Author Topic: TMJ disorder improval after jaw surgery ?  (Read 4398 times)

Framboise

TMJ disorder improval after jaw surgery ?
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:47:14 AM »
I would like to know if someone have had a jaw surgery (not a TMJ surgery) for a class 2 while suffering from articular pain and if the surgery has solved this issue.

Bowie

Re: TMJ disorder improval after jaw surgery ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:01:12 AM »
I would like to know if someone have had a jaw surgery (not a TMJ surgery) for a class 2 while suffering from articular pain and if the surgery has solved this issue.

I don't understand how jaw surgery helps tmj disorder, I know it is meant to but I don't understand how if the joint is left the same.
Is it just that muscles are meant to be less strained when the jaws are in the proper position?

I have TMJ issues that come and go, surgery didn't change that for me but my bite wasn't changed either so that could be why.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:01:17 AM »
I don't understand how jaw surgery helps tmj disorder, I know it is meant to but I don't understand how if the joint is left the same.
Is it just that muscles are meant to be less strained when the jaws are in the proper position?

I have TMJ issues that come and go, surgery didn't change that for me but my bite wasn't changed either so that could be why.

Movement of the mandible is via a ball and socket joint. The 'ball' part of it which is really a 'head' connected to other structures of the mandible..how that part rotates in the socket...with mandible movement is a function of the orientation of the rest of the mandible. So the surgery is aimed at giving a better orientation.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Bowie

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 08:53:45 AM »
Movement of the mandible is via a ball and socket joint. The 'ball' part of it which is really a 'head' connected to other structures of the mandible..how that part rotates in the socket...with mandible movement is a function of the orientation of the rest of the mandible. So the surgery is aimed at giving a better orientation.
Ok that makes sense thanks

Rico

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:25:24 AM »
it's rather not possible to treat TMJD doing surgery on jaw.  success rate is minimal

more likely you will get worse symptoms

you have to find good dentist to get proper orthotic
Have you tried ?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:33:50 AM »
it's rather not possible to treat TMJD doing surgery on jaw.  success rate is minimal

Have you tried ?

The OP, (in another string) reports she has condylar resorption. Which means that any surgery she got would have to be with the AIM of improving joint function. So, surgery to the jaws as to change the orientation of them can be done when the AIM is to relieve stress to the joint.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1305829/

Please read academic articles before making patent blanket statements.

Bowie

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »
Kavan do you know if teeth clenching together can cause condylar resorption? I have some sort of swallowing disorder and it can make my jaws crash together really hard when I swallow.

My joints hurt because of this.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 01:50:52 PM »
Kavan do you know if teeth clenching together can cause condylar resorption? I have some sort of swallowing disorder and it can make my jaws crash together really hard when I swallow.

Gee Bowie, I don't know that much. Clenching often causes masseter muscle soreness.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »

Do you have a posterior open bite and/or traumatic bite?

You could be compressing the condyle when they hit. Are you sure it's in the joint and not the muscles near the joint?
What's the swallowing disorder? Like, describe it...e.g. is your jaw spasming and hitting hard?
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Bowie

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »

You could be compressing the condyle when they hit. Are you sure it's in the joint and not the muscles near the joint?

Yes exactly I'm sure that is happening, I have been everywhere, no doctors or even Professors know what is causing it.
I saw a GP today who thought of 4 treatments to try.
It feels like the area around the thyroid cartilage is ... I don't know like something is too big there and making every swallow produce a lot of force, sometimes the jaws will clash together, other times the tonge will thrust or mostly the thyroid cartilage will hit my neck really hard.

It actually started 5 months before my jaw surgery so it isn't because of that.

It started in 2014, came out of nowhere it's so bizarre.
It's driving me crazy every swallow is painful so I live in constant stress fearing the next swallow.

Bowie

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
Do you have a posterior open bite and/or traumatic bite?

My occlusion is terrible on one side, I don't think I have an open bite, I had a slightly open bite before surgery but my surgeon made it better somehow.

Bowie

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »
Oh I have had my thyroid checked and had an MRI no one thinks it is a problem with the thyroid,b like a goiter or anything.

Rico

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »
ok lets get numbers .. Risks of surgery on TMJs

for 50% eustachian tubes dysfunction and or losing hearing due to possible damage of chorda tympani nerve and ligament which connects condyle (or nearby structures) with the malleus. the ligament and the nerve are behind the condyle. Very hard to treat it. Some surgeons even do not know those things goes there

for 50% symptoms will be worse immediately after surgery or later

this is reserved only for the most critical cases, as the success rate is very bad...it should be done only if there is no other option, becasue for 50% it will be worse, but good luck...I understand you I also got TMJD, hoperfully as far not critical case, but it's bad
I got ETD since the condyle crushed the nerve it's retruded   ...very bad symptoms

Framboise

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 12:24:58 AM »
t's rather not possible to treat TMJD doing surgery on jaw.  success rate is minimal

Have you tried ?

I think a mandibular advancement will make pain worse too. When I do it mecanically, just a few milimiters, pain becomes awful for hours.
I avoid talking too, if not I have to take acetaminophen.

I've tried few splint therapy, but the least piece of plastic between my teeth makes the pain worse for DAYS. It's like a splint forces my mouth to stay open which is the position I have to avoid.

Don't know what to do.

Plus I have sleep apnea so I feel trapped.

Rico

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 01:08:12 AM »
I think a mandibular advancement will make pain worse too. When I do it mecanically, just a few milimiters, pain becomes awful for hours.
I avoid talking too, if not I have to take acetaminophen.

I've tried few splint therapy, but the least piece of plastic between my teeth makes the pain worse for DAYS. It's like a splint forces my mouth to stay open which is the position I have to avoid.

Don't know what to do.

Plus I have sleep apnea so I feel trapped.

try orthotic
find good GNM dentist

if you are on Facebook.  look for tmjd group where you can find the group and Dr Clayton and others

it costss 10 000 Eur (Germany. UK) to 40 000 and 80 000$ in USA. I mean overal treatment, not just a plastic device

orthotic is not regular splint.

Even me uses repositioning splint, which in my country is not performed in 99% of dentist offices