there is no message indicating that it isn't actually real. Thanks for the response.

Ezra

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
In your 'My Messages', if you hover your cursor over 'Messages', you can select the 'sent items' folder.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
In your 'My Messages', if you hover your cursor over 'Messages', you can select the 'sent items' folder.

I'll look into that, and maybe considering having those kept.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »
I think you have to elect the option to save a copy.  Otherwise, be sure to use the quote function when responding to a pm.

Also, you can check to see when a user has last checked in.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.