General Category > Functional Surgery Questions

TMJ disorder improval after jaw surgery ?

(1/6) > >>

Framboise:
I would like to know if someone have had a jaw surgery (not a TMJ surgery) for a class 2 while suffering from articular pain and if the surgery has solved this issue.

Bowie:

--- Quote from: Framboise on September 22, 2017, 12:47:14 AM ---I would like to know if someone have had a jaw surgery (not a TMJ surgery) for a class 2 while suffering from articular pain and if the surgery has solved this issue.

--- End quote ---

I don't understand how jaw surgery helps tmj disorder, I know it is meant to but I don't understand how if the joint is left the same.
Is it just that muscles are meant to be less strained when the jaws are in the proper position?

I have TMJ issues that come and go, surgery didn't change that for me but my bite wasn't changed either so that could be why.

kavan:

--- Quote from: Bowie on September 22, 2017, 03:01:12 AM ---I don't understand how jaw surgery helps tmj disorder, I know it is meant to but I don't understand how if the joint is left the same.
Is it just that muscles are meant to be less strained when the jaws are in the proper position?

I have TMJ issues that come and go, surgery didn't change that for me but my bite wasn't changed either so that could be why.

--- End quote ---

Movement of the mandible is via a ball and socket joint. The 'ball' part of it which is really a 'head' connected to other structures of the mandible..how that part rotates in the socket...with mandible movement is a function of the orientation of the rest of the mandible. So the surgery is aimed at giving a better orientation.

Bowie:

--- Quote from: kavan on September 22, 2017, 08:01:17 AM ---Movement of the mandible is via a ball and socket joint. The 'ball' part of it which is really a 'head' connected to other structures of the mandible..how that part rotates in the socket...with mandible movement is a function of the orientation of the rest of the mandible. So the surgery is aimed at giving a better orientation.

--- End quote ---
Ok that makes sense thanks

Rico:
it's rather not possible to treat TMJD doing surgery on jaw.  success rate is minimal

more likely you will get worse symptoms

you have to find good dentist to get proper orthotic
Have you tried ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version