Author Topic: Question about lips  (Read 1669 times)

tdawg

• Private
Question about lips
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »
What is considered "at rest" in regards to the lips? What state are the lips supposed to be in when they measure incisor display at rest? Is it normal tone with no mentalis contraction or is it no tone whatsoever. Because I can let my lips relax in a mouth breathing posture like this guy in this photo:

but when I am walking around during the day my upper lip is a little bit more contracted.

When they say at rest is the upper lip supposed to be like the guy in the photo?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:23:52 AM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about lips
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
What is considered "at rest" in regards to the lips? What state are the lips supposed to be in when they measure incisor display at rest? Is it normal tone with no mentalis contraction or is it no tone whatsoever. Because I can let my lips relax in a mouth breathing posture like this guy in this photo:

but when I am walking around during the day my upper lip is a little bit more contracted.

When they say at rest is the upper lip supposed to be like the guy in the photo?

I removed the overly large photo of the guy sleeping.

'At rest' measures aren't done while someone is lying down sleeping. It refers to a relaxed lip position with lips slightly apart. Here is link to photo.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Abby_Abraham2/publication/282963132/figure/fig5/AS:319455667212299@1453175574878/Fig-5-Maximal-central-incisor-display-at-rest-was-measured-as-the-distance-from-the.png
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
I know the definition but let me use pictures to illustrate my question.

I always thought "lips at rest" meant something like this:

but when I took my pre-surgery photos they had me pose like this with no tone whatsoever:

So what I am asking is, is it supposed to be without any tone at all like in the second photo?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
I know the definition but let me use pictures to illustrate my question.

I always thought "lips at rest" meant something like this:

but when I took my pre-surgery photos they had me pose like this with no tone whatsoever:

So what I am asking is, is it supposed to be without any tone at all like in the second photo?

Lips at 'rest' refers to how they want them to be separated enough so they can MEASURE tooth show as in the photo I provided where you see the calipers measuring the tooth show. It's not meant to be a measure of the muscle tone of your lips.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 01:22:13 PM »

Lips at 'rest' refers to how they want them to be separated enough so they can MEASURE tooth show as in the photo I provided where you see the calipers measuring the tooth show. It's not meant to be a measure of the muscle tone of your lips.

Right and I guess I am bad at making this point but when I relax my lips and separate them but keep some tone they show a certain amount of tooth show. When I remove all tone my lip moves outward and as a result I show more of my maxillary teeth. What I am asking is, is the measurement in mm for incisor display at rest meant to be done more like the first photo which has some tone and less tooth show as a result or more like the second with no tone and more tooth show as a result?